Lagom P64 Flat (Option-O) - Page 229

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
barNone

#2281: Post by barNone »

Radio.YYZ wrote:The one that comes with the machine or the optional separate purchase "transfer cup"?
Both: the Versa transfer cup comes with the August 2022+ models.

https://www.option-o.com/shop/accessories-versa

brackc

#2282: Post by brackc »

beanman wrote:Agree, and I wish they made it to allow thru-tamping.
I have a drill press, and drum-sanding disks, so I setup a 2" drum with course abrasive, and enlarged the funnel inside diameter. Smoothed it up with medium, then fine abrasive. Worked pretty good. Now my ECM stock tamper goes thru it.
Of course, my black funnel is now silver for about 1/4 the internal height.
You could head to a local workshop that does anodisation and they could return it to a black anodised finish if this bothers you. I'm more curious as to why they didn't try harder to polish the aluminium before anodising it themselves, I've seen much smoother aluminium surfaces at work where we weren't even after a smooth surface!

I do wonder what material would be best here from a static perspective, stainless should theoretically be even better for the same surface properties... But I'd want to see some testing to prove that!

Sp0ke

#2283: Post by Sp0ke »

If you RDT , do you still have retention on the walls? I havent used my P64 yet , because I'm still waiting for it. BUT when I use the cup of Niche Zero i still do have retention but when I RDTed it and then no retention on the wall , but i do agree its built different from Option O's cup. If you retention even with RDT , why just dont grind directly on the portafilter?

Radio.YYZ

#2284: Post by Radio.YYZ »

barNone wrote:Both: the Versa transfer cup comes with the August 2022+ models.

https://www.option-o.com/shop/accessories-versa
Good to know, mine was mid 2022 so i only have the one piece cup that does not separate.
Good Coffee: Technique/Knowledge > Grinder > Beans > Water > Machine

battier

#2285: Post by battier »

Sp0ke wrote:If you RDT , do you still have retention on the walls? I havent used my P64 yet , because I'm still waiting for it. BUT when I use the cup of Niche Zero i still do have retention but when I RDTed it and then no retention on the wall , but i do agree its built different from Option O's cup. If you retention even with RDT , why just dont grind directly on the portafilter?
I actually had this issue and mentioned it a few pages ago on this thread. It all but disappeared after a few kg through the grinder though. Minimal static and almost no grounds stuck to the wall of the Versa cup.

filmdubber

#2286: Post by filmdubber »

Radio.YYZ wrote:The one that comes with the machine or the optional separate purchase "transfer cup"?
After Aug 2022 the magnetic "magic" transfer cup comes with p64 standard.

Eklektik

#2287: Post by Eklektik »

Long shot but anyone jumped from a Niche to a P64 with a SSP HU that can provide any feedback? Wondering between the P64 and the Zerno. It seems most of you have the MP burrs but I'm drinking 90% of the time strait espresso so HU makes more sense for me.

Michiel_loves_coffee

#2288: Post by Michiel_loves_coffee »

You can find something about the jump from Niche to P64 on the channel from The Real Sprometheus or Kyle Rowsell, one of those two made the jump and made a clip about it. Wasn't recent so you might have to search for it.
Also consider the Mizen burrs, I like those very much for medium to light roasts for espresso.

Sp0ke

#2289: Post by Sp0ke »

I drink 100% espresso drinks at the moment , and i went with the mizen option. Maybe in near future ill start making filter coffee, but till then i feel like (hope so) Mizen will do great in espresso drinks

jfjj
Supporter ♡

#2290: Post by jfjj »

Michiel_loves_coffee wrote:You can find something about the jump from Niche to P64 on the channel from The Real Sprometheus or Kyle Rowsell, one of those two made the jump and made a clip about it. Wasn't recent so you might have to search for it.
Also consider the Mizen burrs, I like those very much for medium to light roasts for espresso.
Spro did the jump but went MP I think. I would say HU are well enough respected that the OP won't have any issues reguardless.
- Jean