Lagom P64 Flat (Option-O) - Page 29

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
belegnole

#281: Post by belegnole »

truemagellen wrote:awesome...it is my favorite tool in all my years of espresso collecting
I have to agree that it's a great tool.
LMWDP #641

Geoffr

#282: Post by Geoffr »

I received my Lagom a few days ago. I have ground a sacrificial kilo of cheap coffee, and have made about 10 shots so far.

First impressions are very good, I've got it dialed in pretty well and am making some very nice shots. So far I have not got into fine adjustments, but have an impression of what it can do with a few different coffees. I might buy a kilo of something and set everything as perfectly as I can to really judge it properly.

Based on the caffeine buzz, it seems to be extracting a fair bit higher than the Comandante I've been using while I waited.

No major static issues, it's still new so it's not static free, but no problem. A couple of sprays and a medium motor speed and I'm fine.

It's very well made, and easy to use. Workflow is great, and it makes zero mess, either straight into the porta, or into the cup.

Grounds are super fluffy, and look very even as far as I can see.

I did the retention test of weighing before and after, and got exactly the same weight of coffee out as I put in.

I imagine it will continue to get better over the next few kilos as it seasons, and as I learn a tricks and quirks.

Valo_Soul

#283: Post by Valo_Soul » replying to Geoffr »

Fantastic, encouraging feedback!

LatteDaddy

#284: Post by LatteDaddy »

Indeed! Thanks for the impressions, Geoffr!

valoben

#285: Post by valoben »

I would be interested to hear how the lagom with SSP burrs deals with medium to medium dark roast. While it's not the burrs they recommend for dark roast, I am curious.

I am quite new to the espresso game and have almost only tried medium roasted beans at home, which can hard to define precisely. I had the chance to bring back 2 different beans from Laos (supposed to be city roast IIRC, I find them quite dark to my standards), and it's the first time I could taste what I would consider to be a harsh/burnt taste. Maybe I'm not a dark roast lover.

But I wouldn't want to buy a grinder which extracts so much that it would easily give a harsh/bitter flavor if the roast is a little too much on the dark/medium-dark side of the force. More specifically, I'm afraid these high uniformity burrs would force me to updose (less desirable with dark roasts ?) and use less pressure to compensate for the fast flow, possibly also sacrificing crema/mouthfeel.

Is this a concern I should have ?

Geoffr

#286: Post by Geoffr » replying to valoben »

Sounds to me like you may not like dark roast coffee. That harsh bitter taste will come from the beans. The burrs can only emphasize the flavours inherent in the beans, they can't change what is there.

The appeal of high extraction really is to bring out more of the good stuff, but you need to have beans you like!

valoben

#287: Post by valoben »

Option O is currently updating the website, before opening the next batch of preorders next week.
They added a 3rd burr set choice : SSP High Uniformity Red Speed Espresso Geometry.
It will also be possible to preorder a second set of burrs at a discounted price

knumph

#288: Post by knumph »

Ugh. Awful timing for me personally on opening preorders. I'm essentially working half-time and it's hard to justify dropping a couple grand on a grinder.

Me2
Supporter

#289: Post by Me2 »

valoben wrote:Option O is currently updating the website, before opening the next batch of preorders next week.
They added a 3rd burr set choice : SSP High Uniformity Red Speed Espresso Geometry.
It will also be possible to preorder a second set of burrs at a discounted price
Hayden was talking about SSP Mythos geometry burrs a while ago. Think one and the same?

valoben

#290: Post by valoben »

My guess is that they correspond to the Mazzer 64mm SSP brew and Mazzer 64mm SSP espresso burrs, both red speed.