Levercraft Ultra Grinder User Experience - Page 12

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
jevenator

#111: Post by jevenator »

Someone asked for pictures of the burrs earlier I believe.

Here you go. The first pictures are dirty because that's how much retention is in the grinder. But I just remembered that I did try to suck out some of the grinds from the top with my hand-held vacuum so take that into consideration. The reason why I took it apart is that I noticed there was some coffee build up on the sweepers. I'm thinking it's because of the microfines accumulating and WDT contributes to that clumping.

I take off the chute between every shot to brush out the remaining coffee grinds after giving it a few taps. Sometimes it stops right in a middle of a sweeper and you can see the buildup. As a result, when you are brushing you can certainly dislodge that old coffee buildup into your PF and can negatively affect your shot. I was careful not to brush it or touch it when this happened.

This is something that pretty much happens to all grinders though, not just particular to the Ultra. My MonoFlat did the same thing but the opening in the Ultra is much wider so it's easier in a way.

On my Flat, you can set the RPM's super low and wait for the sweeper to show and you can scrape with a pick and vacuum. On the Ultra it will not spin slower than 100rpm so therefore you can only get "lucky" for one of the three sweepers to stop for you to clean them. It's easier to take off the top of the grinder as I did. It's not scary at all. Posts are tight and you either have to get the perfect angle or gently tap it in. Mine just slipped in perfectly after some fiddling. Alignment is the exact same as long as you put it back together the same. If each notch is 0.5 microns than I have aligment within 20 microns which is amazing.

On the grinding experience itself, I really like it now that I had some time to get to "know my grinder". It all comes out nice and fluffy and I love how fast it grinds compared to the 75mm Monolith Flat which was like 30-45 seconds depending on the RPM speed. I pull back on the magnetic chute and let it snap back tapping itself against the grinder, dislodging the grinds there and then I stop the grinder, take off the chute and brush out the rest of the little bits left in the corners and such. Very quiet grinder. Satisfying grinding noise.

★ Helpful

Jeff
Team HB

#112: Post by Jeff »

Great photos! The fourth one, in particular, makes it really easy to imagine how the beans get grabbed, cracked, then ground.

Eiern

#113: Post by Eiern »

Blind burrs sure look nice!

Normally SSP recommend the burr with most teeth and prebreakers to be the moving burr, here it's the opposite. Any idea why?

DucaiMann
Supporter ♡

#114: Post by DucaiMann replying to Eiern »

SSP believes that it is the opposite for vertical vs horizontal grinders. He didn't give a lot of explanation other than that they perform differently based on their configuration.

I did verify that they were correct a few times and I just asked him again. He verified that the orientation in the Ultra above is correct. He said this time that more space allows the coffee grounds to get through the last path on the burrs better in this orientation (because we don't get to rely on gravity in this situation).
★ Helpful

Eiern

#115: Post by Eiern »

lol, just when I thought I had some clarity regarding SSP burrs after a lot of reading. Still as mystic, and maybe that's why they're not «stationary» and «rotary».

DucaiMann
Supporter ♡

#116: Post by DucaiMann replying to Eiern »

Yes I agree. I will ask Hansung to explain in a little more detail.

one_good_coffee

#117: Post by one_good_coffee »

jevenator wrote:Someone asked for pictures of the burrs earlier I believe.
Finally some more pictures!

I have to say those blind burrs look awesome.. That should really be a default feature on all grinders.
jevenator wrote: As a result, when you are brushing you can certainly dislodge that old coffee buildup into your PF and can negatively affect your shot.
Not easy to get exactly what you refer to here. Maybe take some pictures of it next time?
jevenator wrote: If each notch is 0.5 microns than I have aligment within 20 microns which is amazing.
This is indeed very impressive.. Did you tune it to achieve that or is the factory setting?
jevenator wrote:It all comes out nice and fluffy and I love how fast it grinds compared to the 75mm Monolith Flat which was like 30-45 seconds depending on the RPM speed.
What speed do you commonly use?

jevenator

#118: Post by jevenator »

one_good_coffee wrote:Finally some more pictures!

I have to say those blind burrs look awesome.. That should really be a default feature on all grinders.

Not easy to get exactly what you refer to here. Maybe take some pictures of it next time?

This is indeed very impressive.. Did you tune it to achieve that or is the factory setting?

What speed do you commonly use?
Next time if it builds up again I'll snap a picture.
I did no tuning. That's how it was when Eric sent it to me and that's how it was when I reassembled it. I guess I got a little unicorn as well because I had no shims installed either. I've been using 400rpm which is stock. I've tried 200 for espresso and pourover and didn't like it. For espresso, I can't say much cause I did a slow bean feed and it messed with the grind geometry so much that it completely altered my profile and just gushed. Needs more testing. For brew it's just more bland to me at least. Don't get really good brews. At 400rpm it's like a sweet spot. For 600 I only did it for milky drinks as an experiment and she always says the 400rpm lattes are better than the 600 rpm ones. She doesn't know im changing the rpm or anything for that matter.

DucaiMann
Supporter ♡

#119: Post by DucaiMann »

jevenator wrote:If each notch is 0.5 microns than I have aligment within 20 microns which is amazing
What you meant was, each notch is 5 microns (.005mm), for a total of 20 microns alignment :)

TsurTriger

#120: Post by TsurTriger »

guys, any new thoughts about this grinder before I place an order?