[PROMO] LeverCraft Ultra Grinder - Page 25

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Jake_G
Team HB

#241: Post by Jake_G »

ira wrote:Do those springs take out the slop in the threads that adjust the burr?

Ira
From what I can tell, yes.

The thread slop is minimal on this design but obviously present. The design of the funnel is more like a plug with threads up top and a larger OD that fits much tighter into the upper spider than say the funnel on a Mazzer, which threads in from the top. The Ultra funnel actually threads in from below. Because of this rather unique, but simple design, there is not much "slop" in the threads, so to speak. Clearance, yes.

As for alignment, yes I've used feeler gauges and they get you quite close, but the end result is always verified by the distance between mechanical lock of the burrs and first contact. If first contact is more than about 50 microns away from full lock, odds are that you can improve the situation with shimming one of the the carrier posts. It's pretty simple in practice as you just bring the burrs to first touch and see if pressure on one of the four corners lightens the contact (sound goes away). If so, place a shim under the opposite corner and reset the zero point to check again. I was able to get between 20 and 30 microns between first touch and full lock using this method.

Pulling the mid plate and checking alignment with feeler gauges and a strong light yielded similar results, but the challenge is identifying if the tight spot is on the lower burr, upper burr or a combo of both. Using the pressure method really only addresses the top burr, but the lower burr is easily dialed in using standard instruments, so there is less to be excited about there in either case. This is equivalent to "pushing on the funnel" in other grinders, but the exposed upper carrier on Ultra makes it much more intuitive to identify which corner needs adjusted since you can influence it directly. Unlike the feeler gauge method, the pressure method can be done without concern for how true the lower burr is. Once you are at a position where pressure contact on all four corners causes the first contact sound to increase, you're done. The distance between first touch and mechanical lock then tells you the combined alignment of the entire assembled system.

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704
★ Helpful

RobindG

#242: Post by RobindG »

ira wrote:If you're using feeler gauges you don't need to set it to zero, Find a feeler gauge and adjust the burr spacing till it feel correct and then rotate the burr and see if the feel changes. You care about consistency, not what it is at zero. Though putting a very bright light inside and tightening till it goes out at one point and then seeing how it changes around the burr. Doesn't give you absolutes, but if it all goes out at once, you know it's close to perfect. But you'll need a spring and thrust washer to push the burrs apart to reflect reality.

Ira
With feeler gauges I never use light or so. Adjust the burrs (or valve rockers or what ever) till the gauge gets slightly grabbed. Then check other positions if resistance with which you can move the gauge is the same. If there is no resistance, the gap is too big. If it is more difficult to move the gauge, the gap is too small.

Anyway, the Ultra gives you meticulous methods to check alignment.

DucaiMann (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#243: Post by DucaiMann (original poster) »

ira wrote:Do those springs take out the slop in the threads that adjust the burr?

Ira
When there is any force pushing upwards on the adjustment collar (Which happens due to the big springs around the posts), it removes virtually all of the slop, while still being smooth to adjust.

Supporter ♡

#244: Post by DucaiMann (original poster) »

eltakeiteasy wrote:Wait I am confused so what were you referencing here 2020 Coffee Grinder Showdown then:

I will be putting up a blog post on our site soon about some of the modifications we decided to make. While not 100% necessary, they certainly improved upon the original design. Long story short, there were two iterations of the improved design and the first one did not account for a few critical things. I'll put a link up as soon as I can!

Eric

eltakeiteasy

#245: Post by eltakeiteasy »

DucaiMann wrote:
...which is why I can say with confidence that we have the best alignment in the industry out to the box.

You keep saying modifications. Why would you need to modify 'the best-aligned grinder out of the box in the industry'?
DucaiMann wrote: I will be putting up a blog post on our site soon about some of the modifications we decided to make. While not 100% necessary, they certainly improved upon the original design. Long story short, there were two iterations of the improved design and the first one did not account for a few critical things. I'll put a link up as soon as I can!

Eric
LMWDP #672.

Supporter ♡

#246: Post by DucaiMann (original poster) »

eltakeiteasy wrote:DucaiMann wrote:
...which is why I can say with confidence that we have the best alignment in the industry out to the box.

You keep saying modifications. Why would you need to modify 'the best-aligned grinder out of the box in the industry'?
The modification has nothing to do with alignment.

Jeff
Team HB

#247: Post by Jeff »

I worry more about a manufacturer (of any device, this is not a targeted "worry") that rests on their laurels, than one who is responsive to marketplace desires and new knowledge as it becomes available with a program of continuous improvement.

eltakeiteasy

#248: Post by eltakeiteasy »

DucaiMann wrote:The modification has nothing to do with alignment.
I must be missing something then. "Long story short, there were two iterations of the improved design and the first one did not account for a few critical things." -yet you say not 100% necessary and then on the 2020 grinder showdown, you say that you are excited for Michael to "taste the differences with the modifications we made. I think you're going to have significantly different results. I'm sure the couple people who have the modified grinder can comment on that!"

Anyway, excited to read the blog post! ETA?
LMWDP #672.

eltakeiteasy

#249: Post by eltakeiteasy »

Jeff wrote:I worry more about a manufacturer (of any device, this is not a targeted "worry") that rests on their laurels, than one who is responsive to marketplace desires and new knowledge as it becomes available with a program of continuous improvement.
Agreed. SO perhaps the comment below: DucaiMann wrote:

Should say until we release the NEXT best ... in the industry out of the box...
LMWDP #672.

Supporter ♡

#250: Post by DucaiMann (original poster) replying to eltakeiteasy »

I see what you were getting at! Yes all grinders will have the modification, including those that were shipped out!