Lido Basic?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
JohnBee

#1: Post by JohnBee »

Hi, I just received a Lido Basic grinder, and would like some advice on whether my expectations were perhaps too high?

With that said, I've been making and grinding coffee for about 5 years now, and have owned a host of hand grinders, none of which would constitute high-end imo. Though I may retract this, based on my latest purchase, as I fear my expectations may not be realistic?

My grinder experiences consists of about 5 hand grinders, ranging from dirt-cheap to around 150CAD

Of which, I couldn't complain, as this proved to be my learning experience, and where I concluded I'd eventually purchase a really good grinder - thus the 'Lido Basic', based on, hopper size, burrs and grind quality and durability(or warranty).

However, and after getting the unit, and maybe I am too prone to hype, I can't help but find that it is not as accurate as my Vzaahu Coffee Grinder, which was both cheap and has terribly design flaws, but seems to produced better looking grinds in-terms of consistency, and in comparison with the Lido Basic.

And so I wanted to ask before calling it, as I would have to jump to conclusions - if there was anything I could look at, or do in-terms of adjustments etc, that could help improve the grind size?

On the settling or breaking-in side of things, I have ground approximately 6 pots(Chemex) of coffee with the grinder to date.
Whereas my grind settings are in the range of coarse salt, and is typical for my pour-over style brews.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#2: Post by baldheadracing »

Welcome to H-B!

The Etzinger burrs used in the Lido are made with very hard uncoated tool steel. Their burrs are much harder than the relatively-soft stainless steel used in your previous grinder. However, that means that your new grinder will need significant break-in.

For example, breaking in my Fixie - which has the same burrs as your Lido - took me 1/2 kg of Minute rice (instant rice, not regular rice) and about 1/2 kg of light-roast coffee ground fine.

Orphan Espresso doesn't recommend using Minute rice - feeding in too much rice at once can bind the burrs. They do say a month or so of constant use - so grinding about 2kg of coffee - is about what is needed for break-in.

All that to say keep using the grinder and it'll get better over time.

Good luck!
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Kaffee Bitte

#3: Post by Kaffee Bitte »

Baldheadracing is spot on. Don't give up. It will improve considerably. Don't fall down the burr seasoning hole, just to buy another grinder that also needs seasoning.

An option that can speed the process a bit, if you don't mind the dark roast, is take some heavy oil dark roast and run it through. This will coat the burrs a bit faster. But it has a down side in that you have dark oily beans in the grinder afterwards. This can be remedied a bit by running lighter roasts after.

Personally I usually just start using the grinder with the beans I have when I swap burrs and let the seasoning happen. Just ride the weird grinds out until they are in the happy zone.
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

MrFrench

#4: Post by MrFrench »

I've had a lido et for years and it's stilll my espresso daily driver. It's a little big and beat up at this point but it's a tank and delivery the gooooods! Stick with it. OE make great stuff.

JohnBee (original poster)

#5: Post by JohnBee (original poster) »

Just to update, I'm beginning to think the burr on my unit may be out of alignment.

After watching some videos intended for previous models, I was able to follow a basic alignment procedure and found my burr to be rubbing on half rotation for about five marks out from zero.

Which seems significant in comparison to the units in the videos who appeared smooth and quiet from the moment the adjuster was moved away from zero.

With that said, the videos also appeared to suggest that these grinders come with basic tools; cleaning brush, screwdriver, etc. though my unit did not come with anything other than the grinder itself and glass hopper. Though I did notice empty spaces(voids) in the packaging shell. Which had me wondering if something was missing from the box, which looked previously opened.

At any rate, I sent an email to the sellers in hopes that they will help figure out if the unit is out of calibration and if anything needs to be done to improve the quality of the grinds at this current time.

Thanks for the suggestions and warm welcome!
John

baldheadracing
Team HB

#6: Post by baldheadracing »

You should get a brush and a hex tool, see pics: https://www.oehandgrinders.com/oe-lido- ... inder.html
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada