Lagom P64 Flat (Option-O) - Page 190

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
malling

#1891: Post by malling »

Radio.YYZ wrote:The orbit from acaia is coming july... 1350$ usd without ssp burrs... has an app etc and i think made in conjuction with weber.

Competition and another option for people like me who are waiting for the p64!!

https://acaia.co/blogs/news/orbit-grinder-update
With the caveat that it's a first run and that you will act as guinea pig, if you don't want to be a guinea pig for the price of a Lagom the second run will probably not be before the end of the year, if this is like all the other you have to wait months before you realistically can get one as that is the lead time for this type of grinders. Also for any one else then US resident you have to wait, reality is that for most it's faster getting a P64 and it's proven and can actually be had in black, the Orbit is grey only.

LindoPhotography

#1892: Post by LindoPhotography »

I've been enjoying pulling longer (time wise) Ristretto shots with light roasts (either just 'accidentally' grinding too fine, or doing a longer pre-infusion)
Mainly like 16g in 30g out, but on my Europiccola it would sometimes give me 24g or 28g out and it still works really well. I think as long as you have a long enough extraction time / pre infusion so it's not under extracted you can get great light roast shorter ratio shots, I also noticed you get more body which is nice, even with the low body SSP burrs. I don't think it's unique to this burr set, I think I prefer it over longer ratios, where I find the coffee gets over extracted and you lose out on the fruit notes with more traditional bitter notes. On the Europiccola you get some extra drips out from the extra pressure left in the machine (no solenoid / relief valve thing) sometimes I'll taste the extra coffee that comes out at the end of the shot(s) i pulled and it basically tastes like what many would consider a typical brew coffee, bitter, over-extracted roasty 'coffee' flavour, where the good parts of the shots were nice and fruity and interesting.

The Forte has the Metal burrs correct? It's supposed to be a pretty good high clarity grinder when aligned nicely.
atao wrote:Got my p64 with MP burrs last night and pulled initial shots with it, and pulled one shot that was mind blowing berry explosion (b&w Milton Monroy) that was so far beyond anything I've had on any of my equipment. It was 16.5 in and pretty much choked the machine, got about 20 out before the LMLM stopped the shot at 55sec. But never had such crazy and sweet berry fruit floral before. Very unexpected, looking forward to a whole lot more experimentation.

Are people tending to pull light roasts longer or shorter with the MP burrs? Because I would normally have though faster and longer shots but this was a total 360.

I guess the other clear observation here is that p64 MP has really pushed away this layer of sour / bitter that I've always been chasing away that I would normally get with other grinders (niche, forte). Seems to not struggle with these lighter roasts.

Radio.YYZ

#1893: Post by Radio.YYZ »

malling wrote:With the caveat that it's a first run and that you will act as guinea pig, if you don't want to be a guinea pig for the price of a Lagom the second run will probably not be before the end of the year, if this is like all the other you have to wait months before you realistically can get one as that is the lead time for this type of grinders. Also for any one else then US resident you have to wait, reality is that for most it's faster getting a P64 and it's proven and can actually be had in black, the Orbit is grey only.
I somewhat agree that its a first run and we don't know how it will perform.
In terms of availability i have been in the queue for p64 for a long while now.
Good Coffee: Technique/Knowledge > Grinder > Beans > Water > Machine

Tooth Mousse

#1894: Post by Tooth Mousse »

I have browsed this forum for info on people with both the P64 with SSP multipurpose burrs and the cafelat robot (which I use). There have been some bad reports of flow going too fast and not being able to make espresso properly, but these seem to be from quite a while ago and with v1 multipurpose/unimodal. Does anyone have any experience with the new version? I am trying to decide on whether to order with MP now or wait for the cast LS-style burrs. Also, has anyone heard when the cast will be out? Thanks!

