Lagom P64 Flat (Option-O) - Page 222

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
SteveRhinehart

#2211: Post by SteveRhinehart »

malling wrote:Version 2 means you need to take the burr completely off for every time you add shims, Version 1 does not, with that you can just loosen screws and take the shim out and replace with a thicker, so a lot quicker and you don't shim the inner part that can result in some interesting stuff.
How would you accomplish version 1 on a P64 without removing the burrs?

malling

#2212: Post by malling replying to SteveRhinehart »

Brain fart from my part, inner burr need to be removed and Option-O also the outer as far as I recall as it sits in a groove.

Problem with having played and aligned a little to many grinders.

div

#2213: Post by div »

Yes, shimming the bottom burr is slow, and regardless of v1 or 2 would require removal of the burr, I already spent few hours doing that. A big magnet helps a lot. Thanks for your comments.

SteveRhinehart

#2214: Post by SteveRhinehart »

malling wrote:Brain fart from my part, inner burr need to be removed and Option-O also the outer as far as I recall as it sits in a groove.

Problem with having played and aligned a little to many grinders.
Ha I was just imagining you must have a pretty neat trick to get it done!

Perhaps for the rotating burr you could access from the side by removing the exit chute? On my older model that's a small window to access but I could see it working with a little practice.

p4lxrich

#2215: Post by p4lxrich »

div wrote:Yes, shimming the bottom burr is slow, and regardless of v1 or 2 would require removal of the burr, I already spent few hours doing that. A big magnet helps a lot. Thanks for your comments.
been debating on magnets to use too as i play around with burrs a lot. what magnets do you use that's strong enough? debating on two magnets to grab on opposing sides or one big circular one?

div

#2216: Post by div replying to p4lxrich »

Go with two it will be easier to work with. I use a single ferrite one, not very big I just put it on one side of the burr and gently pull, while helping the other side with a wood stick in the mounting whole. Downside of this is that I'm rotating the burr and shims are moving, might or might not be an issue for you. If you go with two magnets you will be able to pull the burr straight up.
I don't think you need some crazy neodymium magnets, just go with what you have at home. That said a horseshoe magnet would look pretty cool and in theory should work really well.

majs2009

#2217: Post by majs2009 »

Anyone here on January dispatch for their P64 order? Did you get your shipping notification/grinder?

I am wondering if Option-O are sticking with their schedule for P64 or they still have delays issue.

My order is February dispatch. Should I expect a shipping notification within couple of weeks or am I being optimistic?

Velomane

#2218: Post by Velomane »

majs2009 wrote:Anyone here on January dispatch for their P64 order? Did you get your shipping notification/grinder?
In Canada, my dealer expects their arrival imminently. That probably bodes well for everyone expecting a P64.

jmvdigital

#2219: Post by jmvdigital »

Anyone have the upper burr carrier bind in the grinder body depending on orientation?

I took apart my new P64 to familiarize myself, and failed to mark the position of the carrier in the body (since the carrier can be turned to three positions). I was doing the marker procedure to find which position had the best alignment and found one of the positions actually got the carrier stuck in the grinder. It took me several minutes and sore fingers to get it back out. I can see the metal-on-metal where the carrier got bound up. In the final (third) position, the carrier seems okay and I get full wipe on both upper and lower burrs.

Thoughts?

barNone

#2220: Post by barNone »

I had that happen in 1 of the 3 positions with my v3 though it was only a slight bind on mine. I haven't looked any closer into the cause yet.