Lagom P64 Flat (Option-O) - Page 254

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
whatdisay
Supporter ★

#2531: Post by whatdisay »

Cwilli62 wrote:No. I did not pay attention to that. I will do so in the future.
I know that on my Turin DF64V it made a big difference. You may want to rotate it around and check how it operates in each position.

erik82

#2532: Post by erik82 »

jmvdigital wrote:Yes, my zero point (burr chirp) seems to change after disassembling my P64 for cleaning. Has done this the last two times. Theoretically, re-calibrating the zero point should keep your grind setting the same, but I can't figure out why the zero point is changing.
After disassembling if you put it back tohether the way you pulled it apart it shouldn't be off be more than 0.1 on the dial. And that's perfectly normal as there no more coffee stuck in there. If it's more you probably swapped the bearing or turned the upper burr carrier. It shouldn't be off be a full number or more or else you probably did something wrong.

Cwilli62

#2533: Post by Cwilli62 »

Thanks for all of the replies, everyone. The dry erase marker test came back positive with alignment. And I didn't change anything else. So with that and the comments here, I'll conclude for now that it was not an issue with the grinder and will look elsewhere in the process for possible answers.

dmacleod

#2534: Post by dmacleod »

I'm about to pull the trigger on a P64 and was trying to figure out which burrs to go with intially, between Omni and HU. I've decided HU is what likely suits me, espresso only and usually med roasts. If I were to start experimenting with light roasts, would this still be the best choice to handle both? I've stared at the burr chart long enough but don't want to end up switching right away.

wala12

#2535: Post by wala12 »

Do previous versions of the P64 have easier access to the burrs than the newest version?
And which burr set do you recommend for sweet clarity for pour over using light roast only? - I don't drink espresso.

RainyDayEspresso
Supporter ♡

#2536: Post by RainyDayEspresso »

Did you maybe drop one of the three pusher/springs in the main body that push up on the upper carrier? I was going to ask whether you forgot the bearing (I've done that), but it sounds like you've checked that part.

whatdisay
Supporter ★

#2537: Post by whatdisay »

wala12 wrote:Do previous versions of the P64 have easier access to the burrs than the newest version?
And which burr set do you recommend for sweet clarity for pour over using light roast only? - I don't drink espresso.
I got mine in January of this year and I find accessing and cleaning the burrs incredibly easy. What issue concerns you?

Jeff
Team HB

#2538: Post by Jeff »

dmacleod wrote:... If I were to start experimenting with light roasts, would this still be the best choice to handle both? I've stared at the burr chart long enough but don't want to end up switching right away.
One of the good things about 64 mm SJ-pattern grinders is that the burrs aren't very expensive. The SSP ones are often available on the used market. The 64 HU burrs are pretty traditional in their profile. They won't highlight what a light roast has to offer for either espresso or filter. The 64 Mizen that I have is in the Moonshine finish before they went to media blasted. I suspect the current ones are "tuned down" a bit. There's also the Mizen ES which I have not tried. With my experiences with the 64 and 98 Mizen burrs, I would order with either the Mizen ES or Mizen, depending on if you want a more traditional or higher clarity burr set.

Cool Beans
Supporter

#2539: Post by Cool Beans »

The first iteration I'd describe as moderately easy to clean. Just a lot of twisting to remove the funnel and you're in.

jfjj

#2540: Post by jfjj »

I second the Mizen. If you aren't going darker than medium you'll be well served with the new Mizen. That or the ES. I have the Original Mizen and love the light and medium on it.
- Jean