Lagom P64 Flat (Option-O) - Page 235

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
manuscriptmaster

#2341: Post by manuscriptmaster »

Yet another (shorter) update with my Lagom P64 + unimodal v1 burrs:

I've been grinding light roast coffees (Sey and Manhattan) at 3 RPM, and this week I started doing 1 RPM to see whether it narrowed particle distribution or just moved it all slightly coarser. I got my first stalls on the Shoondhisa Ethiopian from Manhattan (~4.6 from zero point), and over the week I've noticed that noticeably more coffee doesn't make it out the chute. Now every other time I start up the grinder, it spurts out 1-2 beans worth of coffee.

So TL;DR: Filter coffee workflow is not nearly as nice on the lowest RPM. Retention does seem to be an issue at the lowest setting, and stalling can happen with light roasts even for filter coffee. As a result, I'm trying out 2 RPM. I'm not yet able to tell how RPM is affecting the particle distribution (other than having to tweak the grind size slightly to compensate).

jfjj

#2342: Post by jfjj »

I experienced a microstall with some super light stuff but not the retention issue. Have you cleaned the shoot lately?
- Jean

manuscriptmaster

#2343: Post by manuscriptmaster »

I got it early June and haven't cleaned it yet. After going to 2 RPM the retention is not nearly as bad. Before, I would get 1-2 beans of ground coffee every time I started it up.

Unfortunately cleaning the burrs isn't as easy now that you have to loosen two screws.

UPDATE: 2 RPM with 1 spray RDT seems to be working just fine in terms of retention. The before/after weights are within the same 0.1 g.

filmdubber

#2344: Post by filmdubber »

Yes I did have duties in Canada. Ordered directly from OO.

The Bone Ranger

#2345: Post by The Bone Ranger »

manuscriptmaster wrote: Unfortunately cleaning the burrs isn't as easy now that you have to loosen two screws.
We must have different definitions of 'easy.' It might not be 'tool free' anymore, but isn't hard!

Sure, you need an Allen key (which I believe they supply now) but if I have the Allen key in my possession, I reckon I can access to the burrs in under 30 seconds. Judging from previous videos, that's roughly how long the previous model would take to unscrew.

espressosnob_LT

#2346: Post by espressosnob_LT »

filmdubber wrote:Yes I did have duties in Canada. Ordered directly from OO.

You can buy from cafune.ca avoid duties/brokerage fees. That's where I bought mine.

filmdubber

#2347: Post by filmdubber »

Of course! Altho you don't avoid them, it's build into the price. My import duties were 90$ or so. The grinder game to 2035 Cad with exchange from OO, so 2200 let's round up. Cafune lists them at 2300 starting, guessing the 100 is their profit margin. Etc.

They'll get the duty from you one way or another, either you pay it on import, or you pay the retailer, whose paid it on import. I would also guess you had GST? (Sales tax).. I worked it out and it ordered directly as it was slightly cheaper. Altho, more of a headache tracking the shipping and such. If retailers had them in stock, I'd buy - but thy have wait lists and they just get in the same cue as everyone else, and cost more.

maccompatible

#2348: Post by maccompatible »

My mid-June, black + Mizen order just shipped! Can't wait.
"Wait. People drink coffee just for the caffeine??"
LMWDP #628

maccompatible

#2349: Post by maccompatible »

Just got it in today. Mizen burrs. I have a lighter roast that I started with. Ground on 0.3 and it was turbo. Put it down to 0.1 and it pulled exactly as it should, though that seems like a really tight grind to need... Surprisingly syrupy and thick shot, with basically no astringency. I know these burrs are completely different than the steel vario brew burrs, but it's amazing how different they really are. I also can't believe how quiet it is, though I don't think I'll ever forget its on based on initial impressions. The top-tap does a good job of bellowing. Overall super impressed, and I can't wait to keep pulling shots over the next few days!
"Wait. People drink coffee just for the caffeine??"
LMWDP #628

jfjj

#2350: Post by jfjj »

did you have to adjust your 0? I had to re adjust mine
- Jean