Lagom P64 Flat (Option-O) - Page 239

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Scott_29
Supporter ♡

#2381: Post by Scott_29 »

KKUK wrote:Are you still getting sausage clumping? My guess is that the grinder still hasn't worked out all of its shipping static. Retention should improve once it calms down.
Over the past couple of days it has been better. I'm making it a point to "bellow out" the grinder after each usage, which I am sure is helping. I am noticing less overall retention so hopefully your assessment is correct that this could be shipping static that needs to work itself through. Another thing that I think may indicate static is I am getting a lot of grinds sticking to the portafilter funnel.

I contacted Option-O about this and they asked for photos of my burrs, which I sent to them this afternoon. They were extremely responsive and have said I can ask for a replacement, refund, or work with them on troubleshooting. Their customer service seems amazing, and that gives me a lot more confidence. I want the P-64 to work so I'm going to give it another couple weeks and see where things are at. I think I'd be much more upset if the espresso was bad, but I have no complaints on that end!

coldcoffee

#2382: Post by coldcoffee »

Has OptionO fixed the declumper in the recent designs or the grinds still come out of one side? That's my main gripe with this model.

Scott_29
Supporter ♡

#2383: Post by Scott_29 replying to coldcoffee »

You know it's funny you mentioned this. I've noticed this all along and it's still happening and it's really bothering me. The grounds come out of the right side of the shoot (when facing the grinder). The grounds do not collect in the basket nicely and have to be actively redistributed.

I feel I'm back at the point where I think I'm going to ask for a refund. $1,600 demands close to perfection, and I feel this machine is going to do nothing but cause frustration. I will say I've enjoyed the coffee but from an overall workflow perspective I can get better in a machine that's $1000 less.

maccompatible

#2384: Post by maccompatible »

coldcoffee wrote:Has OptionO fixed the declumper in the recent designs or the grinds still come out of one side? That's my main gripe with this model.
This is the first I'm hearing of this. On mine, and it looks similar to most videos I've seen, the grounds are mostly on the back side of the portafilter. But I'm going to WDT anyway, so it really doesn't matter at all. Unless you're trying to not WDT, this is a non-issue. You could make the argument that in a cafe setting you don't have time for WDT, but the P64 wasn't designed for that.
"Wait. People drink coffee just for the caffeine??"
LMWDP #628

theveterans

#2385: Post by theveterans »

coldcoffee wrote:Has OptionO fixed the declumper in the recent designs or the grinds still come out of one side? That's my main gripe with this model.
This is fixed because the current declumper is now back to the kidney bean design. However, the declumper has a tendency to break from the housing and replacing it on the current P64 model is a PITA. You almost have to do a full teardown just to get to it. I'm not sure if Option O has redesigned the replacement declumper with a sturdier build. If the replacement screen is made with titanium (which I seriously doubt), the issue of it breaking off the housing after months of use should never happen

coldcoffee

#2386: Post by coldcoffee »

You're getting all the grinds come through the centre even with the speed set to 9?

theveterans

#2387: Post by theveterans »

Even at 9 RPM, the grounds collect at the center of the chute at least on mine with 2 RDT sprays

Scott_29
Supporter ♡

#2388: Post by Scott_29 »

Is this a known issue with the grinds being poorly distributed and coming out of the chute in a non-even manner? You can see below what I am experiencing. This has the portafilter funnel on it and it's covered in grinds and the distribution is awful...it's much worse than these pics show as I distributed a bit so that the grinds didn't flow over the edge.

Sure, you can WDT as most people do, but I do not feel this is something that should be so poor on a grinder of this price/build.

theveterans

#2389: Post by theveterans »

Not normal. Mine never did that since day one. I'd seriously get a replacement in that case

Jeff
Team HB

#2390: Post by Jeff »

You should expect to use RDT or other type of static mitigation with any single-dosing, high-performace, flat-burr grinder.