Lagom P64 Flat (Option-O) - Page 178

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
YeetSkeeterson

#1771: Post by YeetSkeeterson »

This is correct but more often than not I rate my settings in relativity, as in even though there are numbers available, they're not necessary or particularly convenient. If the Comandante somehow implemented numbers, my setting would still be clarified in "clicks".

It's different with the Lagom. If the zero point was at zero, and I measured my desired setting to be at 30 marks on P64, I could very quickly turn the dial to 3, rather than having to do even the simplest of maths to account for the offset. My setting for espresso is under a single full number's worth of marks from zero. That means it's 0.XX in offset. If it was actually represented by 0.xx that'd be cool.

It's just a zen factor, it's irrelevant how easy it may or may not be. Muscle memory, ambiguity, non-uniformity, there's a number of things this affects as the user. It would be mildly remedied by ensuring the zero point was on a main number, since as you said, zero is arbitrary. But having the zero point at zero is completely worth any struggle to me.

The metal on metal of the fork was gripe #1 for me, I suppose this is gripe #2.

coldcoffee

#1772: Post by coldcoffee »

Has anyone noticed this very slight clicking sound with their P64? It's very apparent at the lowest speed and is not a grind setting issue. I keep hearing click/click after every burr rotation

max

#1773: Post by max replying to coldcoffee »

Does it change with grind setting? If so it could be what happened to me when two beans got stuck in the screw holes, one in each burr. Every rotation the two beans struck each other, even if the burrs didn't touch

Eiern

#1774: Post by Eiern »

I had a clicking noise coming from the edge of the anti clumping part, that might be protruding a little bit out or recess a little from the rest of the grinding chamber. Then the wipers with coffee stuck to them knocks against that edge. At least I thought this was the case and made sure to mount that plate as flush as I could on both it's sides.

coldcoffee

#1775: Post by coldcoffee »

So I removed the burrs and cleaned everything, turned the grinder on and even without the burrs the sound is still there. It is a very faint click but it's still irritating for whatever reason. At a coarse grind and low speed, do you guys get any clicking at all?

SteveRhinehart

#1776: Post by SteveRhinehart »

I recently had an issue with my power switch on my P64, and Option-O kindly sent me a replacement along with a set of sealed bearings. If anyone is interested I livestreamed the replacement process and the replay is up on my Youtube channel here:
It seems I have some slight troubleshooting left that I'll need to address, and will report back in the description.

smite

#1777: Post by smite »

Steve, great very informative video. It highlights the elegance of the design. Keep us updated on the rattle. If flipping the bearings or tightening the lock nut doesn't resolve. I wonder if the issue goes away with the original bearings.

coldcoffee

#1778: Post by coldcoffee »

Thanks @SteveRhinehart! Please post an update if you manage to eliminate the noise/rattle

GDK

#1779: Post by GDK »

Just got my new black P64 and I am waiting for it to warm up before I power it as it is still quite cold to the touch.

First three impressions:
* super solid feel, and beautiful
* surprisingly, my two 53mm portafilters can be seated securely, despite the ~2mm gap on either side - great!
* I can see how this metal on metal contact between portafilter/dosing cup and the fork can cause chips or scratches

So, I have a fairly thin clear Gorilla tape that I am planning to apply to the internal fork side, as well as other places of contact. That tape is darn strong, so I am a bit concerned if there will be any chemical reaction between the glue and oxidation which can lead to discoloration or make the oxidation come off, any thoughts?

Thanks!

jrham12

#1780: Post by jrham12 replying to GDK »

I doubt it; anodized aluminum is pretty tough... I took a different approach on my black P64; I used some black heat shrink tubing on each of the 4 "arms"... Just found a size that fit fairly snugly but would still go on all the way and trimmed 4 pieces to fit, leaving about 1/4" of each "arm" exposed beyond the heat shrink tubing. I took the portafilter holder off the grinder and then used a heat gun to shrink it in place. It has held up for almost a year now with no issues. Plus it will be easy to replace if needed with no sticky residue...

Josh