Lagom P64 Flat (Option-O) - Page 194

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
GDK

#1931: Post by GDK »

Lowgroove wrote:I
Seems strange when others have difficulty grinding fine enough.
I do not recall many complaining about the HU burrs not grinding fine enough. It takes some time to season though. At the start mine were producing grind with more fines, even visually, but later they produced what I expected - fluffy grind that hardly needed much puck prep.

LObin

#1932: Post by LObin »

Lowgroove wrote:
At some point last year, there was a batch of new P64's with HU burrs that came with such issue. If I remember correctly, the issue was on SSP side and not Option-O.
This has been resolved for a while now and no one should have problems grinding fine enough unless they still run defective HU's from that batch.
LMWDP #592

Kuhyay

#1933: Post by Kuhyay »

I'd be interested in hearing other folks experience.

I have a mid-2022 p64 with the SSP MP burrs (~2kg seasoning so far). When dialing in I find the difference between choked and gushing to be very small. Here are the typical ranges I find for light to med-light roasts. For reference, my chirp point is 3.1.

Turbo - 4.6
Allongé - 4.5
Slayer - 4.1
9-bar - 4.15
Blooming - 3.95

Often times fine tuning a shot is the difference of 0.03 on a dial, which I find difficult to reproduce. Is anyone else's range this narrow?

Entreri

#1934: Post by Entreri »

I'm usually between 1.1 (Blooming) and 2.3 (turbo) from chirp. Having used the grinder on average 3-4 times pr day since october 2021, my experience is that the burrs settled in a few months ago and felt more predictable. However, the more unimodal a burr is, the narrower sweet spot you will have when dialing in.

mikeTRON

#1935: Post by mikeTRON »

Lowgroove wrote:I received my P64 in the last few weeks. Like everyone, it was a long wait. SSP HU burrs. I tried at 10 small marks and it choked my machine (Bezzera Domus Galatea - due for replacement soon).
What size dose and basket were you using to choke the machine?

mikeTRON

#1936: Post by mikeTRON »

Kuhyay wrote:I'd be interested in hearing other folks experience.

I have a mid-2022 p64 with the SSP MP burrs (~2kg seasoning so far). When dialing in I find the difference between choked and gushing to be very small. Here are the typical ranges I find for light to med-light roasts. For reference, my chirp point is 3.1.

Turbo - 4.6
Allongé - 4.5
Slayer - 4.1
9-bar - 4.15
Blooming - 3.95

Often times fine tuning a shot is the difference of 0.03 on a dial, which I find difficult to reproduce. Is anyone else's range this narrow?
What type of shot are you pulling; typical 9 bar with 18g in and 36g out?

mikeTRON

#1937: Post by mikeTRON »

Entreri wrote: However, the more unimodal a burr is, the narrower sweet spot you will have when dialing in.
Can you elaborate on this for me? I'm currently researching a flat grinder to pair with or replace my Niche Zero.

Kuhyay

#1938: Post by Kuhyay »

mikeTRON wrote:What type of shot are you pulling; typical 9 bar with 18g in and 36g out?
Usually it's a 1:2ish 18g in 36g out. All the above shots are in an 18g Pullman basket with some filter paper and a puck screen. For some of the lighter roasts I may go down to 17g dose. The yield varies quite a bit based on shot type and roast.

Entreri

#1939: Post by Entreri »

mikeTRON wrote:Can you elaborate on this for me? I'm currently researching a flat grinder to pair with or replace my Niche Zero.
The more unimodal, the more uniformity of the grind. If you imagine a bell curve, the conical Niche will have a wider distribution of particles from fines to coarser, while for example the very unimodal SSP Brew will have less of both fines and boulders. This is what makes conicals easier to dial in, but also creates a more blended flavour profile. Flats are usually a bit more finicky to dial in before you are used to them, but will reward you with higher clarity and flavour separation when you hit the sweet spot :)

mikeTRON

#1940: Post by mikeTRON »

Ah, thanks for the elaboration. So when you say a conical with a wider bell curve with regard to grind distribution is easier to dial in you mean a traditional espresso shot like 18g in, 36g out in 20 to 40 seconds, right? How much better or worse are flat burrs for flow profiles in regards to flavor separation and dialing in? I ask as we seem to gravitate towards flow profiles for our daily cup on the Decent machine.

Also, if you don't mind, how does one pick ONE burr set to go with?