Lagom P64 Flat (Option-O) - Page 27

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
FlatWhite

#261: Post by FlatWhite »

max wrote: In an attempt to bring back the discussion to the grinder: This is my first flat burr grinder. I am still in the process of learning how to best adapt to the change, and I find myself dosing much higher (than I used to) to get more resistance without overextracting. Is that normally how it goes with flats? The shots are all great; I'm just wondering.

I haven't experimented too much with pour overs lately. My current beans shine more as espresso.
It shouldn't necessarily be the case, but I think much depends on the type of coffee you're using (dark/medium/light) and the type of machine. I always use 18gr as my basis, otherwise there will be too many variables. From there I grind finer or coarser and after that adjust time to fine tune. Matt Perger has a great You-tube film how he gets to his perfect shot. It has helped me a lot.

Geoffr

#262: Post by Geoffr »

max wrote: In an attempt to bring back the discussion to the grinder: This is my first flat burr grinder. I am still in the process of learning how to best adapt to the change, and I find myself dosing much higher (than I used to) to get more resistance without overextracting. Is that normally how it goes with flats? The shots are all great; I'm just wondering.

I haven't experimented too much with pour overs lately. My current beans shine more as espresso.
If the shots are great, nothing to worry about!

Perhaps the grinder you moved from was producing a lot of fines, and they were slowing the shots down.

max

#263: Post by max »

FlatWhite wrote:... I always use 18gr as my basis, otherwise there will be too many variables. From there I grind finer or coarser and after that adjust time to fine tune. ...
I used to (try) to keep the dose constant, but now I feel like I have to adjust. If I drop it a little from my current 20 g, then I would need to grind finer to retain any pressure at all. This I can't seem to do without overextracting.
(Just to be clear: The shots are good, so there is currently no problem. Thanks for the reply. I'll check out the video when I find time.)
Geoffr wrote:If the shots are great, nothing to worry about!
Not quite true... there's the issue of caffeine consumption :D Gone are the days of dosing 12 g

FWIW: Lately, I have been working with two Drop Coffee beans and one from Passenger.

Me2
Supporter

#264: Post by Me2 »

Good news. Shipping restrictions may be relaxed next week.

https://www.option-o.com/news/2020/3/7/ ... uary-batch

Geoffr

#265: Post by Geoffr »

I have received my email from them, the next batch will be shipping soon. Hopefully this week.

Me2
Supporter

#266: Post by Me2 » replying to Geoffr »

Ditto. Fingers crossed.

Me2
Supporter

#267: Post by Me2 »

Got email. Black SSP in transit. Tracking info coming!

discsinthesky

#268: Post by discsinthesky »

I continue to be extremely pleased with my SSP Lagom in Black. I switch between pour over and espresso a fair amount and I have felt pretty good about the consistency. Also opened it up for the first time today since receiving it and found essentially no retention. It's been a great grinder for me!

Peter_SVK

#269: Post by Peter_SVK »

Did somebody take any pictures of the internals, e.g. lower burr carrier, upper burr carrier, etc? I would be interested to see some details from inside.

smite

#270: Post by smite »

I would definitely be interested in any comparisons and more details on how this stacks up to the similarly priced Caedos or the much lower priced Niche.