Lagom P64 Grinder User Impressions

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
mgwolf
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by mgwolf »

There's a fairly long thread about Lagom grinders which seems to have very little feedback from actual users. I'm wondering if Lagom owners would like to comment on their grinders, particularly compared to other grinders they're familiar with. The website touts the Lagom as "punching above its class" given its 64 mm burrs, but I'm curious to hear if this seems true to real users as well. Happy for all comments.

Baristaboys

#2: Post by Baristaboys »

Ditto!
I'm not an owner yet, but Im strongly considering one. I've mostly seen espresso impressions of the grinder and the different burrs. People describe that they're satisfied and how it's a good grinder but not much more than that. Unimodal is good for light roasts but may require other routines with their espresso machines than what they're used to. Those switching to original or HU burrs get more body, which they seem to prefer.

I'm myself looking for more detailed impressions from V60, Wave, Clever dripper, Aeropress, cold brew, Origami or french press user. How does the Lagom compare to other recognized grinders?

Comandante C40 or similar hand grinder, Aligned Baratza Forte, Bunnzilla, Eureka Atom pro, EK43, Monolith flat, Weber EG-1 etc. Perhaps even a Baratza Virtuoso. Or the ghost burr grinders like OE Apex or the Royal something. And of course the Fellow Ode, although only engineering or review samples seems to be in the wild yet.

Is the Unimodal burrs really great for pour overs? Regardless of roast level? Will I be able to get great body doing pour overs or immersion with the Unimodal burrs? Will they also handle medium or dark roasted beans well? Or is the standard or HU burrs better for that? And if so, are they super good or still only medioker compared to other brew grinders? That is something I would like to hear about.

The workflow seems nice and comparable to the other high end single dose grinders. Grind chamber retention, footprint and build quality seems to be up there as well.

Geoffr

#3: Post by Geoffr replying to Baristaboys »

I drink pour over every day, made with a Wave and light roast coffee. I used a Comandante for a few years As my brew grinder prior to Getting a Lagom with unimodal burrs.

As much as I love thrComa Dante, Now that he Lagom is Seasoned it's not really a fair comparison. The Lagom does things that the Comandante just can' match, in terms of flavour and texture.

matthmax
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by matthmax »

I'll have my Lagom from Prima early October. I've been looking for a detailed video review but I can only find sub-60sec clips. I'll post about it and answer more questions when I have it but I find it weird there isn't more firsthand info out there on it.

foam2

#5: Post by foam2 »

There's been a lot of discussion from owners on the original thread. Most have discussed the preferences on different burr options - and its nice to have choices there. I posted a video several months ago. The unit is well made and very easy to use as well as being the most repeatable grinder I have ever used. In my experience with having a grinder with 83mm burrs with similar geometry I can't tell the difference between those and 64mm burrs. The burr geometry would make more difference than the burr size itself. The real benefit has been the work flow and low retention coupled with easy and repeatable grind adjustment/settings.

http://www.vimeo.com/434711457

Espressoman007

#6: Post by Espressoman007 »

Baristaboys wrote: Is the Unimodal burrs really great for pour overs? Regardless of roast level? Will I be able to get great body doing pour overs or immersion with the Unimodal burrs? Will they also handle medium or dark roasted beans well? Or is the standard or HU burrs better for that? And if so, are they super good or still only medioker compared to other brew grinders? That is something I would like to hear about.
I wouldn't agree that there isn't a certain amount of information on the original thread, by the owners. Different opinions, as well as different preferentials. But you sound a bit upset, lol. Actually I don't see the need for another thread in which it will be discussed about the same topics as in the previous one.
I am only an espresso drinker, but I have a question for you. Is there on the market a grinder with the particular burr set that is excellent for any type of coffee you wish to make? When talking about espresso there isn't! But I am curious, because I have no knowledge in other brewing methods, is there one for all?
What's your experience, what's your equipment... what is your story, how do you make coffee? Perhaps that could allow those who make coffee with methods you've mentioned to help you better, and I might learn something, too. But certain amount of information you have on Option-O site as well.

Cheers!

