Lagom P64 Flat (Option-O) - Page 99

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
valoben

#981: Post by valoben »

Renegade wrote:With a 17-19g dose at an espresso setting with a light roast, the retention when I tap is about 0.3g
...But on a 30g dose at a V60 setting with a light roast, the retention when I tap (hammer the grinder) is about 3.0g.
Both measurements are with A LOT of RDT (beans sticks to the grinder's body and I have to push them by hand in the grinding chamber).
I am actually grinding dark roast oily beans at a french press setting and can't get all the grounds off the grinder with several taps (hammer the grinder): the chute is clogged and the grinding chamber is full.
Renegade wrote: Update: Just sold the grinder to my downstairs neighbor and will order an EG-1 later in the evening. I will not contribute to this thread anymore, and will never get another grinder with a ''is able to choke an espresso machine QC check'' again.
Thank you very much for those who gave me relevant information :)
Cheers !
I don't really know what to say, it's sad indeed to get an expensive grinder and be disappointed. I've never had these high retentions you mention, at any setting. I do dislike the few dark roasts that I have ground with it (also disliked the taste with another grinder), partially because of the tendency to go out in logs if too much/too little RDT is applied. But with all of my medium and light roasts, none of that, and no static mess with proper RDT after some break-in of the burrs.

The EG1 doesn't seem to be a zero fuss grinder to me at that price range (also lots of initial static, the wipers, ± customer confused with the assembly when you get it ?), I hope you are happy and stick with it longer than with the Lagom if there are any quirks you don't like.
LMWDP #669

mdreuben
Supporter ❤

#982: Post by mdreuben »

So much about retention depends on ambient humidity, especially during the winter time. Our indoor humidifer went out earlier in the week and retention on both of my grinders went up. After we brought it back up (to about 40%) retention on my Niche and Vario-W went back to nearly nothing.

I've got a P64 arriving from Prima in the January batch, and assume that the retention should be about the same as the other grinders. Has anyone seen a relationship between grind speed and retention?

Amberale

#983: Post by Amberale »

Peter_SVK wrote:PMs sent.
Hi Peter.
I am also new to this forum.
I saw your mod a couple of months ago before I had received my grinder and loved it.
I am also interested in some details.
I am curious if a partial section would work as I only grind for espresso.
Perhaps only 120 degrees on the front?
Thanks Craig

Renegade

#984: Post by Renegade »

So much about retention depends on ambient humidity, especially during the winter time. Our indoor humidifer went out earlier in the week and retention on both of my grinders went up. After we brought it back up (to about 40%) retention on my Niche and Vario-W went back to nearly nothing.
The kitchen ambiant humidity level is between 40%-45%. I also grind with two other grinders and I a basically always have something in a rebuilt/repair process: none of them are acting like the Lagom regarding channeling and retention, even with the same burrs set (or so, I do have the original unimodal SSPs in the Anfim). As Peter mentioned, 0.3g is not a crime, but clogging a grinder on a pour over dose is something else and massive channeling is a concern, well, for me.

Renegade

#985: Post by Renegade »

So, you sold the grinder that you don't like to your neighbour? Haha, a good neighbour or a bad neighbour? Watch out that he doesn't come knocking at your front door mad in a month or so.
He is aware of all the fuss I have with this grinder. In fact, this is a very good friend of mine and I am actually tuning his EK43. He is just more mature, patient and willing to investigate further and contact Option-O to get into a whatever process.

My initial opinion about this grinder was not very high. I was bashing some things regarding the dev process (stalling an espresso machine as a QC check pass, burrs design changed between my order and the production of the grinder and nobody from Option-O ever told me about this), relevance and background of people regarding grinders in general making reviews of the grinder etc, so I guess you understand my initial mood regarding the grinder.

A lot of people would probably keep it, diagnose the problem and solve it. As many aspects in coffee, ethics is important for me and I appreciate a lot of things even more because of that, and I knew I would hate this grinder even more also because of that too. My neighbour is a bit loose about this concept haha !

