Lagom P64 Flat (Option-O) - Page 209

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
ckboon

#2081: Post by ckboon »

Is 83mm flat burrs getting popular?

Maybe Option-o should create a new 83mm flat burr grinder that looks like the P64 but comes with SSP 83mm burrs and call it P83? :)

ckboon

#2082: Post by ckboon »

I believe this is what Option-o gave us as dosing cup...

A "70ml Stainless Steel Sauce Cups" :)

At least now I know where to get one if I lost mine.
Features:
- Selected stainless steel material, safe, durable, rust-resistant, direct food contact safe, polished surface is easy to clean.
- Curled edge of the cup makes them easy to be held, good for home and commercial use.
- The deepened design of the cup can hold more sauce, convenient and practical.
- The tapered size cups are stackable for easy storage.
- Use with serving rack and plate to hold black pepper sauce, salad dressing, ketchup, peanut butter and other dipping sauces or seasonings.

Specification:
Material: stainless steel
Color:As show
Single Size: 48*43mm/57*41mm(mouth diam x height)
Single Capacity: 45ml / 70ml
Surface Finish: polishing
Use: for sauces/seasonings/Liquor

Advertisement
LindoPhotography

#2083: Post by LindoPhotography »

For burr alignment I believe if you go with the burrs too closely you can get a false good result due to increasing pressure / touchpoint on the burrs. I'd do lowest RPM and get the burrs to barely touch when trying to see the wipe pattern with whiteboard marker.

I think if you're switching between pour over or coarser brew methods then back to espresso, same issue I found on the DF64 happens with the P64, although maybe not as bad, but the P64 doesn't have the bellows to help assist / solve the problem. Basically there's some grounds stuck between the burrs somewhere that's making it seem like burrs are touching (they're hopefully not actually touching). What you can do is go a little coarser (or a lot coarser) this increases the burr gap, then switch to highest RPM and run the grinder while giving it some taps on top to clear out the particles. After that, go lowest RPM and slowly make your way finer to your espresso setting with the grinder running.

Here's a video of me badly explaining how to fix it with a DF64 :D

Baristaboys wrote:Something strange is happening with my P64 and I wonder if any of you can help me figure it out.

I got the SSP cast "lab sweet" burrs a while ago and used them during the summer. I got the idea to see if they were aligned and did the marker test (first time). I came to the conclusion that the was a notieable disalignment, only ~40% where rubbed off on the lower rotating burr. I tested mounting the burr with its 3 holes in all 3 possible positions (whatever that would accomplish). I also experimented with rotating the upper burr carrier but alignment did not improve more than ~50% rubb off.

I watched a few videos, shimmed the lower burr successfully, and got a ~90% rubb off which I was satisfied with using one or two layeds of foil.
I tested the upper burr again and there was a 50-60% rubb off. I was too tired to proceed and called it a day. I've used the grinder for 2 days now and something odd has happened 2 times:

I'm grinding for a v60 about half a complete revelation from zero. I'm trying to go finer, and the grinder shakes somewhat and I can hear the burr touching shirping sound, but not super strong. I shut down the grinder and try to tighten it further but there's a complete stop, as if the zero point has shifted half a revelation - 50 of the small steps on the scale.

I open the grinder, clean everything, make sure that both burrs are screwed in tight, and try again. This time the zero point is back to normal. This has happened another time with the zero point shifting 25 small steps, the issue persisted for a while but then disapeared after shutting the grinder on and off a few times.

What do you think is happening?

Peter_SVK

#2084: Post by Peter_SVK »

Out of curiosity, did you change the angular bearings?

Makatitu

#2085: Post by Makatitu »

Im wondering if the new method of mounting burr carrier with hex screws will alter the alignment, or it will force me to buy torque wrench to be sure that both nuts are tightened evenly..

malling

#2086: Post by malling replying to Makatitu »

I would generally always advise you to torque things evenly no matter what.

It's a bit of a let down but in these times I definitely understand the design changes.

In regards to a Option-O P83 I don't think it's very likely to happen the price would be to close to the 98mm and they would need to open another production line. Generally it seems unlikely any of these will offer more then two flats.

Kafatek and Titus have their 75mm and 98mm the other are either a Conical or dual burrs. Weber has a 80mm and work with Acaia to bring a 64mm to the market and on top has a conical.

Option O the p64, P100 and their Lagom Mini again not much space, frankly I can only see them launch a large conical like weber and Kafatek, but with 3 grinders and handgrinder it seems optimistic to say the least.

Zerno and Kopi is obviously not there yet to launch other products.

That leaves us with those that are there "Pro Barista", Molar and Wug2.

I think we can put a 83mm SD higher end to the rest for the time being because who exactly is going to make it.

Peter_SVK

#2087: Post by Peter_SVK »

Makatitu wrote:Im wondering if the new method of mounting burr carrier with hex screws will alter the alignment, or it will force me to buy torque wrench to be sure that both nuts are tightened evenly..
I tried using a bicycle torque wrench to tighten the bolts, but even the lowest setting available at approx. 3 Nm was too much so you would need a 0 - 2Nm torque wrench I think.

Advertisement
Rabh

#2088: Post by Rabh »

My order from back in April just shipped (220v, black anodised, SSP high uniformity). It should be here next week. Quite excited about finally receiving this, and am keen to have it looking as pristine as possible.

I noticed a few people mentioned putting heat shrink tubing on the forks, which seems like a good idea. Does anybody know size diameter tubing I should get?

Thanks

Peter_SVK

#2089: Post by Peter_SVK »

Rabh wrote:...
I noticed a few people mentioned putting heat shrink tubing on the forks, which seems like a good idea. Does anybody know size diameter tubing I should get?

Thanks
Another option (more elegant) is to use a U strip of 3M helicopter tape or similar, stuck into the PF holder slot and trimmed with a razor blade or scalpel.

Rabh

#2090: Post by Rabh »

Oh that's definitely a more elegant option. Great idea, I'd never heard of helicopter tape before, let me try find some.