Lagom P64 Flat (Option-O) - Page 98

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Renegade

#971: Post by Renegade »

Nice ! Thank you for the seasoning informations, I was aware of the oily beans but not the course setting.

How I understand the funnel tap caution is, when doing it too hard, you can compress the spring loaded pins and make the top burr to touch the bottom burr. Can you see something else why tapping too hard can damage the grinder ? (not planning to do it, just curious)

I checked the alignment today, and while the pencil I used to do so was not perfect for the task, It was good enough to notice that there is no major alignment issues on the grinder, so I don't think that further testing about this will lead to a solution (runouts of the carriers etc).

I will go to the grocery store (like...now) and buy some oily beans, and grind them at a course setting to make sure that the seasoning process is more appropriate.

Cheers !

Peter_SVK

#972: Post by Peter_SVK »

CoffeeCoffeeCoffee wrote:The user manual mentions that a light tap is okay, so then I guess everything relative!
If 0.1g or whatever falls from the chute highly matters, then yes ... :D

Weber Workshops: tools for building better coffee
Sponsored by Weber Workshops
Renegade

#973: Post by Renegade »

With a 17-19g dose at an espresso setting with a light roast, the retention when I tap is about 0.3g

...But on a 30g dose at a V60 setting with a light roast, the retention when I tap (hammer the grinder) is about 3.0g.

Both measurements are with A LOT of RDT (beans sticks to the grinder's body and I have to push them by hand in the grinding chamber).

I am actually grinding dark roast oily beans at a french press setting and can't get all the grounds off the grinder with several taps (hammer the grinder): the chute is clogged and the grinding chamber is full.

Renegade

#974: Post by Renegade »

Update: Just sold the grinder to my downstairs neighbor and will order an EG-1 later in the evening. I will not contribute to this thread anymore, and will never get another grinder with a ''is able to choke an espresso machine QC check'' again.

Thank you very much for those who gave me relevant information :)

Cheers !

SteveRhinehart

#975: Post by SteveRhinehart »

Last week I hit the one year mark with my Lagom. I thought I'd post some up to date impressions.

1. I'm still very satisfied with this grinder. I have used it primarily for espresso, with a healthy smattering of filter brewing. I've put probably around 20 lbs of beans through it so far, all with the original unimodal burrs. It's a solid product with (IMO) great looks and great function. I have had better/tastier/more complex extractions on other grinders, but I'm not really the sort that wants an EK43 on my workbench necessarily. I'll consider more home-friendly big flats in the future, I'm sure.

2. RDT is still largely necessary for most of the coffees I use. Part of this is just for mess control, as there will be errant dust flying up around the spout and settling on anything within about a foot of the grinder. RDT cuts this down considerably.

3. I very much enjoy the flavor off the unimodal burrs. I had been concerned that I would be putting myself in a corner with one burr set for multiple needs, but for the lighter roasts I enjoy they really shine in my opinion. I'm using a dual boiler E61 machine with a flow control mod and have not had any trouble choking the machine, nor do I have problematic channeling as some others have seen. I don't often use a bottomless portafilter, but in the cases that I have, I've seen at worst a little spritz jet. For filter brewing, I switch between a few brewing devices - I have an Origami dripper that I use with their V60-style filters or with Kalita Wave 185 filters, I brew Waves as well, and occasionally I'll use my Chemex but I've been trying to limit that while filters are in such short supply. I don't have any complaints to speak of, but I went in expecting that the brews would not be as clear and complex as they would be with a larger burrset. To that end, they are very solid and remind me of the Guatemala/Kenia brews I've had, if not running a little cleaner in flavor. I have no issues with getting my desired brew times either. I won't speculate on the fines produced, because I switch coffees and roasters often. I don't have enough to go on there.

