Lagom P64 Flat (Option-O) - Page 215

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
jfjj
Supporter ♡

#2141: Post by jfjj »

It's toning down for me after 5-6kg.
- Jean

rwang

#2142: Post by rwang »

I have a P64 on the way and planning to install the omni burrs. Currently using a niche for espresso and fellow ode w/ssp for pourover. Mostly use light-medium beans.

Safe to say I can just use the P64 as my all in one dedicated grinder? P64 owners, please weigh in!

babola

#2143: Post by babola »

rwang wrote:
Safe to say I can just use the P64 as my all in one dedicated grinder? P64 owners, please weigh in!
Why not, many do.
I however use P64 as my secondary grinder as a single doser for different SO beans I like to test and play with. My primary daily reliable workhorse is SJ V Pro, my 3rd Mazzer in over 25 years ;).

ziggomatic

#2144: Post by ziggomatic »

For those interested in an update, I just heard from Option-O today the burrs are now estimated to ship late November/early December.

jfjj
Supporter ♡

#2145: Post by jfjj »

rwang wrote:I have a P64 on the way and planning to install the omni burrs. Currently using a niche for espresso and fellow ode w/ssp for pourover. Mostly use light-medium beans.

That was my exact setup. I just sold my Niche and will see if I sell my Ode. I'm currently doing both with SSP MP but I did buy the Mini burrs to give it a test run.

I haven't dialed in my shots yet but getting there.
- Jean

pitpat84

#2146: Post by pitpat84 »

Hi,

long time lurker here... if you're considering selling your lagom and you're from europe, please shoot me a pm... :oops:

cheers

Entreri

#2147: Post by Entreri »

rwang wrote:I have a P64 on the way and planning to install the omni burrs. Currently using a niche for espresso and fellow ode w/ssp for pourover. Mostly use light-medium beans.

Its what its designed and built for :)

Trickykid

#2148: Post by Trickykid »

I recently recieved my P64 (HU burrs), replacing my trusty Niche. I have run into a bit of a pickle, though, seeing I can't seem avoid some pretty nasty channeling, no matter what I do, which was a bit of a rarity on the Niche. I pull the shots on an ECM Synchronika btw.

I give the beans a quick spray of water to avoid static and I always WDT rigorously in the portafilter before tamping. I have obviously tried varying the coarseness of the grind, tried 3 different kinds of beans (from light to dark) and gone all the way from 17 to 20g, but I just can't seem to avoid some rather messy shots. I usually aim for around 35-30g out in 25-30ish seconds, which is about par with what I did on the Niche.

Mind you, the taste is good - real good actually, and from the get-go I have experienced better clarity in the cup than I have ever managed from the Niche, but the mess really bothers me, and I can't shake the feeling that I should be able to produce even better shots, if I could get rid of the channeling issue.

I know people are talking about seasoning grinders, and I doubt I have ground through more than half a kilo so far, so I was wondering if that could possibly be part of the problem?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

jrham12

#2149: Post by jrham12 replying to Trickykid »

I'm using the same setup as you and seldom have any problems with channeling... But I've had my P64 with HU burrs for approaching 2 years now so the new burrs could be contributing to the issue...
What basket are you using? (The stock ECM or a competition basket like VST or IMS?) I'm using one of the 18+ (?) baskets from Espresso Parts but was using either a 20g basket from Decent Espresso or an 18g IMS before that. Even with RDT, aggressive WDT and very careful level tamping, I would say I got more channeling from the competition baskets than the stock or Espresso parts baskets.
Do you have a flow control device installed on your Synchronika? And if so, did you install the stiffer spring to negate the "built-in" preinfusion on the E61 head? If yes, then maybe you need to be more conservative with your preinfusion rate...
If you don't have a flow control device installed, what do you have your pump pressure set to?

Hopefully these questions help and if not, the information you supply might better help others chime in to help you!
Josh

GDK

#2150: Post by GDK »

What is the grinder setting, how many clicks above the burrs touching point?