Levercraft Ultra Grinder User Experience - Page 9

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
RobindG

#81: Post by RobindG »

I ordered a 230v version. Eric produces them. And because demand is not as big as 110v, the availability is good. But because of the pandemic delivery from the far east is slow. November units are delayed to December. He might still have a 230v version available for December. Try to email him or dm on Instagram, he replies right away.

I ordered the Ultra with blind LU burrs.

one_good_coffee

#82: Post by one_good_coffee »

RobindG wrote: I ordered the Ultra with blind LU burrs.
Interesting. Based on the comments, you're the second one only to order the LU burrs. Every order have selected the default HU burrs. Why did you go for the LU burrs?

RobindG

#83: Post by RobindG »

I had HU burrs in my EK43 which after a couple of months I replaced with LU burrs. I like the LU set better. HU burrs are perfect for difficult very light roasts. They give a clean transparant cup, especially doing long extractions. I tried it, but it is not my style. I like al little more traditional espresso style. Not to confuse with Italian dark roast, my coffees are light to medium roast, but I like some body in my cup. You need some bimodal partial size distribution to get that. LU burrs gave more of that on the EK.
Still, the uniformity of SSP LU burrs is very high compared to other burrs.

Also check the second video in the "2020 coffee grinder showdown" threat. I think Michael experiences the same thing comparing a Kafatek Max with LU burrs with an Ultra with HU burrs.

DucaiMann
Supporter ♡

#84: Post by DucaiMann replying to RobindG »

We will be doing a direct comparison video between the two burr sets. That way we can clear up a lot of this speculation about which is superior for what etc (especially since everyone assumes they perform the same in different grinder platforms, which I dont think is entirely true, especially given alignment differences). I'll make sure we do it across a range of roasting levels as well!
★ Helpful

mr2andy

#85: Post by mr2andy »

DucaiMann wrote: We will be doing a direct comparison video between the two burr sets. That way we can clear up a lot of this speculation about which is superior for what etc (especially since everyone assumes they perform the same in different grinder platforms, which I dont think is entirely true, especially given alignment differences). I'll make sure we do it across a range of roasting levels as well!
That will be awesome! Can't wait. I think the key here is how the LU and HU burrs behave under "perfectly aligned" burr set.

eltakeiteasy

#86: Post by eltakeiteasy »

DucaiMann wrote: We will be doing a direct comparison video between the two burr sets. That way we can clear up a lot of this speculation about which is superior for what etc (especially since everyone assumes they perform the same in different grinder platforms, which I dont think is entirely true, especially given alignment differences). I'll make sure we do it across a range of roasting levels as well!
What's the average TDS you have pulled from the HU vs LU burrs in your comparisons?
LMWDP #672.

DucaiMann
Supporter ♡

#87: Post by DucaiMann replying to eltakeiteasy »

Great question! We will be doing comps of this in our tests.

knumph

#88: Post by knumph »

Just pulled a shot of some Klatch Ethiopia Natural Anaerobic Oro Yeast this am. Klatch calls this a "medium light" roast. Pulled perhaps a little longer than what I'm used to, 17.4g in, 40g out, 32 seconds. I figured I would sip it and tighten my grinder down a little to get right into that 1:2 territory that I most enjoy. Whether this coffee does better at the parameters I serendipitously chanced upon or not, the shot was absolutely delicious. Immensely fruity, sweet, and I have to say very satisfying body. I know the HU burrs have seen some bad press wrt: body / viscosity / mouthfeel on forums as of late; I think those concerns are perhaps blown a bit out of proportion. This is the sort of coffee I feel like I would have gone thru an entire bag of with my super jolly, frustrated with shots that smell great but taste marginal at best. The ultra has zero problems making this coffee shine.

Word_salad

#89: Post by Word_salad replying to knumph »

As someone who is currently trying to tame a super jolly this is a dangerous post for me to read

knumph

#90: Post by knumph replying to Word_salad »

Yeah, I'd say I definitely gravitated towards those more "comfort blend" espressos (red bird, etc) because I could typically get very solid results with my super jolly. Now I feel like there's an entirely unexplored world of coffee out there that's just opened up to me. Can't wait