Entreri

#1895: Post by Entreri »

The revised MP's are great espresso burrs, and are more than capable of choking any machine if you so desire. It's more a matter of preferred style of espresso. No-one has tasted option-o's own cast, but the SSP 64mm version that came out a short while back are generally reported to have much of the 64 MP clarity but with a little more body and sweetness. I'd be surprised if the OO version is wildly different.

dandan123

#1896: Post by dandan123 »

Hi all. Thanks for the copious amounts of great info from the community. I am not sure if this needs its own thread, so mods/senior members, please split if needed.
I received my p64 about 2 weeks ago from HK. I haven't had time to use it much, but recently i noticed it had a gap between the top half and bottom half, as pictured below. Coffee is already getting into there. Is this normal? Any cause for concern? I also had scratches, 1 visible from about 5 metres away (to use their measurement definition)... *heh*...but it was inside the burr adjustment chamber. My confidence in the final QC check/build quality is a bit low...

ckboon

#1897: Post by ckboon »

Just sharing new updates I received from Option-O today regarding the P64.
Mine is a "mid May 2022 dispatch" order.
Due to the recent Covid/lockdown events in China and the knock-on effect from that, we've been experiencing some unprecedented delays in our Lagom P64 production. We previously expected we could catch up with the backlog starting in May, but unfortunately that hasn't turned out to be the case. To add salt to the wound, just a few days ago, we had to make a difficult decision by rejecting the recent batch of anodized parts due to them not meeting our expectation (some with damage as well). This unfortunately set us back quite a bit, as it will involve re-making the parts. As it stood, we weren't comfortable delivering any defective grinder made with parts that don't meet our expectations.

Update/Plan
As a strategy going forward, we've decided to bring forward the next updated design of Lagom P64 - we have been testing it in the background and were initially expecting to announce it closer to the end of the year. One of the goals for the design update is to make it more manufacturing friendly - to allow easier anodization with less rejection (main thing holding up our production schedule), as well as easier to machine. This updated design will allow us to increase production throughput without compromising on the machining precision. The decision to implement the updated design ASAP was made as another rejection with the previous design is still a possibility - we certainly do not want any further delay.

In the updated design, there'll be some changes introduced, but it will still retain almost all the original design elements of Lagom P64. There will be no change to the external/aesthetic, an aspect which some of our customers are very fond of. The update includes:
  • Safety lock for limiting adjustment range (optional/removable) to limit dial and reduce the chance of damaging the burrs/grinder by accident.
  • Change to the current toolless disassembly design - cleaning will still be a quick and easy process, but it will now require a standard Allen key instead. It will come with a magnetically attached shroud to cover any screw holes. Part of what we hoped to achieve with this for the precision to be maintained more easily after removal.
  • Another change is the introduction of a calibratable number dial (a new mechanism as distinct from our Lagom P100) to allow for the dial to be calibrated to your burrs' zero.
Despite the update, ultimately the Lagom P64 is still the same as before - delivering what we set out to deliver - low retention, easy to use, quiet, and high-precision.

Timeline
In terms of timeline, since this is a remake of a new batch, it will take about 4-8 weeks (similar timeline if we go with the original design too, plus the risk of another rejection). We've also engaged another major supplier we've worked with before to make an extra batch - as a back-up plan to further de-risk future delays. We're estimating we can start dispatching near the end of July - we've made sure the assembly process is not the bottleneck as we have now built a robust process and a team which we can trust. So as long as we receive the parts that meet our specification, the grinders can be delivered as expected.

Ullke

#1898: Post by Ullke »

I must say I'm dissapointed the new design is no longer tool-less for cleaning. That was a really compelling feature and was part of why I decided to go for the P64. I still can't find a much better option out there so I will not cancel my order but the delay and also change in design is not good news imo.

The Bone Ranger

#1899: Post by The Bone Ranger »

I believe the "late March" delivery shipped recently. I'm in the "early April" batch, twice delayed, and haven't had the above email yet. I wonder what I'll end up with?

Or, more importantly, when?

The Bone Ranger

#1900: Post by The Bone Ranger »

Scrap that, there's the email...