Lagom P64 Flat (Option-O) - Page 221

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
div

#2201: Post by div »

I went through few kilograms of coffee and decided that is about time to do some cleanup and check the burrs. On the inside it was cleaner than I expected, build up was around the top burr, nothing too extraordinary.
What get me a little worried was the alignment, top burr was great, but bottom was really questionable.

I've tested all three positions and the rub was on the same place relative to the carrier, guess that it's the burr carrier. I've added foil shims below the outer edge and it's close to full rub. I had higher expectations on the factory alignment.
Is foil shimming reliable for those of you who had to do it, and how frequently do you retest it?

Bastian987

#2202: Post by Bastian987 »

I hope that's not the default, good factory alignment is one of the selling features compared to cheaper options. Maybe it's worth reaching out to Option-O to get their take and recommendation for fixing?

barNone

#2203: Post by barNone »

I should but haven't checked the alignment on my v3 P64. The factory set the zero point such that the burrs never touch and I've been too busy/lazy to remove the stopper to find out as I could be suddenly spending unforeseen hours with alignment once I start. Besides, out of the box my coffee has been mostly good with the Mizen burrs.

I've never RDTed before with any grinder and maybe I'm doing it wrong but I still prefer using bellows in general so I stuck the DF64 one into the P64 and it fits perfectly, though not so much for the funnel's anti-popcorning flap sticking out the side a bit. I find this lowered my retention a lot: I get out the weight I put in, and without the bellows I was getting 0.2-0.4g stuck inside. I still RDT for now even though the air is 50% humidity.

Curious, the collar on mine only has 1 guide pin installed even though the collar can take 2. Does everyone else have both?

YoshiKenji

#2204: Post by YoshiKenji »

How are you liking the Mizen burrs? Have you used the MP's or similar to compare them to?

malling

#2205: Post by malling »

div wrote:I went through few kilograms of coffee and decided that is about time to do some cleanup and check the burrs. On the inside it was cleaner than I expected, build up was around the top burr, nothing too extraordinary.
What get me a little worried was the alignment, top burr was great, but bottom was really questionable.
I've tested all three positions and the rub was on the same place relative to the carrier, guess that it's the burr carrier. I've added foil shims below the outer edge and it's close to full rub. I had higher expectations on the factory alignment.
Is foil shimming reliable for those of you who had to do it, and how frequently do you retest it?
It can work but is not a true replacement for a proper machined burr carrier and machined burr rim.

Have you contacted them if not so do that first, otherwise rotate the burr before shimming to find where it has the best alignment and then shim afterwards. I done this more often then I care about. It last about 6 months then it needs to be redone, there different foils that can be used some more reliably then others.

When you redo just use same amount as the one you replaced then check its usually make a clean wipe but otherwise it no more then single layer etc. in one spot.

barNone

#2206: Post by barNone »

YoshiKenji wrote:How are you liking the Mizen burrs? Have you used the MP's or similar to compare them to?
I haven't used MPs before but so far I'm liking the Mizens for the few medium roasts I've brewed for espresso compared to the Niche and 83 mm SSP HU espresso burrs in my Ceado, more flavors coming through while still retaining a fair amount of body.

There's also this Mizen thread with more user experiences than just mine.

jeetS

#2207: Post by jeetS »

Care to share your thoughts on the difference between the p64 and the df64¿

barNone

#2208: Post by barNone »

Can't, I never owned a DF64. I just bought its bellows and lid to help single dose my Ceado originally (and it works for the Niche too). It was only happenstance that the bellows fit the P64.

div

#2209: Post by div »

malling wrote:It can work but is not a true replacement for a proper machined burr carrier and machined burr rim.

Have you contacted them if not so do that first, otherwise rotate the burr before shimming to find where it has the best alignment and then shim afterwards. I done this more often then I care about. It last about 6 months then it needs to be redone, there different foils that can be used some more reliably then others.

When you redo just use same amount as the one you replaced then check its usually make a clean wipe but otherwise it no more then single layer etc. in one spot.
Hi I've contacted Option-O and their answer is that it's within specs and it shouldn't affect flavor. I can't say they are wrong, but I would rather prefer to have it better aligned than not.
I already rotated the burr on all 3 positions and found that the issue is with the carrier, not with the burr. Rub stays on the same place relative to the carrier no matter how the burr is rotated.
When shimming I know that the outer edge is the one doing the actual alignment, but do you still fold the foil in a S shape to catch the step edge (v2) and provide more stable placement or put it only on the outer edge (v1)?

malling

#2210: Post by malling replying to div »

Version 2 means you need to take the burr completely off for every time you add shims, Version 1 does not, with that you can just loosen screws and take the shim out and replace with a thicker, so a lot quicker and you don't shim the inner part that can result in some interesting stuff.