Lagom P64 Flat (Option-O) - Page 226

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Ad-85

#2251: Post by Ad-85 »

I like the mizen burrs for espresso and they tasted really good at filter. I saw an Asian barista on YouTube covering the black forks with heat shrinking tubes so I followed his advice which was brilliant tbh. I'm a big fan of p64 and I like living in the 64mm & 80mm world (cheaper burrs + forgiving)
LMWDB #691
LeverHeads group on Telegram

filmdubber

#2252: Post by filmdubber »

I ordered mine directly from them, to Canada and it was easy and efficient. March dispatch. Shipping was about 6 days and there was a small duty fee of 40ish $.

In the end they did send me the wrong spec, it was someone else's grinder - was 220v, and HU burrs - I ordered Uni. They gave me the option of returning it or sending me the burr set and a 120v power control board with instructions on how to swap them. Which I did, took 10 mins and got a free SSP burr set. The video they sent had about 30 views, so I doubt this happens often at all. Their support was top notch, I would email during the day and have a reply the next morning - usually 1am as they're in Australia. In the end - it's a solid grinder, there is no need to shim or align, any variation doesn't affect the cup. The taste and consistency improvement is extremely noticeable over my Eurika. Besides this logistics error no complaints. Adjusting, the new zero lock when you switch burrs takes about 5 mins,

Bastian987

#2253: Post by Bastian987 »

Is there a reason why the screws fixing the burrs are slotted and not, for example, Torx? Did somebody replace the screws with different ones?

I'm switching back and forth between HU and Mizen for comparison and feel this would be an even smoother experience with screws other than slotted ones.

burnt_turd

#2254: Post by burnt_turd »

ordered mine 1/18/23 and received it just last week ............... i got the ssp brew burrs (the ones that look like the multipurpose burrs but with the outer cutting edges)

happy so far minus a few complaints

workflow is really good and grinder is super quiet
nice fluffy, uniform grinds

static is awful despite RDT (perhaps lack of seasoning as I havent run anything through it in bulk to season in any way so far) - im hoping this resolves

also the catch cup is awful......the declumper is obtrusive and pointless for filter dosing

overall i really like it but just hope the static decreases with seasoning ..............any idea where i can get a better catch cup? just something simple?

coming from the ode w/ ssp this is a huge improvement in workflow and retention........havent done any taste comparisons so i cant really jump to any conclusions .........i stil say the commandante gives me brews just as good just different type of brews .........i think it all comes down to preference

barNone

#2255: Post by barNone »

I use the Rhinowares catch cup, it sits inside the P64's dosing cup which then sits atop the forks under the chute. The RW cup has straight walls and has no gaps or spaces inside to collect grounds which is why I like it, plus it's short enough to fit under the chute as shown in the photo below.

https://clivecoffee.com/products/rhino-dosing-cup

burnt_turd

#2256: Post by burnt_turd »

but the new p64 cup has a contraption in there that lays across the cup so that wouldnt work for me

barNone

#2257: Post by barNone »

The P64 dosing cup separates into two, they're just held together by magnets. That's how my cup fits in there.

barNone

#2258: Post by barNone »

So a bit of an incident today and likely had been slowly happening over time: the center bolt holding the bottom burr in place came loose!

I was wondering why my espresso grinds lately were extracting weird, the water pressure would build up and sit there for 15-20 seconds before the first drop from the bottomless PF came out which suggests a lot of fines, and also minute grind adjustments seemed quite inconsistent over 6-8 extractions ranging anywhere between 24-37 seconds. Today I changed RPM settings from 6 down to 3 to see if producing too many fines was the issue, then I started hearing this (new) ticking sound happening about twice per second. I went up and down the RPM range briefly, still heard it. Finally I opened up the grind chamber to check for something stuck only to find the center bolt came loose which was the source of the ticking, the loose bolt was probably rattling against the burr carrier, and hopefully the carrier was not rattling against the burr chamber. I don't see any damage done to the burrs or the chamber so I'm relieved I caught the issue no later than I did.

This is a 13mm counterclockwise nut with no washer between it and the lower burr carrier. I tightened it back on as best I could (did not use chop sticks to stop the burr from rotating) and that fixed the immediate issue. Now I'm concerned this problem might happen again after some unknown time and that I"m going to have to open up the grinder more often to keep checking.

Now I'll have to dial in my grind setting again as the one I had been using isn't valid anymore. After tightening the bolt, the first extraction at the same grind setting (and back to RPM setting at 6) ran much faster so I'll have to grind finer than before.

I've had my v3 P64 since January 2023. Has anyone else had this problem?

Bastian987

#2259: Post by Bastian987 »

While I never had this issue, I have another one:
HU burrs with calibrated zero -> switching to Mizen without zero calibration -> switching back to HU

Now, the touching point is no longer at zero but at -0.4. This is (i) surprising to me and (ii) means I can not simply use old recipes (would have to add the current touching point to each shot).

Any ideas what could be the cause and how can I fix it?

jfjj
Supporter ♡

#2260: Post by jfjj »

Which version do you have?
- Jean