Lagom P64 Flat (Option-O) - Page 200

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
ckboon

#1991: Post by ckboon »

Does the P64 need a silicone bellow similar to DF64's? Will it help to reduce the retention?
I'm still waiting for my P64 to ship :(

Something like this:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1095592744 ... ut-lid-for

Entreri

#1992: Post by Entreri »

Nope, you are good without :)

jrham12

#1993: Post by jrham12 »

ckboon wrote:Does the P64 need a silicone bellow similar to DF64's? Will it help to reduce the retention?
I'm still waiting for my P64 to ship :(

Something like this:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1095592744 ... ut-lid-for
I 3d printed a bellows of my own design when I first got my P64 and used it for a little while... But what I found was that I would hardly ever get any more out by using the bellows than just letting it finish on it's own. I haven't used the bellows for probably a year now. I do however occasionally give the top of the bean chute a couple light taps with an open palm while the grinder is still running. Not nearly as much air as the bellows provide, but it seems to be enough to release any residual grinds hanging out in the chute. (which still is next to nothing!)

calmunderpressure

#1994: Post by calmunderpressure »

I don't need a bellow, I just make a flat palm and hit several times on top of the grinder.

You can also increase the rpm to 9 and then do this procedure. The P100 has this feature.
Works fine for me..

Radio.YYZ

#1995: Post by Radio.YYZ » replying to calmunderpressure »

this is what i do, palm smacks! My retention is ranging from 0 to 0.2g based on grind size etc, but not much coffee has gone through it, about a pound.

Bellows would be a good addition to just increase the workflow efficiency but its a mix bag.
Good Coffee: Technique/Knowledge > Grinder > Beans > Water > Machine

RobbW

#1996: Post by RobbW »

Quick questions - I have a Bezzera Strega and the portafilter "ears" are angled, more at 7:30 and 1:30 on the clock instead of 3:00 and 9:00 like normal. I know Strega isn't the only portafilter to have angled ears but does anyone have any experience with the P64 and whether the rails will support such a portafilter?

Also, is everyone happily using the enclosed dosing funnel or do you recommend a particular 3rd party alternative to avoid particle spray, or to improve workflow?

Thanks!!

jrham12

#1997: Post by jrham12 » replying to RobbW »

RobbW, I can't help with the Strega portafilter question, but I will confirm that I'm using the included funnel and it works fine. I have a shorter one that flares out a bit more, but it sticks out far enough that it doesn't let the portafilter fully seat into the forks. It would be nice if the included one was magnetic like some of the aftermarket ones, but it works fine for me as-is.

I do use the RDT spritz bottle to keep the static under control though.

Josh

level3ninja

#1998: Post by level3ninja »

Included funnels have been magnetic since a few months ago, at least on the P100, I assume they only get one type of funnel made

toomuchcoffee

#1999: Post by toomuchcoffee »

I actually used to use a Wiedemann dosing funnel....until I got my P64 and swapped over to the one it came with. Works great as it has I think 5 magnets on it? As opposed to the 3 on the WM. Stays on well and is longer so you can let the grounds mount up more safely.

jrham12

#2000: Post by jrham12 »

level3ninja wrote:Included funnels have been magnetic since a few months ago, at least on the P100, I assume they only get one type of funnel made
Thanks for that correction! I should clarify that I have one of the earlier production run grinders that does not have the magnetic funnel!

Josh