Peter_SVK

#986: Post by Peter_SVK »

Renegade wrote:The kitchen ambiant humidity level is between 40%-45%. I also grind with two other grinders and I a basically always have something in a rebuilt/repair process: none of them are acting like the Lagom regarding channeling and retention, even with the same burrs set (or so, I do have the original unimodal SSPs in the Anfim). As Peter mentioned, 0.3g is not a crime, but clogging a grinder on a pour over dose is something else and massive channeling is a concern, well, for me.
That sounds really strange, I use the grinder with unimodal (the most likely latest version) and high-uniformity burrs and it works OK with both, in low speed, in high speed as well. I use only light roasts (omni roast) and RDT (2 spritzs from original spray bottle), otherwise there is a static.
Btw, maybe once, if I have free funds, I'll also look at EG-1, not because Lagom doesn't work well, but because EG-1 looks even better, more robust and more on par with my espresso machine. EG-1 is the most sexiest SD grinder I know :) Or maybe Mahlkonig makes some SD grinder meanwhile ...

A Coffee Wanderer

#987: Post by A Coffee Wanderer »

Renegade wrote:He is aware of all the fuss I have with this grinder. In fact, this is a very good friend of mine and I am actually tuning his EK43. He is just more mature, patient and willing to investigate further and contact Option-O to get into a whatever process.

My initial opinion about this grinder was not very high. I was bashing some things regarding the dev process (stalling an espresso machine as a QC check pass, burrs design changed between my order and the production of the grinder and nobody from Option-O ever told me about this), relevance and background of people regarding grinders in general making reviews of the grinder etc, so I guess you understand my initial mood regarding the grinder.

A lot of people would probably keep it, diagnose the problem and solve it. As many aspects in coffee, ethics is important for me and I appreciate a lot of things even more because of that, and I knew I would hate this grinder even more also because of that too. My neighbour is a bit loose about this concept haha !
So sorry for that experience man, do tell us about the EG-1 I'm curious too, the first grinder to be in my heart and mind, but still far away from my wallet :'(

Now onto a question for international buyers; how was your experience with international Shipping? I'm ordering directly to my country (Dominican Republic) I usually would order from, or to USA and then bring it here through a courier. Problem is, since Prima-Coffee has exclusivity and I can't order directly from Option-O to the USA, I'm doing what I've never done before. I dunno, not fond of paying full advance for a pre-order and receiving it latter than ordering from Option-O directly, as opposed to paying an advancement (as I think it should be) and possibly even get it earlier.

bakafish

#988: Post by bakafish »

My Monolith Conical MC1 had static problem even with 2 sprays RDT. After taking it apart and cleaned by a wet towel, it was solved.

pandoobus

#989: Post by pandoobus »

Renegade wrote:He is aware of all the fuss I have with this grinder. In fact, this is a very good friend of mine and I am actually tuning his EK43. He is just more mature, patient and willing to investigate further and contact Option-O to get into a whatever process.

Could you expand on the 2 things I've bolded? Do you mean people whose opinions you respect haven't said positive things about it or it seems like people online are shilling for the grinder? Is the ethics issue you're having related to the burrs being different from what you ordered? Also, have you tried contacting Option-O to get these issues resolved?
"The best is the enemy of the good"

c1raider

#990: Post by c1raider »

A Coffee Wanderer wrote:Now onto a question for international buyers; how was your experience with international Shipping?
Not sure it answers your question but I had this shipped directly from Option-O to the USA, internationally. It did take some time to arrive but I knew the whole pre-order process would take time. The unit arrived damaged, so bad I had to ship it back. After investigation, appears during the customs inspection the grinder was dropped. Option-O did everything one could reasonably expect, they shipped me an new one immediately and even offered the more expensive black version because they could get it to me quicker. I really wanted the silver so they made that happen. I paid for return shipping out of my own pocket, on the grounds they'd reimburse me, and as soon as I dropped it off and sent a receipt they refunded the cost of return shipping to my original form of payment. They gave me lots of trust and fast response times to my inquiries.

They worked to make it right and get the grinder in proper order.