Lagom P64 Flat (Option-O) - Page 193

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
ckboon

#1921: Post by ckboon »

GDK wrote:Time to hear news about their anticipated burrs now :D
I haven't heard or seen updates regarding this. Can someone share updates from Option-O?

Marco80

#1922: Post by Marco80 »

I think they're talking about the SSP Lab Sweet burrs about which Option-O said they'll come up with their own version for the Lagom-P64. But I'm not sure ;-)

mctrials23

#1923: Post by mctrials23 »

Just had a response from Lagom about seeing some photos of the change and they said that they plan to release images of the changes when they are ready. No visible exterior changes apparently but quite how strict that is I am not sure. Good to hear from them at any rate.

malling

#1924: Post by malling »

Marco80 wrote:I think they're talking about the SSP Lab Sweet burrs about which Option-O said they'll come up with their own version for the Lagom-P64. But I'm not sure ;-)
Option-O has long planned for their own version I talked with them months ago. Apparently there is soon to be some more info.

Ad-85

#1925: Post by Ad-85 »

I'll buy the burrs if they aren't geared towards modern/clarity-forward espresso. If they're another SSP-like in results then they're not for me.
LMWDB #691
LeverHeads group on Telegram

Peter_SVK

#1926: Post by Peter_SVK »

Hopefully they are not for you :wink: - then they would be good for me. :lol:

Ad-85

#1927: Post by Ad-85 replying to Peter_SVK »

Don't be greedy :mrgreen:
LMWDB #691
LeverHeads group on Telegram

Peter_SVK

#1928: Post by Peter_SVK replying to Ad-85 »

Not greedy, just pragmatic. :mrgreen:
(I like "modern/clarity-forward espresso")

Lowgroove

#1929: Post by Lowgroove »

I received my P64 in the last few weeks. Like everyone, it was a long wait. SSP HU burrs.

Mine will be one of the last before the update.

Happy to report it is working fine and I am still running with "L" plates as I learn how to get the most from it.

With my usual beans I am grinding at around 25 small marks (or 2.5 numbers) from the chirp point for espresso. This seems a lot wider than a lot of people grind at. I tried at 10 small marks and it choked my machine (Bezzera Domus Galatea - due for replacement soon).

Seems strange when others have difficulty grinding fine enough.

I will learn more in the short term as I experiment with different beans - and in the mid term when I upgrade my espresso machine.

For now I am very happy - and over-caffeinated.

LindoPhotography

#1930: Post by LindoPhotography »

I'd think the MC4 would be best for medium and darker roasts. I have a Monolith Flat and it's a bit slow, I like using the P64 better. MC4 might be different though, not sure.
64mm SSP burrs are generally high clarity and lower body however, their latest SSP cast burrs are kinda more conical like, more body, and I believe they'd work nicely for medium or darker roasts. But I'd think MC4 should be better still (haven't used that model myself so it's speculative). It is a more expensive / harder to acquire grinder I believe.
If you can, I say Keep the MC4 for a bit and see how you like vs the P64, although I'd maybe suggest something like Multipurpose burrs for a different profile vs the MC4 (although HU espresso burrs are also similar to the MP, so that works too).

Howard Alan Treesong wrote:Monolith MC-4 dual conical vs P64-High Uniformity Flat?

Morning all, I'm in the position of having an MC-4 on order (delivery in December), but given the interest in Monolith, also have the option of selling on my order at no loss. This has given me time to pause and consider if there are other options, the P64 being an obvious choice and I was wondering if anyone had any experience of the both? Monolith Flat's, obviously are the most direct comparison, however I have heard for medium and dark roasts, the HU flat of the P64 is a good choice and likewise similar comments have been made regarding the conical Monolith. This isn't about the money, frankly I prefer the aesthetics of the P64, or more importantly the WAF will be much higher if I went down the P64 route, so it is important to get this right and just take one more pass at the decision.

Anyone willing to provide an assessment of espresso taste, workflow between the two?

Regards