Lagom P64 Flat (Option-O) - Page 21

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Geoffr

#201: Post by Geoffr »

I think it has the potential to be on parr with the Monoliths if execution is at the same level. It has all the elements of a really great grinder.

Once they're seasoned we will have a better idea, and I'm sure there are people out there with both who will compare them. It will certainly be interesting.

RyanP

#202: Post by RyanP »

how top heavy is the grinder? it looks like one clumsy bump is all it would take to knock it over.

Sounds like an excellent grinder, though! I hope to be able to do a sbs some day with the monolith max. If anybody in Seattle has one with ssp burrs and wants to get together for a sbs tasting, send me a msg!

yoshi005
Supporter ♡

#203: Post by yoshi005 »

The grinder is massively build and will not tumble unintendedly.

A side by side tasting would be interesting indeed. I would like to read more user reviews.

After 1kg of coffee I am quite satisfied.
LMWDP #453

max

#204: Post by max »

instantkamera wrote:I haven't had a muddy cup since that first one, at ranges from +7-14 from RP. I'm relatively certain that first pourover was set to something like +4.5, and was less "muddy" than it probably was just straight up this side of espresso.

After spending some time in the range above +10 for many kalita 155s (made in Origin dripper with more holes though), I'm doing similarly dosed v60-01s (~14g) and working the under +10 range, so I should really have a good idea what the fines situation is like by end of week. As far as I can tell though, it's way cleaner than my conicals were with any filter grind.
This is mine at 8.5 (similar for all beans I have put through). To me it looks muddy, but maybe it's within what is normal? How does it compare to yours?

discsinthesky

#205: Post by discsinthesky » replying to max »

That's definitely muddier than I would want for my pour overs, I started in the recommended range and ended up going 4-5 whole numbers coarser to get size particles in the range of how I typically brew drip.

espressoking

#206: Post by espressoking »

discsinthesky wrote:how I typically brew drip.
That's the thing ... in my experience you have to accommodate for the additional fineness benefits due to the usage of the SSP burrs vs eg the smaller conical C40 burrs
It is also stated to some extent in the manual.
So far I can only recommend to test heavily and let the taste decide ...
I had a very coarse brew today (kasuya style) which tested well ... but also had rather very fine brew with good but of course different results as well

max

#207: Post by max »

discsinthesky wrote:That's definitely muddier than I would want for my pour overs, I started in the recommended range and ended up going 4-5 whole numbers coarser to get size particles in the range of how I typically brew drip.
Happy to hear it is not only me. As I am only around ~1kg in, I will try a little patience before I contact Hayden. Maybe it adjusts with time.
Valo_Soul wrote:How does it feel in a mechanical and tactile sense, to adjust the grind size? Is it a smooth movement? Is there any distinct sensation to it?
My adjustment is feeling smoother now than when new. Soon hopefully fully smooth.

Felice

#208: Post by Felice »

Anyone inclined to post pics of your spent drip grounds?

instantkamera

#209: Post by instantkamera »

max wrote:This is mine at 8.5 (similar for all beans I have put through). To me it looks muddy, but maybe it's within what is normal? How does it compare to yours?

That's muddy. Ill post a pic of my next brew with parameters if that helps.

Edit:

What RPM are you at? I have been using higher RPM for spro, but the opposite for filter - not sure if that makes a huge diff. Also what is the Rub Point offset from locked?

max

#210: Post by max » replying to instantkamera »

Please do post pics and parameters.

I have tested from setting 2 to 8. My offset is 0.8.

My adjustment cylinder allows for slight sidewards play. Nothing visible though. Does yours too?

I think I will contact Hayden. No point sitting around wondering and worrying if there is potentially a simple explanation.