Lagom P64 Flat (Option-O) - Page 175

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
ActionMike

#1741: Post by ActionMike »

Sure! Let me know what cafune replied.

Peter_SVK

#1742: Post by Peter_SVK »

Newfie wrote:... My grinds are mostly coming out on the right side and causing a bit of a distribution problem. I checked the declumper and it seems clear so I'm not sure what else could be the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions on what else I can check? ...
I don't think that's called a problem, but centrifugal force + output chute path :) . Simply take a stirrer and stirr the gring while grinding. I do so too. :wink:

Newfie

#1743: Post by Newfie » replying to Peter_SVK »

Fair enough but it's definitely an annoyance for me. I'd rather stick the funnel on and let it sit there, which seems to be the intended design. Can't really do that when it all piles so high on one side and makes a mess.

heytchap

#1744: Post by heytchap »

What RPM are you using?

mikelipino

#1745: Post by mikelipino »

YeetSkeeterson wrote:Anyone have a 3D print insert so I can fit the Robot's PF into the holder?
I whipped this up. Designed for the DF64 and the Robot (since that's what I have), but the fork dimensions should be the same as they both hold portafilters. Let me know if you print one up and if it fits! It would be easy enough to edit the design if dimensions need to be changed and I could post two versions on Thingiverse.

ActionMike

#1746: Post by ActionMike »

Peter_SVK wrote:I don't think that's called a problem, but centrifugal force + output chute path :) . Simply take a stirrer and stirr the gring while grinding. I do so too. :wink:
Agreed, but centrifugal force can't be the only reason, because with the new declumper screen the problem is less pronounced. The workaround (stirring) helps though.

BaristaBob

#1747: Post by BaristaBob »

DCoffee wrote:Thanks for the responses guys. I really appreciate it.

Yeah, in regards to the grinds. I'm just trying to get the lay of the land is all. Without hearing officially that it's a thing and expected, my mind goes in the direction of...Hmmm...lol...Without such legit knowledge, for all I know this thing was sent out and used by multiple customers, returned, re-shipped, etc...Sure you know what I mean...I've dealt with that sort of thing with other products.

As for the wear of the fork, that possible "concern" entered my mind as well before I even read this thread. Just looking at the product I had assumed the same potential problem. I don't have a lot of data to go on, but it sounds like in reality it may or may not be an issue. That said, I may attempt to put some clear film as has been suggested. I see some 3M stuff on Amazon for a reasonable cost that should do the trick. If anyone has any tips for putting it on clean I'm all ears ;-0. Seems like it could be a bit tricky.

My P64 arrives today apparently. The Canadian distributor seems pretty fast in getting these units out to the customer.

Cheers
I understand your concern over receiving a "used" unit but years ago my Rancilio Rocky had grounds in it (with a letter in the box stating that the grinder had been tested in QC and found acceptable). Then when I received my KafaTek Monolith grinder...same thing. I've come to expect this from a high end grinder manufacturer.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

Peter_SVK

#1748: Post by Peter_SVK »

ActionMike wrote:Agreed, but centrifugal force can't be the only reason, because with the new declumper screen the problem is less pronounced. The workaround (stirring) helps though.
Yes, the design of the declumper has the influence, obviously (I have the original one with two kidney-shaped holes). And the shape of the inner chute as well, some sort of the deflector in grinding path would help too, but would increase the retention, so the design is a compromise (how good, it depends on the designer :) ).

YeetSkeeterson

#1749: Post by YeetSkeeterson »

I have a monster granite stone burr mill that rotates at 1,250 RPM and can hold pounds of wheat and the wheat simply falls out of the right side as well. Centrifugal force, and on this mill there are two small metal "prongs" that rotate with the burr to sweep the grinds out of the chute.

Low RPM it's not too present on Lagom. Higher RPM it's noticeable but never been an issue with my high walled Robot basket. I do actually feel it could be an issue for those with traditional basket.

TallDan

#1750: Post by TallDan »

ActionMike wrote:Agreed, but centrifugal force...
...doesn't exist! :D