Lagom P64 Flat (Option-O) - Page 200

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
jrham12

#1991: Post by jrham12 »

level3ninja wrote:Included funnels have been magnetic since a few months ago, at least on the P100, I assume they only get one type of funnel made
Thanks for that correction! I should clarify that I have one of the earlier production run grinders that does not have the magnetic funnel!

Josh

cibby
Supporter ♡

#1992: Post by cibby »

Curious if others hear this sound... if you pick up your grinder and tilt it 90-180 degrees, back and forth, not quickly or anything, but do you hear some knocking sound coming from the inside of the base? It sounds to me like something is loose inside. I have the top plate, burrs removed and it's definitely coming from the lower half of the unit.

Escaron

#1993: Post by Escaron »

Just received my p64 with ssp multi purpose. I drink primarily medium roast coffees but wanted to experiment with some lighter roasts so figure I'll give the MP a chance before switching to HU.

Have a question for others using this set up. Are you mostly pulling turbo shots with MP burrs or can the MP do a more traditional 2:1 when using a medium roast? Or is it basically impossible to make traditional espresso that is balanced and sweet with these burrs? It would be nice if I could switch between 2:1 with a medium roast and 3:1 with a lighter roast. Curious to hear if others have had success doing this with the MP burrs on the P64 or am I better off not wasting my time and switch to HU?

Thanks!

Jeff
Team HB

#1994: Post by Jeff »

I don't think you're ever "wasting your time" to see how something works for you. Me (or anyone else) saying "yes" or "no" isn't going to be you, your coffees, and your tastes.

FWIW, which may not be a lot, I can pull 1:2 shots with light-roast coffee and 64 MP burrs. The real question though is what works for you and, most importantly, do you like the result? (I'd explore both your normal shot timing, as well as what happens if you shoot for shorter times.)

kpmd2000

#1995: Post by kpmd2000 »

Escaron wrote:Just received my p64 with ssp multi purpose. I drink primarily medium roast coffees but wanted to experiment with some lighter roasts so figure I'll give the MP a chance before switching to HU.

Have a question for others using this set up. Are you mostly pulling turbo shots with MP burrs or can the MP do a more traditional 2:1 when using a medium roast? Or is it basically impossible to make traditional espresso that is balanced and sweet with these burrs? It would be nice if I could switch between 2:1 with a medium roast and 3:1 with a lighter roast. Curious to hear if others have had success doing this with the MP burrs on the P64 or am I better off not wasting my time and switch to HU?

Thanks!

I have the MP burrs as well.I have used lighter roasted blends and SO trying to do 2:1 shots. I have found that the blends pull better than the SO in that regard. I'm usually set between 0.5 to 0.7 on the dial with my zero point at 9.5. Will try to figure out how to do turbo shots with the SO. The best part of the grinder is the ability to pull beautiful v60s with the SO for my afternoon coffee. I really love the workflow and consistency of this grinder. It's also so easy to dial in.

Escaron

#1996: Post by Escaron »

Those of you using the MP burrs for turbo shots (or traditional 2:1 espresso), are you using precision baskets (VST and the like) or the stock ones that typically come with the machine?

I've tried to make several shots with 2:1-3:1 ratios using a 15g VST (16g dose) and struggling with balance. Shots are tasting over extracted/roasty/bitter. Not sure if it's the beans or if I should try a normal basket instead?

Appreciate any advice. Thanks!

lessthanjoey

#1997: Post by lessthanjoey replying to Escaron »

Pull shorter. These burrs extract much more easily than what you're likely used to, hence a lot of people pulling 2:1 with light roasts. Try 1.5:1 on the same coffees.
★ Helpful

Jeff
Team HB

#1998: Post by Jeff »

They're also not magic. They're every bit as good at highlighting unpleasant flavors as they are enjoyable ones.

If you're tasting things you don't like in cupping or filter with those beans, you might want to explore other options, especially for espresso, where everything can get turned up to 11.

lessthanjoey

#1999: Post by lessthanjoey replying to Jeff »

100%.

Entreri

#2000: Post by Entreri »

Escaron wrote:Those of you using the MP burrs for turbo shots (or traditional 2:1 espresso), are you using precision baskets (VST and the like) or the stock ones that typically come with the machine?

I've tried to make several shots with 2:1-3:1 ratios using a 15g VST (16g dose) and struggling with balance. Shots are tasting over extracted/roasty/bitter. Not sure if it's the beans or if I should try a normal basket instead?

Appreciate any advice. Thanks!
a) pull shorter ratio
b) try coarser grind for longer ratio

64mm MP extracts very well.