Lido-E vs Ditting KR805 - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
TallDan

#11: Post by TallDan »

dukeja wrote:Greeting! Ditting Mafia! :lol:

If you turned back 2 small clicks after burr touching, as it is depicted in the manual, then I am 1 full numerical reading (4 small clicks) coarser than you are. So my 4.5 will be your 5.5. I was confused and went to the other way when I replied Acavia (I have corrected my replied now).

So it looks like you guys are even finer than I have tried, which is very interesting. I do feel the coarseness adjustment on Ditting has very high resolution so the change is very small compare to other grinder that I used before.
I turned backed less than a click from touching. If i put some pressure on the dial at zero, I will get some light burr touch.

I was thinking about it backwards last night when I was reading this, but you're right, at any given number, mine should be finer than yours, however, since I have SSP burrs, not the original ditting burrs, our grind may not be directly comparable anyway.

dukeja (original poster)

#12: Post by dukeja (original poster) »

Acavia wrote:My 804 grinds are not even comparable to the size I ground with a Comandante - it would almost be the difference between normal flour (my 804 V60 grinds look like powder unless I spread them out) and kosher salt. That is not a knock on the Comandante - I was grinding too coarse with it but in the range that most use for V60, 22 clicks.
Thanks a lot for the comparison since I was looking for Comandante for a long time. As we knew it, it is almost impossible to get a new one ATM. The good thing is that Ditting is already so much more than I can explore now. :D It is also interesting to note the difference of conical burr and large flat burr.

I have perfect the paralle alignment of my Feima with 60mm SSP burr. It is vertical flat burr, so the ground sent out differently. With only 1lb of bean through it, I still see some fines piling on top of it. It could be that burr is still new. Or maybe it is just the way vertical burr output its ground distribution. I'll report back later.

Advertisement
dukeja (original poster)

#13: Post by dukeja (original poster) »

TallDan wrote:I turned backed less than a click from touching. If i put some pressure on the dial at zero, I will get some light burr touch.
Thanks for the reply. Just curious, is KR804 smallest digit on dial "0"? My KR805 is "1".

Acavia

#14: Post by Acavia replying to dukeja »

No number, just labeled, "Turkish" but would be a "1" consistent with the next being a "2."

Acavia

#15: Post by Acavia »

dukeja wrote:Hay, thanks a lot for letting me know. It is great to hear from another Ditting owner to confirm it. When I got my KR805, I thought it grinds too fine for my V60 brew since I used quite coarser grind with my Lido-E. So I intentionally shift my knob to be able to grind coarser. But now on this new journey my grinds get finer and finer. My 4.5 will probably similar to your 5.5(edit: it is corrected now). And I can easily achieve 2:15 drain out time with Colombia City+ roast and Ethiopian beans at City drains out about 2:30. And I stop pouring at about 1:55.

Yes, I was pretty amazed by how fine I can go down to without tasting any defects (maybe a pat on the shoulder on the roaster, ha ha :wink: ).
I have been going coarser lately, 5.4 to 6.0 range, with the resulting coffee being better. I think there might be micro-channeling around 5 and finer. I noticed when swirling a bloom, in a V60, that below 5.5, the finer I go the more grounds lump together in the bloom. Brew time has decreased some but not a great amount - around 3:00 to 3:10 versus 3:20 to 3:30 range.

Solar_pheasant

#16: Post by Solar_pheasant »

Do you think that the increase in fines on the Feima are a result of the motor speed? I know that the Chinese version runs at 2000 RPM which is quite a bit higher than most grinders.

Acavia

#17: Post by Acavia »

dukeja wrote:Greeting! Ditting Mafia! :lol:

If you turned back 2 small clicks after burr touching, as it is depicted in the manual, then I am 1 full numerical reading (4 small clicks) coarser than you are. So my 4.5 will be your 5.5. I was confused and went to the other way when I replied Acavia (I have corrected my replied now).

So it looks like you guys are even finer than I have tried, which is very interesting. I do feel the coarseness adjustment on Ditting has very high resolution so the change is very small compare to other grinder that I used before.
I just calibrated my 804 tonight. I was curious what the setting was, but after disengaging the dial at"1" Turkish, and moving to ~4, then reengaging it, I forgot to note how far I had go counter-clockwise before the burrs chirped. I think it was about 3/4 of a full setting. I then backed off a full setting, e.g. I was at ~3 when it chirped then backed off to ~4, disengaged the dial and locked it there are a "1" Turkish. So I assume I am one whole setting coarser than a zero calibration.

Why I am confused: The KR804 manual, when describing that calibration process, says to backoff "1 line" from the burrs rubbing. On a KR 804 dial, there is a line every half setting. I assume that instruction means one of those half setting lines when it states "1 line." The reason I am confused is because of the following video were a Ditting official states the calibration recommendation is one setting, but he is recommending one and half setting to the customer in the video. He is also confusing because he initially says a "line" and to ignore numbers but later says it is at 4 1/4 when it chirps, so he moved the dial to 5 and 3/4 for the one and half settings calibration he was recommending for the customer.

Anyway: with me going one full number setting coarser from the burrs rubbing, I think my calibration is now 1 setting coarser than base - so my 5 is a base 6 and my 7 is base 8. Agree?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ilyv9rNTrBY

Advertisement
Tj.

#18: Post by Tj. »

Hi everyone. Reading this thread, I felt compelled to reply as I also own a Lido E and Ditting 805 (Tanzania actually, same thing I suppose).
Acavia wrote:...Ditting official states the calibration recommendation is one setting, but he is recommending one and half setting to the customer in the video. He is also confusing because he initially says a "line" and to ignore numbers but later says it is at 4 1/4 when it chirps, so he moved the dial to 5 and 3/4 for the one and half settings calibration he was recommending for the customer.
video
The recommended calibration has no real merit anyways. I have mine calibrated such that the finest setting is one (maybe 2) small lines before chirping. I brew with a Hario cloth pourover and use between 3.5 and 5.5 depending on the coffee. My lighter "Nordic style" roasts have been loving the very fine ~3.5-4 range. More developed City+ roasts were tasting better a full setting coarser, 4.5-5. This is while brewing about 24g in at a time. It is so finely ground that a lot of patience is required to prevent excessive channeling.

Edit: To amend my previous post, 3.5 is very fine. I can go as coarse as 6.5 on some brews depending on my taste preferences that week and of course depending on the coffee and dose.

Acavia

#19: Post by Acavia »

dukeja wrote:Hay, thanks a lot for letting me know. It is great to hear from another Ditting owner to confirm it. When I got my KR805, I thought it grinds too fine for my V60 brew since I used quite coarser grind with my Lido-E. So I intentionally shift my knob to be able to grind coarser. But now on this new journey my grinds get finer and finer. My 4.5 will probably similar to your 5.5(edit: it is corrected now). And I can easily achieve 2:15 drain out time with Colombia City+ roast and Ethiopian beans at City drains out about 2:30. And I stop pouring at about 1:55.

Yes, I was pretty amazed by how fine I can go down to without tasting any defects (maybe a pat on the shoulder on the roaster, ha ha :wink: ).
Have you tried coarser? I recently started testing coarser and found the coffee to develop more sweetness, smoothness and depth. I did a 7 on 804 Sweet and it was similar to the 4.5 to 6 grinds for the coffee when hot-warm, but after it cooled some it had much more sweetness that was more fruity and deeper/smoother. It would be worth a test, and I would be curious how you found it.