Lagom P64 Flat (Option-O) - Page 210

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Peter_SVK

#2091: Post by Peter_SVK »

"Helicopter tape is a polyurethane tape to protect a helicopter blade/front edge wing and is an extremely durable and adaptable, protects the paint highly effectively against abrasion, erosion, tearing and punctures... " see e.g. https://www.amazon.com/ISC-Racers-Tape- ... B000O65W9Y or search Amazon.com for "helicopter tape". Ca. 8 mil thickness should be fine. Vinyl one should be OK too (https://www.amazon.com/Clear-Scotchgard ... B071K6TKPT).

Rabh

#2092: Post by Rabh »

Brilliant, thanks!

astromaddie

#2093: Post by astromaddie »

statst wrote:Just got a P64 from the latest batch, and installed SSP HU burrs + did a quick alignment (stock was very good, just had to do half a rotation more of one screw). Came from the Kinu m47; happy to answer any questions via anecdotal experience...
Not sure you're still around to answer a question (or if someone else could chime in) but I've had a Kinu M47 for 3-4 years now and have a P64 on preorder, I'm really torn between the HU or MP burrs. I tend to prefer medium-roast shots with syrupy body and balanced flavour, but I've been wondering just how much difference the flat burrs of the P64 will make over my Kinu, or if I'm better off getting the MP burrs so I have something for light roasts and high clarity, since the conical burrs already make syrupy shots and the hand grinder is quite difficult for lighter roasts.

Have you felt a large improvement in your HU burred P64 over the Kinu? What kind of improvements did you notice? And do you ever drink pourover with it?

Jeff
Team HB

#2094: Post by Jeff »

Which ever coated burrs you go with, I'd run 10 kg through them.

Generally the 64 MP and Cv2 burrs sell reasonably well. The 64 HUs may as well, I just haven't followed them. If you're looking for something different, I'd consider the CV2s for a more traditional cup and the MPs for greater clarity at the expense of body. Option-O is said to be working on a cast burr, but I don't know the schedule or how it will taste.

astromaddie

#2095: Post by astromaddie »

Jeff wrote:Which ever coated burrs you go with, I'd run 10 kg through them.
Do you mean like run through 10kg of beans that I toss? Or just that I should work my way through 10kg of beans before expecting things to stabilise? Coffee is quite expensive in Japana and typically sold in 100-200g batches, I guess I could buy some bulk beans from the grocery store but even that would get pretty pricey and feel wasteful (if the former).
Jeff wrote:If you're looking for something different, I'd consider the CV2s for a more traditional cup and the MPs for greater clarity at the expense of body.
Cast sounds interesting, but I don't see any for sale locally (just older Silver Knight burrs), and while I could parallel import it, I may keep that on the backburner for some time later. I hadn't heard about cast burrs until just recently in this thread, and can't find too much information about them... I guess they're relatively new?

Jeff
Team HB

#2096: Post by Jeff »

For beans to season burrs, I can usually get them from a local roaster as test/failed roasts or out-of-date roasts. There are various opinions on dark, oily roasts vs lighter roasts. I prefer lighter roasts as they are easier to clean out and tend not to plug up the grinder. I think things will start to stabilize around 2-5 kg, but still change some through 10-20 kg. The coffee is still good at 2 kg. I just wouldn't make a decision about how you like the burr until it is well seasoned.

The 64 mm cast burrs from SSP came out mid-2022 -- SSP Lab Sweet 64mm

I haven't followed the progress of the Option-O 64 mm cast burrs due to the challenges of buying a P64 in the US (we can't order direct, only through a single distributor).

Peter_SVK

#2097: Post by Peter_SVK »

astromaddie wrote:Do you mean like run through 10kg of beans that I toss? Or just that I should work my way through 10kg of beans before expecting things to stabilise? Coffee is quite expensive in Japana and typically sold in 100-200g batches, I guess I could buy some bulk beans from the grocery store but even that would get pretty pricey and feel wasteful (if the former)...
Don't worry, start drinking coffee from the beginning and don't waste coffee, I didn't notice any significant difference (for a light roast), so if there was any, it completely disappeared over time without notice. :)

mctrials23

#2098: Post by mctrials23 »

The burrs work just fine from new, they will just wander move over the first X KG of beans. I certainly wouldn't be putting beans I paid for through it just to season and not drink.

babola

#2099: Post by babola »

Peter_SVK wrote:Don't worry, start drinking coffee from the beginning and don't waste coffee, I didn't notice any significant difference (for a light roast), so if there was any, it completely disappeared over time without notice. :)
^^ This.
Don't waste beans for burr seasoning. The diff is negligent, if any.

malling

#2100: Post by malling replying to babola »

That only count for machined burrs, cast definitely need seasoning and preferably 5-20kg