4. At this point, I have no idea what variable RPM actually does to beans. I speculated early on that low RPM seemed to suit espresso better than filter, but now I have no clear preference. In some instances I prefer the flavor of a low RPM shot, but then I'll switch to a new coffee and try dialing in by RPM and wind up on a 5 or 6. Same goes for filter. Perhaps there is a consistent effect on grind uniformity happening that I'm overlooking, but as far as flavor goes I consider it just another small adjustment to tweak for dialing in. I approach it similar to grind size, but tweak it last: once I have dialed in a dose and grind size, roughly, I'll try a different RPM and see how I like that. I think of the dial as split into thirds, or quarters, where the two end extremes tend to have fairly distinct differences in flavor, but the middle sections might not be so clearly identifiable.

5. My lower/rotating burr arrived with some blemishes in the finish which now seem to be a potential problem. At first it seemed only a cosmetic defect that didn't affect grind performance and did not show any signs of additional wear for the first few months. After a year, I'm seeing some slight signs of wear near the cutting edges themselves, with what appears to be bare metal showing through. My upper burr did not have the same spotting defect and still looks as good as new now.

6. I have a set of high uniformity burrs on hand now that I plan to swap to fairly soon. I'll put those through a few months of use to get a feel for them and come back with some thoughts. I would also like to test the multipurpose burrs. I can't do a direct head to head comparison for obvious reasons, but I can at least give them a good honest try and report what I think.

Here's a shot of the color and cut difference between the burrs for those interested. They're both red speed coated, but the coating composition/thickness seems to have changed at some point.

Peter_SVK

#976: Post by Peter_SVK »

SteveRhinehart wrote: ...
Here's a shot of the color and cut difference between the burrs for those interested. They're both red speed coated, but the coating composition/thickness seems to have changed at some point.
I've noticed exactly the same, unimodal burrs are a little bit more reddish (Lagom P64 Flat (Option-O)), while H-U are a bit yellowish (Lagom P64 Flat (Option-O)) (pictures are not side-by-side, but the difference is noticeable).

TenLayers
Supporter ♡

#977: Post by TenLayers »

Nice objective (as much as one can be considering the subjectives) report Steve.

BPlus: turning your coffee spirit
Sponsored by BPlus
bakafish

#978: Post by bakafish »

SteveRhinehart wrote:It's a solid product with (IMO) great looks and great function. I have had better/tastier/more complex extractions on other grinders, but I'm not really the sort that wants an EK43 on my workbench necessarily. I'll consider more home-friendly big flats in the future, I'm sure.
I have exactly the same thoughts.
Thanks Steve. Looking forward to hear your experience of the HU burrs.

My multi-purpose burrs color is the same as the HU burrs color, no reddish. They were from Option-O at the same time.

A Coffee Wanderer

#979: Post by A Coffee Wanderer »

Update: Just sold the grinder to my downstairs neighbor and will order an EG-1 later in the evening. I will not contribute to this thread anymore, and will never get another grinder with a ''is able to choke an espresso machine QC check'' again.

Cheers !
Auch! So sorry about that man, I actually went with a preorder after trying my friend's Lagom and loved everything about it. I would maybe suggest an easier way to remove the cute for easier management of any bits of retention, and that's about it. Well The EG-1 is twice the price, so it better resolve all the problems you had! happy grinding!

Espressoman007

#980: Post by Espressoman007 »

Renegade wrote:Update: Just sold the grinder to my downstairs neighbor and will order an EG-1 later in the evening. I will not contribute to this thread anymore, and will never get another grinder with a ''is able to choke an espresso machine QC check'' again.

Cheers !
Hi,
Yup, with dark beans, retention and static are much bigger. Today I purged 1 g, but I don't care about saving money with 1 g, more or less, it's more that I don't want stale coffee inside the chamber to mix with the fresh one.
So, you sold the grinder that you don't like to your neighbour? Haha, a good neighbour or a bad neighbour? Watch out that he doesn't come knocking at your front door mad in a month or so.
Hey, why did you choose EG-1 over others? I am planing to buy Monolith conical, but unfortunately, I don't have a neighbour like you who wants Lagom :)

Your experience made me laugh, thanks for sharing!

Cheers!

P.S. You can send me PM.