Lelit PL53 grinder binding

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Gravel hobo

#1: Post by Gravel hobo »

Long time lurker, second time post.
I have a Lelit grinder, had it for about 4-5 years I guess. It's worked great for years. I only use it to grind for espresso. I've tried recently to get more scientific about weight and such.
But in the last week when I go to grind in the morning, the grinder binds and stop putting out finely ground particles. I took it apart and cleaned everything. Put some beans back in the hopper and it would grind. But as soon as I tried to make the grind finer, it would bind again.
I took it apart a couple more times to test that the gears worked ( yep) and make sure I had not messed up the reinstall.
So my one thought is that the burrs are dull and that is why it is binding. Crazy thought? Is there something else I should check before buying new burrs? Thanks

heavyduty

#2: Post by heavyduty »

Gravel hobo wrote: But as soon as I tried to make the grind finer, it would bind again.
First thing that comes to mind, are you running the grinder when you turn the knob finer? If not you should be, especially going finer. I've had my PL53 for 7 yrs. It's only bound up on me 1 time when I got some very lightly roasted (and underdeveloped) coffee that was like grinding rocks.
Also, have you ever put in new burrs since you've had it? You should go ahead and do that. I changed mine after about 4 yrs.(should of done it sooner). One of the tell-tale signs is having to grind finer and finer. Also, my shots just weren't as good as they had used to be. Big positive change afterward!
Tomorrow came sooner than expected.

Paul

ecuew

#3: Post by ecuew »

Don't know if Lelit does this but some manufacturers build in a limiter that shuts off the motor. From what I understand as the motor/burrs/limiter age the shutoff can get more sensitive.

Next time the grinder stops wait 3 minutes, maybe unplug for good measure, then try again.

Gravel hobo (original poster)

#4: Post by Gravel hobo (original poster) »

Thanks for the replies. I was grinding as I moved the notch finer. I switched back to my normal espresso roast after posting. No problems after switching back. Ground it too fine, such that it choked the machine in fact. I wonder if the under roasted beans is the issue. I wasn't using an espresso roast, but one made for filter or such. I will look into new burr's as well though.

heavyduty

#5: Post by heavyduty »

Gravel hobo wrote: I will look into new burr's as well though.
This will help: Trouble replacing burrs of LeLit PL53 - Help!
Tomorrow came sooner than expected.

Paul

day

#6: Post by day »

Can you break the beans with your fingers?
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

Gravel hobo (original poster)

#7: Post by Gravel hobo (original poster) »

Threw the old ones out. I'll try with my regular beans- ceremony mass appeal