Lagom P64 Flat (Option-O) - Page 19

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
valoben

#181: Post by valoben »

After reaching out to Hayden with a few questions concerning alignment, burr lock etc... he wrote a detailed answer and kindly allowed me to post his email here.
The first batch of the Lagom was sent with the red sticker indicator placed incorrectly at the burr lock position instead of the burr rub. We had already notified all potentially affected customers. Those who are not contacted are not affected by this. The subsequent Lagom deliveries all have the sticker indicator placed correctly at close/above the burr rub point.

As for the distance between burr rub and burr lock point, our release criteria is < 2 full number. This is because the SSP brew burrs have an unusual teeth pattern - ie the two burrs don't exactly have two flat ridges at the contacting tooth area like in most burrs. So finding the accurate burr lock point may be tricky and require multiple repeated measurements. We are in the process to video this to provide further clarification. Other than that, it is also dependent on how hard the user goes when tightening the funnel, so there is some inherent variation among operators. Lastly, it may not be obvious to some users, the grinder has to be in a clean state otherwise the coffee particles/residues can easily throw off the numbers.

Basically, with our current QC test, we ensured that each grinder is able to choke the machine completely with a 12g dose in 18g dose (no drops after 30s). If it fails the choke test, it will not be delivered to customers. We don't expect the customers to have to align the grinder in order to use it.

At the moment, we have just invested in a Decent Espresso Machine, with the hope to investigate extreme use cases like Sonus'. We developed the Lagom originally with a Linea Mini, as we thought it was considered one of the industry standards. But we are aware there is a recent trend going towards pressure profiling, and especially ones with extended preinfusion that requires much finer grind - almost Turkish fineness. The SSP brew burrs are a unique burr that generates very little fines compared to other grinders. The burr almost behaves like the earlier version of EK43 which in our experience often have difficulty grinding even for non-profile espresso. For the Lagom/SSP Brew Burrs combination, we found it does extremely well for light roasts without profiling. So we did not originally anticipate the use of extended preinfusion with this burr set.

We don't know what will come out of our investigation yet - we've just ordered the Decent. But if it proves that our current QC standards can't provide fine-enough resolution for extended profiling, we will offer a solution for our early supporters who needs to perform pressure profile with extended preinfusion. But one thing we can guarantee, no one will be left hanging, most especially our early supporters whom we are really thankful for.
LMWDP #669

TenLayers
Supporter ♡

#182: Post by TenLayers »

What a great response and why I really like supporting the small focused companies when I can.

Advertisement
SunSurfH2o

#183: Post by SunSurfH2o »

instantkamera wrote:The logs and static ceased with a couple spritz from the bottle. I stopped doing RDT with my handgrinders at one point, and will likely be able to once the Lagom is broken in, but for now it helps immensely.
I'm the meantime, I'm kicking it back to my college days with this variation on RDT :lol:
Andrew
★ Helpful

MarkD70

#184: Post by MarkD70 »

Has anyone had a chance to compare Lagom with Monolith Max? I would be really curious to see if the burr size and difference in design play a role.

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#185: Post by baristainzmking replying to MarkD70 »

I think a better, more fair comparison would be the a Monolith Flat and not a Max.
Julia

chibitimwin

#186: Post by chibitimwin »

How does this compare as a brew grinder vs. say Baratza Forte BG?

instantkamera

#187: Post by instantkamera replying to chibitimwin »

There's just not enough data out there to say definitively, but the experience I have with the Lagom, handgrinders, Vario BGs, and the odd Forte brew (not made by me personally) is that it's just in another league and a lot of that comes down to the design focus of Option O and the burr choice opened up by using a larger, more industry std burr size.

If you follow the Alicorn method and have good luck, the Forte BG a great brew option. That said, no amount of alignment will make the burrs SSP redspeeds, will make them 10mm larger, will make the adjustment mechanism as precise and repeatable, will give you RPM control, or will make the body as single dose friendly.

I must say that I considered a Forte strongly, but at the price new here in Canada (1400 bucks with tax) it was just too much of the way toward the Lagom to be worth it, esp for my workflow (which, admittedly, involves switching both brew and 'spro). I also considered used, but a good enough deal never came up at the right time. Ultimately, I am very happy I waited.

Advertisement
instantkamera

#188: Post by instantkamera »

valoben wrote:After reaching out to Hayden with a few questions concerning alignment, burr lock etc... he wrote a detailed answer and kindly allowed me to post his email here.
A response that exactly matches my own (extensive) experience with Hayden. Since before pre-order (when he actually honestly shared their pricing goals and likely saved me from my own assumptions and possibly spending my cash on something else), through congratulating me on being the first pre-order (even though I had used a different contact email), and MANY nit-picky questions since, he has been probably the best experience I've had in customer service in years (Flair being up there as well - man, coffee folk really know how to take care of their own, eh?).

a specific note about this
This is because the SSP brew burrs have an unusual teeth pattern - ie the two burrs don't exactly have two flat ridges at the contacting tooth area like in most burrs. So finding the accurate burr lock point may be tricky and require multiple repeated measurements.
This is exactly what I've noted, and my copy being ~1.2 is, I think, pretty good. If the information regarding these burrs is true, struggles with pressure profiled espresso should be a dead give-away for alignment woes, and I don't think I have them. That said, I have a pal with a modded BDB that I will likely visit soon to make sure the Flair isn't biasing me.

jakobankerhansen

#189: Post by jakobankerhansen »

Can anyone explain how the motor of the Lagom compares with the motor of other grinders, ie. the type of motor, that is in the Eureka Atom Pro ?

For the Lagom P64 they state, that it has a 300w brushless DC motor, which is supposed to produce more output torque compared to an equivalently-rated AC motor. I guess that this (torque) is also specially important, if the grinding speed (rpm) is low, which is also adjustable on the Lagom P64.

Comparatively Eureka states that is has a 920w motor, but provides no more detail...

So, is the motor in the Eureka Atom Pro three times as powerful as the motor in the Lagom P64, or are we just looking into less useful energy consumption...?

Is the motor of the Lagom powerful enough, or can it choke f.ex. on very lightly roasted beans?

Geoffr

#190: Post by Geoffr »

Torque (turning power) would potentially be more important for a grinder having to overcome the resistance of the beans, than turning speed.

The Minoliths also gave brushless motors, though I don't know ratings off the top of my head.