Lagom P64 Flat (Option-O) - Page 195

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Lowgroove

#1941: Post by Lowgroove »

mikeTRON wrote:What size dose and basket were you using to choke the machine?

That was 18g dose in a 20g IMS basket

ckboon

#1942: Post by ckboon »

You can start with Option-O's FAQ. They have a write up on 3 different burrs:
https://www.option-o.com/faq-lagom-p64

itachi46

#1943: Post by itachi46 »

I'm considering getting one of these and possibly selling my Niche if im happy with the results. I cannot decide between the HU and MP burrs. uses will always be for espresso. unfortunately half the time I make flat whites and the other times I drink espresso shots or long blacks.

I'm leaning towards the MP as I am always seeking more "clarity" out of my Niche but I don't know if i'll miss the body/mouthfeel.

advice? Anyone made dairy based drinks with the MP burrs?

Jeff
Team HB

#1944: Post by Jeff »

At least in my experience, if you're either or both pulling comfort espresso or making milk drinks, you've lost most of the potential advantages of the 64 MPs under a mish-mash of flavors in a blend, less-than-ideal roast, or milk and gained all the disadvantages.

cypz

#1945: Post by cypz »

I'd also rather go with the HU for that milky use case... also the Niche is an amazing grinder, I sold it for the P64 MP and I don't regret it... but for 4 times the price the P64 is definitely not 4 times better than the Niche.

The MP burrs can be quite finicky, if you're on the sweet spot (which depending on the roast level can be difficult or even impossible without flow or pressure profiling) then jackpot but if not, it can very much turn into a sink shot. The niche was much more forgiving (yes much less precise) and I would assume with the HU burrs you would be somewhere between the Niche and the MP on that front

foam2

#1946: Post by foam2 »

Howard Alan Treesong wrote:Monolith MC-4 dual conical vs P64-High Uniformity Flat?

Morning all, I'm in the position of having an MC-4 on order (delivery in December), but given the interest in Monolith, also have the option of selling on my order at no loss. This has given me time to pause and consider if there are other options, the P64 being an obvious choice and I was wondering if anyone had any experience of the both? Monolith Flat's, obviously are the most direct comparison, however I have heard for medium and dark roasts, the HU flat of the P64 is a good choice and likewise similar comments have been made regarding the conical Monolith. This isn't about the money, frankly I prefer the aesthetics of the P64, or more importantly the WAF will be much higher if I went down the P64 route, so it is important to get this right and just take one more pass at the decision.

Anyone willing to provide an assessment of espresso taste, workflow between the two?

Regards
I have an MC4 coming tomorrow. Happy to report back in the next few weeks. I have one of the first P64's with HU burrs from July 2020 and it has been stellar. I purchased a set of ssp mp burrs but have not installed them. Hope to enjoy the MC4 as much.

itachi46

#1947: Post by itachi46 »

cypz wrote:I'd also rather go with the HU for that milky use case... also the Niche is an amazing grinder, I sold it for the P64 MP and I don't regret it... but for 4 times the price the P64 is definitely not 4 times better than the Niche.

The MP burrs can be quite finicky, if you're on the sweet spot (which depending on the roast level can be difficult or even impossible without flow or pressure profiling) then jackpot but if not, it can very much turn into a sink shot. The niche was much more forgiving (yes much less precise) and I would assume with the HU burrs you would be somewhere between the Niche and the MP on that front
hmm ok fair for me in australia the p64 is only 2x more expensive than niche and i can sell the niche for same amount i bought it for..

but ok maybe the mp is more annoying than i expected

Rorouni

#1948: Post by Rorouni »

Hi everyone!

For some time now I have noticed that my grind setting (bean hopper) shifts slightly when grinding. Every day I switch back and forth from filter to espresso. I notice it more at coarser range, low rpm whith ligth roasts. Less happens grinding for espresso at high rpm. After opening and cleaning nothing changes. I have also tried to change the position of the bearings, but still the same.

My P64 is mid november '21, bought with MP burrs

This is a video where you can see how it shifts grinding 30g at 60 ticks from zero
https://photos.app.goo.gl/KhJiJNmbHx34cDX57

Does this happen to any of you?
Why do you think this is happening?

Thank you in advance

fineline

#1949: Post by fineline »

My guess is that the three pillars supporting the Burr carrier (which are spring loaded and adjusted with screws) are too loose or out of balance? (or maybe they are too strong?)

If the spring is too strong, the hopper cannot be tightened. Be careful.

Rorouni

#1950: Post by Rorouni replying to fineline »

The Option-O team is helping me. It seems that as you indicate one of the springs had loosened a bit. I have tried readjusting all three by tightening just enough. At the moment it seems to work but my zero point has shifted a bit.

Do you think this could affect the alignement?