[PROMO] LeverCraft Ultra Grinder - Page 4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
foam2

#31: Post by foam2 »

A free thought here regarding the box. If you could place the control box remotely then I think looking into an app to operate remotely from a phone would be really nice.

DucaiMann (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#32: Post by DucaiMann (original poster) replying to foam2 »

This is already a feature without the need for a phone! There is a remote button that turns the grinder on and off like an on/off switch. It uses wireless, so you can store the box below the counter and run the cables through a hole.

I like the idea that you could control everything from a phone app though! From RPM to custom ramps, on/off etc. It might be something that could be done in the future.

RobindG

#33: Post by RobindG »

How is static? Does it need RDT?

Supporter ♡

#34: Post by DucaiMann (original poster) replying to RobindG »

Every single grinder on the market benefits from RDT. While you don't HAVE to do it, it certainly doesn't hurt. Retention is similar with or without but it doesn't necessarily come out of the grinder as cleanly without RDT.

We have a new style of spritzer that will be included that minimizes large droplets, so you won't have water collecting on your dosing funnel or the mouth of the grinder itself.

What is really interesting is that when grinding for pour over without RDT, typically the only bit of the coffee that sticks is the chaff from the inner bean.

More videos coming soon!

RobindG

#35: Post by RobindG »

On the other hand:

"If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses"

(Henry Ford)

knumph

#36: Post by knumph »

Will there be a way to turn the grinder on besides the wireless remote? I have 3 small kids and that thing will be lost within hours

Jake_G
Team HB

#37: Post by Jake_G »

DucaiMann wrote:Burr alignment. This is where this grinder really shines. Aligning the burrs is incredibly simple, without any extra tools. Simply remove the adjustment mechanism (No need to even change the grind setting), slide the upper burr carrier off the rails, do the sharpie test, and then add the included metal shims to each post to make sure the burrs are perfectly parallel. This can be done in under 30 minutes, with no tools other than a sharpie and the proper hex tool.
I'm sure this was obvious to others, but the mechanical process for this just dawned on me. I was envisioning shims under the burrs, but now I see that you just place a shim under one or more of the four mounting legs on the adjustment mechanism (as you clearly articulated above). That's super cool. I agree with IRA that 3 would be better than 4, but every motor ever is bolted down with 4 feet and it is standard procedure to identify and correct for soft foot (three feet always touch the ground, one foot - the "soft" foot - floats) with shims, ensuring that all four feet are in firm contact. Doing this step without the upper carrier will ensure that the adjustment mechanism is rigid and not flexed by being pulled into contact with the posts and will increase the overall robustness of the grinder.

Once that is taken care of, this is pretty amazing as it allows you to use burrs that might have a slight wedge shape to them (not unheard of with non-precision burrs) without having to place shims between the burr carrier and the burrs themselves. While not super relevant with SSP burrs, this is a genuine benefit to this design and is unique to my knowledge.

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704

Supporter ♡

#38: Post by DucaiMann (original poster) »

knumph wrote:Will there be a way to turn the grinder on besides the wireless remote? I have 3 small kids and that thing will be lost within hours
Yes! You can also mount the remote anywhere you would like so its "permanent."

The control box has a physical button that allows you to turn the machine on and off as well.

HB
Admin

#39: Post by HB »

Bunkmil wrote:Can we start a new thread to talk about what's a copy and what's not ?
This discussion is going away from the Ultra...
Agreed. Split follow-on discussion to Is the Ultra Grinder a Monolith copy?
Dan Kehn
★ Helpful

RobindG

#40: Post by RobindG »

Jake_G wrote:I'm sure this was obvious to others, but the mechanical process for this just dawned on me. I was envisioning shims under the burrs, but now I see that you just place a shim under one or more of the four mounting legs on the adjustment mechanism (as you clearly articulated above). That's super cool.
I didn't get that either. This is innovation!