Lagom P64 Flat (Option-O) - Page 20

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
njw

#191: Post by njw »

jakobankerhansen wrote:Is the motor of the Lagom powerful enough, or can it choke f.ex. on very lightly roasted beans?
i can't necessarily explain the physics of the motor or the engineering but i can say that i was able to grind very light roasts (la cabra, drop etc) on setting 2 (350 RPM) without any difficulty.

as far as alignment, i feel like it is very good. i was able to choke the robot with a few different coffees. from what i have read about the ssp red speeds, they will not grind fine enough for espresso if the alignment is not good enough.

as far as taste in the v60 range, i feel like it is similar to the apex, but just... better. great clarity and separation of flavor.

so essentially, for 3x (ish) the cost of the apex, i get an effortless grind in 20 seconds or less instead of 3-4 minutes, and a grinder that is espresso-capable as well. i'm very pleased.

discsinthesky

#192: Post by discsinthesky » replying to njw »

How many whole numbers off you're chirping point are you grinding for your v60s?

So far I'm pleased as well, I've only done one pour over and pulled a couple decaf shots, but I'm pretty excited about my results thus far.

cccpu

#193: Post by cccpu »

instantkamera wrote:That said, I have a pal with a modded BDB that I will likely visit soon to make sure the Flair isn't biasing me.
Would you mind posting their impressions when they come see?
LMWDP #583

espressoking

#194: Post by espressoking »

discsinthesky wrote:How many whole numbers off you're chirping point are you grinding for your v60s?

So far I'm pleased as well, I've only done one pour over and pulled a couple decaf shots, but I'm pretty excited about my results thus far.
I am between -7 to -11 off the rubbing point (RP). Be aware though that my (and yours probably as well) SSP burrs still need to see 5kg ... before a certain consistency can be assumed. -8 is what's in the manual and I guess that's a good starting point ... as always it depends a lot on the beans and the preferences etc. etc.
I am referring to light or lighter medium roasted beans here ...

Edit: from burr lock perspective: -8,7 to -12,7

njw

#195: Post by njw »

my sticker is at burr lock instead of burr rub. i'm about 9 to 11 numbers coarse of there so far but i've only made like 5-10 v60s and 5-10 espressos because i went out of town only 5 days after getting it. excited to get home and keep working with it though!

hayden has also said that as the ssp burrs break in and as the machined parts are bedding is as well, the distance between the burr lock and burr touch will narrow. therefore, it might be better to measure from burr lock since after 5kg it so, your burr touch might not be in the same place

instantkamera

#196: Post by instantkamera »

espressoking wrote:I am between -7 to -11 off the rubbing point (RP). Be aware though that my (and yours probably as well) SSP burrs still need to see 5kg ... before a certain consistency can be assumed. -8 is what's in the manual and I guess that's a good starting point ... as always it depends a lot on the beans and the preferences etc. etc.
I am referring to light or lighter medium roasted beans here ...

Edit: from burr lock perspective: -8,7 to -12,7
Im about the same. It's a fairly wide range because the grinder is so forgiving in terms of draw down time and, so far, my coffees so good that there's been a good range of grinds that have given me solid cups. I literally just finished the first bag and pulled one shot of a new bag so I just don't have the big picture yet. I'm not about wasting coffee to break in or any of that nonsense, it's performing well and I'm learning in the process; we'll get there when we get there.

For the record, these are pretty light roasts (first bag was Luna 'Grape Nectar' and I'm now on to some Sey Finca El Mirador Colombian).
cccpu wrote:Would you mind posting their impressions when they come see?
I will for sure, though I don't see that happening for a month or two.

max

#197: Post by max »

instantkamera wrote:Im about the same. It's a fairly wide range because the grinder is so forgiving in terms of draw down time and, so far, my coffees so good that there's been a good range of grinds that have given me solid cups. I literally just finished the first bag and pulled one shot of a new bag so I just don't have the big picture yet. I'm not about wasting coffee to break in or any of that nonsense, it's performing well and I'm learning in the process; we'll get there when we get there.
You previously mentioned muddiness. Still the same?

discsinthesky

#198: Post by discsinthesky » replying to max »

If I understood his comment, I thought his main point was that the bed looked muddy using the recommended grind setting for pour over. I experienced this too with my first pour over. On my pour over today I went a fair bit coarser and my bed look great. That said, regardless of how the bed looked, the cups tasted quite good, definitely above average for my home pour overs (which I am generally pretty pleased with to begin with). I haven't done any specific seasoning yet either, so I expect things may shift closer to the recommendations over time as things settle in.

instantkamera

#199: Post by instantkamera »

max wrote:You previously mentioned muddiness. Still the same?
I haven't had a muddy cup since that first one, at ranges from +7-14 from RP. I'm relatively certain that first pourover was set to something like +4.5, and was less "muddy" than it probably was just straight up this side of espresso.

After spending some time in the range above +10 for many kalita 155s (made in Origin dripper with more holes though), I'm doing similarly dosed v60-01s (~14g) and working the under +10 range, so I should really have a good idea what the fines situation is like by end of week. As far as I can tell though, it's way cleaner than my conicals were with any filter grind.

TenLayers
Supporter

#200: Post by TenLayers »

Well, so far, so good it appears. Nobody has anything negative to say, save the single person in Germany with the alignment issue?