Lagom P64 SSP MP vs Orphan Espresso Apex

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Hisoka

#1: Post by Hisoka »

Lagom P64 SSP MP / Unimodal V1 vs Orphan Espresso Apex

Which one is more recommend for pour over over the other ?!
Which one taste better and have more clarity ?! :)

Acavia

#2: Post by Acavia replying to Hisoka »

P64 would have easier workflow, but if you could mount the Apex to a cutting board for added stability, and had the patience to spend the extra time grinding, the Apex might be a more rewarding activity for the right person. Retention would likely be noticeable higher on the Apex.

Taste would be completely up to a person, and based on reviews of each, it would probably be 50/50 chance and a room of people would probably be split on them. Not having coffee from either, but reading many reviews on both, I would expect the MP would likely have a bit more clarity but also be more hollow.

zefkir

#3: Post by zefkir »

I'd consider the Fuji Royal R220 and the Timemore Sculptor too.

Acavia

#4: Post by Acavia »

zefkir wrote: the Timemore Sculptor too.
This could be very good. If someone is looking for a pour-over grinder now in that price range and can wait a while, one should wait for reviews on that.

iyayy

#5: Post by iyayy »

well here's a (common?) scenario..

espresso users:
change to unimodal burr,
cant pull 9bar 1:2 ratio in 30s.
try updose, drop pressure, change profile, change yield, time, grind near burr chirp, temp, etc..
gets awesome cup and happy.

filter brewers:
change to unimodal burr,
ground by visually same size.
gets weak thin hollow cups,
only change grind size but still REFUSES to change recipe, dose, yield, temp, etc..
cries in forums and social media.

just something to think about.

Tennantscoffee

#6: Post by Tennantscoffee »

I have an Orphan Apex and it's the cleanest, clearest cup of coffee I've ever had. HOWEVER, it does have a retention problem...I need to put a full 2g over what I need to get the correct amount out. 33g recipe....35g in. It's a problem for sure. But, a relatively easy clean out with an espresso brush before each grind session. I would keep mine and use it until I die...but a right rotator cuff tear has pretty much ended my coffee grinding by hand. Also, while I am sure that the Lagom P64 is magnificent (I have a P100 on order) it will not give you a thousand dollar + better cup of coffee.

Yan

#7: Post by Yan »

Tennantscoffee wrote:HOWEVER, it does have a retention problem...I need to put a full 2g over what I need to get the correct amount out. 33g recipe....35g in.
Mine less than 0.5gr retention, clarity will outperform my other grinder C40MK3, M47, Timemore G1/Slim.

Tennantscoffee

#8: Post by Tennantscoffee »

Mine less than 0.5gr retention, clarity will outperform my other grinder C40MK3, M47, Timemore G1/Slim.
To be fair, it does depend on roast level. Lighter roasts don't have as much of a problem. Unfortunately, I am a sucker for dark roasted Indonesian coffee.

Yan

#9: Post by Yan replying to Tennantscoffee »

What region Indonesian coffee do you like? Yes I'm more light roast fans, African, Central America, also my local Indonesian coffee.

Tennantscoffee

#10: Post by Tennantscoffee replying to Yan »

All of them. lol Sumatra, Flores, Java, Sulawesi, Bali, etc... I'm a sucker for a wet hulled, dark roasted Indonesian. I roast them myself and they are just glorious as a V60 pour over. Tobacco, pepper, cedar, earthy, chocolate, spicy, sweet, huge body....damn, I need to go make another cup now. lol