Lance Hedrick on Grinders Under $300 [VIDEO] - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Bluenoser
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by Bluenoser »

I pulled the trigger on a 070s from amazon.com.. Sold my Sette 270 for same price.. I don't have any flat burr grinder so want to see how much difference I will see.. I plan to check alignment and will align if necessary. The 250W motor was key.. This will be my pour-over grinder. Seemed like a cheap way to enter the flat burr market. I also like the sieve dosing cup that Hendrick showed.. Don't think it comes with this grinder, but see in on Canada amazon for less than $20.

Rcus

#12: Post by Rcus »

baldheadracing wrote:As an aside, Feima, a.k.a. Yang-Chia, a.k.a. Flying Horse, is a Taiwanese company http://www.feima.com.tw , also distributed by Bella Taiwan http://www.bellataiwan.com (I have one of their roasters, as do a few other members.)

As Taiwan is 110v/60Hz like North America, their products are available in 110v/60Hz - unless you order the versions made for 220v countries.

I've seen the 600 for sale around Toronto and Vancouver in, for lack of a better term, Chinese malls. (A Chinese mall looks like any other mall or shopping center, except all the signs are in Chinese, most people are speaking Chinese, and there is never, never, never any parking.)
A clone of such grinder can be bought in usd25 to 30. Right , clone of a clone.

Decent Espresso: espresso equipment for serious baristas
Sponsored by Decent Espresso
jbviau
Supporter ★

#13: Post by jbviau »

Bluenoser wrote:I also like the sieve dosing cup that Hendrick showed.. Don't think it comes with this grinder, but see in on Canada amazon for less than $20.
In case it helps, this one is what I use with the Fuji R-220, and it's been good: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GWR3BT6/
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Bluenoser
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by Bluenoser » replying to jbviau »

. Thanks for the link..

Peter Venkman

#15: Post by Peter Venkman »

I love this guy. He's really knowledgeable. He speaks a language i understand, and goes deeper into the rabbit hole. #fingergun

iploya
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by iploya »

I enjoyed the video and learning about other grinder options at different price points even though I am not currently in the market for one of these. I noticed toward the end of the video (where I stopped) that he's pulling shots on a Decent espresso machine ($3,000 price range I believe), and I couldn't help but wonder what machine most folks will be using who are in the $150 price point on grinder. A more realistic analysis might look at results from one of these grinders with a similarly priced espresso machine.

Jeff (original poster)
Team HB

#17: Post by Jeff (original poster) »

iploya wrote:A more realistic analysis might look at results from one of these grinders with a similarly priced espresso machine.
Your measurement equipment always needs to be "better" than what you're measuring. Otherwise you're limited by the noise floor or accuracy of the test gear.

Someone telling me that a Smart Grinder Pro (or what have you) works great with an "Ultra 19" machine and a pressurized basket tells me close to nothing.

Aida Batlle: Indigo Reserve from world renowned Finca Kilimanjaro in El Salvador
Sponsored by Aida Batlle
iploya
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by iploya »

Jeff wrote:Your measurement equipment always needs to be "better" than what you're measuring. Otherwise you're limited by the noise floor or accuracy of the test gear.
True. If the analysis is all about how good is the ground coffee on this grinder, then a high-end espresso machine will give you a better indication of the grind quality as indirectly assessed by the theoretical limits on the end result of espresso (where the grinder is the main bottleneck). But since the analysis in this video is geared toward equipment on a budget, it would add perspective to look at what quality of the end result (espresso) is practically attainable on similarly constrained espresso machines.

luvmy40

#19: Post by luvmy40 »

I ordered a couple of the $50.00 Amazon grinders. One for a Christmas present to my son to use with his Bambino+ and one to use as a brew grinder for family and friends when I give them fresh roasted coffee.

I may upgrade the burrs for my son, but I'll keep the stock burrs in the brew grinder.

I'll be sure to get a report on how it performs with the Bambino+. It has to be better than the Cuisinart blade smasher Cal is using now.