Baristaboys

#7: Post by Baristaboys »

Espressoman007 wrote: Cheers!
Hehe yeah I can see now why it came out a bit upset sounding. I am certainly not upset. Perhaps a bit exhausted trying to narrow down what grinder suits me. Filter, single dose, medium roast and body. I guess my problem is that I want the lagom to be that grinder. Perhaps it is, perhaps it is not. Knowing a good option in the monolith exists, but it being so hard to get your hands on is a little tiresome.

But as usual in this niche hobby there are seldom consensus or purely objective optinions. And if it were only as simple as about taste and preferences being different for people. It is not. With all diferent brewing variables and brewing methods given enough time I bet someone on this planet would eventually spout a golden turd from their Lagom grinder. And most of the various forum impressions are about espresso, which is not my cup of tea. But that is my problem. Im really happy for everyone enjoying their equipment for their area of ​​use. But as OP says, there arent that much information available about this grinder, almost a year post launch. Well there are, but no serious reviews at least. This is most likely an availability issue, there arent that many grinders shipped yet. And if the capability to produce grinders is limited, there would be no reason for the manufacturer to ship review samples to any of the youtube video mass producing coffee entusiasts, as for example the Fellow probably did with their new grinder.

As for your question, it is probably the same for brew grinders as it is for espresso grinders. They excel in different circumstances. The thing is, when you approach grinders with a certain level of construction, alignment and suitable burrs, they are probably all better than "lower end" grinders in every way. Physical limitations exists, and taste aside there still are loads of factors with grinder quality that is quantifiable and comparable. That is my layman perception at least.

EDIT: I also think you're right. There is already a thread on this grinder, there is no need to dilute information about it even more, or contaminate the forum with many threads about the same topic. It's probably better to keep it in one place.

smite

#8: Post by smite »

Lots to digest in that other thread. Here are a few links to posts that talk about experiences:

Lagom P64 Flat (Option-O)

Many other examples in that thread.

Summary:

Workflow is great and very efficient with very little retention, lots of discussion on the 3 different burrs with preferences for each aligned with roast and type of coffee brew method.

I will say that the stock burrs requires a very fine grind number setting on the dial bringing it very close to the zero point at times compared to the other SSP burrs that are available.

There does seem to be the very rare occasional static with certain roasts especially with very fresh roasted beans (Same day). This is pretty much the same as you would see with any grinder especially without any water spraying.

I did notice that the retention screw holding the speed control came lose and required tightening. I also notice that the power toggle switch sometimes get stuck in the on mode. This really isn't an issue just more of an observation I figure is worth mentioning if nothing else as an early reference point, given the Lagom 64s newness, as time will tell on the durability of the switch and other components etc.

Espressoman007

#9: Post by Espressoman007 »

Baristaboys wrote:Hehe yeah I can see now why it came out a bit upset sounding. I am certainly not upset.
I am just kidding, lol. I totally understand you, because I probably felt that way because of the lack of information, at least those I could find. And that takes time, and money, too! Why money? Because often I would buy something that many people would praise and something that suited their needs, but to me it would be completely useless or not entirely as they would describe it. So I had to learn the slow and hard way, unfortunately.
And if one thing is right, is that you at least want to be sure that it suits you and your needs.
Unfortunately I can't say how Lagom performs at methods you mentioned. But as I've read or heard, unimodal are best for brew methods and with light to medium roast beans. If money is not an obstacle for you, I would buy Monolith. Since I don't own it I don't know much about it, but from everything I read about it, I assume it must be the best. And I'm loving the design. But if money is an obstacle, my choice would be Lagom.

What is your list, from top to bottom of grinders you would like to buy? And what information you have on those and not on Lagom?

Cheers.

Ad-85

#10: Post by Ad-85 »

Geoffr wrote:I drink pour over every day, made with a Wave and light roast coffee. I used a Comandante for a few years As my brew grinder prior to Getting a Lagom with unimodal burrs.

As much as I love thrComa Dante, Now that he Lagom is Seasoned it's not really a fair comparison. The Lagom does things that the Comandante just can' match, in terms of flavour and texture.
Hi,
May I ask on what settings? I use the blue bottle dripper and I try to hit 2:45-3:15 but I went really fine that the grounds once done are muddy. Forte BG wasn't like that. So, would you mind sharing your experience with it. Thanks
LMWDB #691
LeverHeads group on Telegram