[PROMO] LeverCraft Ultra Grinder - Page 7

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
ira
Supporter ♡

#61: Post by ira »

It's a huge servomotor which apparently requires a huge power supply.

Ira

Rytopa

#62: Post by Rytopa »

The Motor on the Ultra is outspecced and outsized for its application, Molar MiniZ 83MM grinder RPM only reaches 430 RPM max, while the Monolith Max 400 RPM max. The Ultra reaches up to 1400 rpm, this is important for users who like to play around with different burr sets and RPM to mimic different grinders.

I am currently using 80MM Peak/Lab Sweet Burrs, for espresso, i am down to 800 rpm to mimic the MK Peak grinder (sometimes even much lower to tame highly acidic beans), while for filter i bump up to 1400 rpm to mimic the Ditting Lab Sweet. The faster the RPM the higher the clarity for the same coffee, lower RPM tends to bring out more bass notes. It gets very pronounced when you take the same coffee and grind it at 2 extreme ends 1400 rpm and 200 rpm. Interestingly lowering the RPM seems to create fewer fines for espresso, which seems to be in line with what Monolith users are experiencing.

malling

#63: Post by malling »

y.tald wrote:I still don't understand why someone here is using the term 'mass produced', while behind the grinder there is one person only, like Denis at Kafatek. And almost everything is CNC machined.
I'm one of the very few in Europe who ordered the grinder at the beginning of May. I know the man makes just 20 pieces per batch.

What does it mean, sorry? The grinder will be 100% aligned exactly like Titus and Kafatek do. But, well, I bought directly from the manufacterer, and that's it. I'm sure Eric will do the same.

It's a shame to see there is a thread about this grinder as being a copy. of another grinder. Truly embarrassing.
As I understand it, the intention is very similar to that of Decent, a product produced in larger quantities. This is just the initial start up. It also needs to be noted mass produced in the coffee world isn't the same as in others. Mahlkonig is manufacturing less than 1000 EK's a month. 4 years ago they only made 400!

He quite clearly state that they have chosen a lower precision as not to make the grinder twice the price. A somewhat different approach than Kafatek and Titus. The equivalent of a Titus that has yet to hit the market is exactly that, one reason is the tolerances in production.

Just because it's CNC doesn't mean it has the same precision, allot of the new EK parts are CNC that doesn't make them high precision parts.

LaPeppina

#64: Post by LaPeppina »

malling wrote:He quite clearly state that they have chosen a lower precision as not to make the grinder twice the price. A somewhat different approach than Kafatek and Titus. The equivalent of a Titus that has yet to hit the market is exactly that, one reason is the tolerances in production.
Where can I read about this or where did you get this information?

y.tald

#65: Post by y.tald »

I think people should make such statements after having got informed about the main thing they're talking about.
Do you know how the guy works? I think you don't. Have you ever seen videos of how he makes grinders? I think you have not. Do you know if the guy behind Ultra is obsessed by alignment, precision, tight tolerances? No, you don't. Do you know how to calibrate the burrs in a grinder? Maybe you do, but you never did.
The grinder, directly from the manufacturer, arrives aligned exactly like all the Monoliths. If you change burrs on a Monolith, you need to do a pretty big job again to realign them. The same is applied to the Ultra. What Eric purposed here is simply a smart and quick way to align. Do you wanna be 100% sure? Buy the tools needed. The same you would do with Monolith Flat & Max.
Plus I never said 'CNC is enough'.

Rytopa

#66: Post by Rytopa »

Because this grinder is new, there are not too many people who are using it, so naturally, there is a lot of skepticism.

Here is a video on the moving burr carrier which is generally the hardest to align well.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAC5bD4hZAp ... _copy_link

malling

#67: Post by malling »

y.tald wrote:I think people should make such statements after having got informed about the main thing they're talking about.
Do you know how the guy works? I think you don't. Have you ever seen videos of how he makes grinders? I think you have not. Do you know if the guy behind Ultra is obsessed by alignment, precision, tight tolerances? No, you don't. Do you know how to calibrate the burrs in a grinder? Maybe you do, but you never did.
The grinder, directly from the manufacturer, arrives aligned exactly like all the Monoliths. If you change burrs on a Monolith, you need to do a pretty big job again to realign them. The same is applied to the Ultra. What Eric purposed here is simply a smart and quick way to align. Do you wanna be 100% sure? Buy the tools needed. The same you would do with Monolith Flat & Max.
Plus I never said 'CNC is enough'.
I only ever replied to the numbers given on this site, it might be better or worse irl who knows. But low tolerance grinders cost a huge chunk of money to make, put this type of motor in it and the pricing just seems unrealistic low!

Every other high precision grinder with 80-98mm burrs are substantial more expensive when hold at tight tolerances. The only way you can do it cheaper is if the parts are manufactured in asia, however I yet to see or hear of a manufacturer who is able to consistently deliver such low tolerances, you definitely need to have very high quality control to make sure they're not cutting corners, which again isn't something that is inexpensive to do.

Even Mahlkonig is checking every part.

I have aligned every grinder I owned the last few years. I know very well how to properly align the grinders I owned and shimming isn't a very good way to do it, not the traditional way anyway.

DucaiMann

#68: Post by DucaiMann »

malling wrote:I only ever replied to the numbers given on this site, it might be better or worse irl who knows. But low tolerance grinders cost a huge chunk of money to make, put this type of motor in it and the pricing just seems unrealistic low!

The tolerances stated are still incredibly tight. The video shown above is exactly what I have on my machine. Each unit will be tested to make sure it is within that spec.

In response to the mass manufactured comments, we can only make about 20 of these each month. That comes out to a max of 240 a year.

wachuko

#69: Post by wachuko »

Eric,

Any chance that the power plug gets relocated elsewhere in the body of the box? Or are you guys beyond the point of making any changes for production?
Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

Kikilo

#70: Post by Kikilo »

Does anyone know where to find more information on the original product? I've searched but I couldn't find any kind of manufacturer website/webshop. I'd be interested by it but I'm neither living in US nor China.