[PROMO] LeverCraft Ultra Grinder - Page 32

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
DucaiMann (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#311: Post by DucaiMann (original poster) »

Some clarity on alignment and why the Ultra grinder is designed to be able to make alignment adjustments. The second video shows how we do it!

Eiern

#312: Post by Eiern »

Seems real easy! How about the moving burr? I know how one could do it, but do you just leave it as is from factory or align that too?

I have found that whilw SSP burrs are very precisely made the small errors when mounted stack up with the small errors of grinder parts so I can usually get a better alignment just by trying out the three possible mounting options for each burr and sometimes won't even need shimming or at least less.

luca
Team HB

#313: Post by luca »

DucaiMann wrote:We do have a new DLC (shiny black) coated Cast burr coming from SSP that Hansung believes is even better for static (Something we have no issue with on the Ultra except in a few rare cases). We will do a direct comparison between that, the standard SSP Cast with Silver Knight, and the Titus ZrN coated burr.
I'm also looking forward to seeing non-coated included in the comparison, since I can't see a good reason to have any coating at all in burrs for home use.

I've got a modified MK burr set from Hansung that I might get him to re-grind, and he can strip the coating off it, too, so I might ask him to do that.
LMWDP #034 | 2011: Q Exam, WBrC #3, Aus Cup Tasting #1 | Insta: @lucacoffeenotes

Jeff
Team HB

#314: Post by Jeff »

I, as well, would be very interested in that as well. Grinding 1-2 kg a month, I don't consider burr longevity an issue.

Jonk

#315: Post by Jonk »

The coatings add relatively little or in some cases nothing to the consumer price - do you have any good reason not to want it other than it might not be needed? At least on smaller burrs I've used, wear seems to be quite a bit faster than spec when using light roasted beans.

Jeff
Team HB

#316: Post by Jeff »

With all the claims of benefits of coating X over coating Y, where some of those claims seem to be that they impact flavor in the cup, including "no coating" seems a worthwhile option to explore.

DucaiMann (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#317: Post by DucaiMann (original poster) »

Jonk wrote:The coatings add relatively little or in some cases nothing to the consumer price - do you have any good reason not to want it other than it might not be needed? At least on smaller burrs I've used, wear seems to be quite a bit faster than spec when using light roasted beans.
Really great question! We have a set of non-coated cast burrs coming. They should have the lowest friction coefficient, and they are still rated for 1000kg of coffee, far more than most people will drink in their lifetime.

It will be included in our testing.

charliemb

#318: Post by charliemb »

Hi Eric

I'm strongly considering preordering for the next round and have a question regarding the motor. Imagine 10 years have passed and you are no longer in business. If the motor or the control box breaks, from where do we buy a replacement?

Plinyyounger

#319: Post by Plinyyounger replying to charliemb »

You could ask that question of any manufacturer, I'd suggest if it's within your budget to not worry about things 10 years in the future.
Family, coffee and fun.

Jeff
Team HB

#320: Post by Jeff »

Any high-end grinder you buy today will be obsolete in ten years. Ten years ago, "high-end" meant a Titan conical. Coffees were very different then as well. There's no reason for me to expect ten years from now will look like today for coffee, extraction techniques, grinders, or burrs.

Ref: Titan Grinder Project