Lagom P64 Flat (Option-O) - Page 28

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Me2

#271: Post by Me2 »

Peter_SVK wrote:Did somebody take any pictures of the internals, e.g. lower burr carrier, upper burr carrier, etc? I would be interested to see some details from inside.
If you look on YouTube there are a couple videos worth a look.

LatteDaddy

#272: Post by LatteDaddy »

Does anyone know when the next batch of Lagom64 grinders will be available for order? I'm very interested in this to replace my Sette!

Advertisement
TheWhiteYeti (original poster)

#273: Post by TheWhiteYeti (original poster) »

I just received mine in the mail today (4.5 days from shipment notification) I was very impressed with the packaging-double boxed with plastic corner reinforcements and a foam holder to keep it tight in the inner box.

I set it up after work and tested my offset point (difference between burr rub and burr lock), and I have about a .5-.6 offset for those who may find that number relevant.

I then made a pour-over that was too fine of a grind. After coarsening the grind I made another pour over that was really solid in comparison to the same coffee ground using my Pharos. I got quite a bit more separation on the fruitiness of the natural and a pleasant accompanying acidity.

It is extremely quiet, much quieter running empty than the electric kettle heating up and quieter grinding than my Pharos. I actually had to ask my wife to stop running the sink when I first tested it because I wanted to hear it grind.

Overall I'm very impressed with my first experience. I'll likely test it for espresso on my Prestina this weekend.

Geoffr

#274: Post by Geoffr »

Sounds great, glad to hear it, and that shipping went smoothly with all the issues at the moment!

Bazzawill

#275: Post by Bazzawill »

TheWhiteYeti wrote:I just received mine in the mail today (4.5 days from shipment notification) I was very impressed with the packaging-double boxed with plastic corner reinforcements and a foam holder to keep it tight in the inner box.

I set it up after work and tested my offset point (difference between burr rub and burr lock), and I have about a .5-.6 offset for those who may find that number relevant.

I then made a pour-over that was too fine of a grind. After coarsening the grind I made another pour over that was really solid in comparison to the same coffee ground using my Pharos. I got quite a bit more separation on the fruitiness of the natural and a pleasant accompanying acidity.

It is extremely quiet, much quieter running empty than the electric kettle heating up and quieter grinding than my Pharos. I actually had to ask my wife to stop running the sink when I first tested it because I wanted to hear it grind.

Overall I'm very impressed with my first experience. I'll likely test it for espresso on my Prestina this weekend.

Good to hear, I am particularly interested in hearing more on how it compares to the Pharos (my daily driver), particularly for espresso (and a lever at that).
Or perhaps I don't want to know as I can't see the wife agreeing to another upgrade
LMWDP #640

LatteDaddy

#276: Post by LatteDaddy »

Any more impressions or pics/vids of new users' experience with the Lagom? Real life media of this grinder is seriously lacking!

TenLayers
Supporter ♡

#277: Post by TenLayers »

I'm waiting to use it awhile before saying much. It does seem it needs some usage before coming to conclusions on it. One thing though I noticed right off is when I pull down on the lever to push a bit of water through or to clean it at the end of the morning, the water is coming through the head is way cleaner. Not really sure why but before I always had more of the previous shot's grinds in the water.
The "logs" that others spoke of are lessening so I think it's best to evaluate after some usage.
I've had mine maybe 10 days at this point.

Advertisement
truemagellen

#278: Post by truemagellen replying to TenLayers »

When you have a more uniform grind the coffee 'interlocks' together more even and tightly. Also when you can go tighter it is more fine and when you compress with the tamper it turns into a more solid structure. So when the water is applied to the puck it does not break apart and mix with the column of water that forums in the group (the 800s group) before applying pressure.

That is why many lever group machine owners with good grinders report super clean groups. It is a one way system (no 3 way valve evacuating coffee water back out the group) and when the coffee is also well compacted due to the finger and more uniform grind...it is much less cleaning work.

If you want to do a regular clean look into the Espazzola grouphead cleaning tool which you insert, then rotate back and forth while lever is down.

TenLayers
Supporter ♡

#279: Post by TenLayers »

Makes sense.
I do use the Espazzola every day right before turning off the machine.

truemagellen

#280: Post by truemagellen replying to TenLayers »

awesome...it is my favorite tool in all my years of espresso collecting