Lido 3 shifting alignment?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Gig103

Postby Gig103 » Aug 14, 2019, 5:13 pm

I've only had my Lido 3 since April. Today I found that the zero point (where I cannot tighten it anymore without using force) has shifted 5 bars to the left of the blue indicator. Is this something that happens as it breaks in? I have not disassembled it once even for cleaning I usually just open up the burrs to something coarse and get the brush in there.

Stanford55

Postby Stanford55 » Aug 14, 2019, 5:36 pm

I've had mine for about as long and noticed a little drifting, maybe a couple notches. I found the stock 'zero' markings to be quite dubious; assuming zero is the point where the burrs are barely touching—therefore providing some resistance—there was no resistance where the blue indicators lined up. Apparently, like so many things in life, the settings are arbitrary; you have to make your own mark.

This is a bit off topic, but would you mind sharing your settings and brew methods? I'm at about 8 notches for medium roast pour over, and 12 for cold brew (I've gotten to the point where I find that spot where the burrs barely touch, and count the notches from the small blue mark as I tighten. The larger blue mark is irrelevant to me. I'm not sure if this is advisable, but it's worked so far).

Yan

Postby Yan » Aug 14, 2019, 6:27 pm

Gig103 wrote:I've only had my Lido 3 since April. Today I found that the zero point (where I cannot tighten it anymore without using force) has shifted 5 bars to the left of the blue indicator. Is this something that happens as it breaks in? I have not disassembled it once even for cleaning I usually just open up the burrs to something coarse and get the brush in there.

After 2 years shifted from -2 to -4 from blue mark, no problem with the results, but already sold after I have Apex, no burr rubb at blue mark, easy to open all the parts, clean and reassemble.
There's an alignment guide vid in YouTube just follow the instructions it really help the alignment process.

orphanespresso

Postby orphanespresso » Aug 16, 2019, 3:14 pm

Just a note - the blue mark on the adjustment ring is merely a reference mark so you can tell how far, how many notches or marks you move the adjustment ring. The blue mark does not indicate 'true zero' as 'true zero' is subjective, depending on the users 'feel' of what is locked, or touching. The 'movement' you observe is normal, for all grinders that do not have a mechanical stop limiting the lowest end of the grind range. This is normal.
Barb