Lagom P64 Flat (Option-O) - Page 220

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
supernils

#2191: Post by supernils »

Hi,

I own a P64 of the very initial batch.

I have issues changing the burrs. I had situation where either the top or bottom burr was so fixed, that I simply could not change it.

Is there a bullet proof approach in getting them released without messing with crazy tools or something? I would love to switch my burrs more often but I am so fed up that I don't.

I read through the last 100 pages, but couldn't find a solution. Is it just me?

Any advise is appreciated. Enjoy Xmas!

Michiel_loves_coffee

#2192: Post by Michiel_loves_coffee »

Is it the burr that is stuck, or the screws?
The bottom burr can be a bit finicky to get out, I use chopsticks to lift the burr up. Never had any problems with the top burr.

supernils

#2193: Post by supernils »

It's the top burr that is completely fixed. I unscrewed it, but I can not move it a single bit :(

supernils

#2194: Post by supernils »

Managed to finally unlock it with a hammer and a plastic stick.

Acavia

#2195: Post by Acavia »

Is the collar threading made of steel or aluminum alloy?

babola

#2196: Post by babola replying to Acavia »

6061-T6 aircraft grade aluminium.

jevenator

#2197: Post by jevenator »

The LCU came with a pair of these circular magnets with a screwed on loop on top to take off the blind burrs. Maybe people with burrs stuck can use something like that. I'm guessing they're strong neodymium magnets.

jvanderhof

#2198: Post by jvanderhof »

SSP HU P64 arrived today from Prima.

Fantastic packaging from Option-O with corner bumpers and plenty of foam. Machine is certainly built with quality in mind and weighs the part.

A few obvious things I found out quickly
1. The top burr locating pins (3 of them) can fall out if you turn the machine upside down during cleaning.
2. The Burr carrier with adjustment limit block can be installed 180* around which throws off the dial.

The new burr removal system with two socket head cap screws to loosen is painless and seems like a fair trade as opposed to having to turn out a bunch of threads. The hex key needed is included. Also, I do wish the US plug would be oriented or designed such that the machine can sit closer to the wall.

Great machine so far and will be using it for aeropress, pour over and French press with lighter roasts but do have plans to compare against the niche and test the whole flats vs cones debate for myself.

salvia

#2199: Post by salvia »

jvanderhof wrote: Also, I do wish the US plug would be oriented or designed such that the machine can sit closer to the wall.
You could always replace the cord with a right-angle IEC cord:

div

#2200: Post by div »

I went through few kilograms of coffee and decided that is about time to do some cleanup and check the burrs. On the inside it was cleaner than I expected, build up was around the top burr, nothing too extraordinary.
What get me a little worried was the alignment, top burr was great, but bottom was really questionable.

I've tested all three positions and the rub was on the same place relative to the carrier, guess that it's the burr carrier. I've added foil shims below the outer edge and it's close to full rub. I had higher expectations on the factory alignment.
Is foil shimming reliable for those of you who had to do it, and how frequently do you retest it?