Lid for Kinu M47?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Kind_Karma

#1: Post by Kind_Karma »

Has anyone found anything that can work as a lid for Kinu M47?

If I get a Kinu M47, I want to find something that will work as a lid. I want to be able to keep debris out of the grinder for storage and travel. Also, would help for any possible popcorning or if I accidently tip the grinder at an angle while grinding.

Thanks & Peace.

guijan12

#2: Post by guijan12 »

I have not been searching for a lot, but it is not a bad idea.
My previous hand grinder had a lid.
Now every now and then a bean jumps out of it when grinding..... :o :P
Regards,

Guido

Advertisement
kenyabob

#3: Post by kenyabob »

What kind of travel case did you have in mind. I love my Kinu, but also wish it had a silicon sleeve for the body so my wedding ring wouldn't scratch it.

Balthazar_B

#4: Post by Balthazar_B replying to kenyabob »

Have you considered getting a Porlex sleeve, which can be found on eBay and elsewhere, and apparently fits the M47 well?
- John

LMWDP # 577

Kind_Karma (original poster)

#5: Post by Kind_Karma (original poster) »

kenyabob wrote:What kind of travel case did you have in mind. I love my Kinu, but also wish it had a silicon sleeve for the body so my wedding ring wouldn't scratch it.
I am inquiring about possible solutions to use as a top or lid for the Kinu m47, not a travel case(at this point). My other handgrinder has a lid, which helps keep debris out of the grinder for storage and travel. It also keep beans in the grinder if the grinder is not fully straight up when grinding.

There are multiple options for silicon sleeves(or wide rubber bands). The Apollo Bplus is a similar grinder to Kinu m47 and includes a silicon sleeve/band if you want to see an example. I recommend starting a separate thread inquiring about silicon sleeves for Kinu m47 if you still have questions.

Kind_Karma (original poster)

#6: Post by Kind_Karma (original poster) »

Per Orphan Espresso website, the Pharos 2.0 includes: "Rubber 'popper stopper' top hole cover to seal top hopper when grinding".

Was just wondering if anyone found an easy solution for the Kinu m47 that serves the same purpose, but will also stay in place for storage and travel?

Balthazar_B

#7: Post by Balthazar_B replying to Kind_Karma »

Doubt that there are enough M47s in the US for attaining a critical mass of people interested enough in cobbling such a solution together. Germany, probably Kinu's core market, might be a different matter: have you looked at the major German-language coffee forum?

Seems like it wouldn't be much work to mock something up with a hunk of silicone and a Dremel or a scalpel. A flexible rubber bit one can stuff in the opening that will stay there, but than come out easily afterwards (picture a silicone bottle stopper).
- John

LMWDP # 577

Advertisement
Mbb

#8: Post by Mbb »

I'll give you that on light roasted coffee, something besides smooth stainless would be easier to keep from turning with less grip force.

No top is needed

Nothing will jump out of it while grinding as long as you don't tilt it too far to the side.past 45 degrees In my experience. Or get really crazy with your movements.

For travel, put it in a gallon ziplock.....

Not sure about a wedding ring scratching it. I got a feeling that no precious metal ring would mar stainless, which is much harder. But people get all kinds of other things today.

kenyabob

#9: Post by kenyabob »

Sadly, mine has some extremely small scratches from a ring or something else. The finish is so perfect, it doesn't take much to ruin the perfectly milled lines the Kinu ships with. I imagine all steel grinders are susceptible

kenyabob

#10: Post by kenyabob »

Take a look at the lid fashioned by one user over on this Kinu Traveler Post