Lagom P64 Flat (Option-O) - Page 174

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
statst

#1731: Post by statst »

Why be concerned about the the fork wear (likely just cosmetic) if you can buy a replacement one in a couple years for like 50$? The machine itself is a lot more so I would imagine if you're purchasing it, you wouldn't be too worried about a 50$ cost. Adding the tape onto it also makes it look cheap imo, maybe buy it and enjoy it without feeling the need to fear for every single scratch?

DCoffee

#1732: Post by DCoffee »

YeetSkeeterson wrote:Anyone have a 3D print insert so I can fit the Robot's PF into the holder?

As for the wear of the fork, I was concerned, I am OCD, legitimately diagnosed. I've gotten over it mostly by reducing my fear of death. I don't think we actually care about such irrelevant things like the wear of a portafilter fork, but the inevitability of death and that we can't take these things with us no matter how pristine we try to keep them.

Just my 2 cents. As Paul says on the actual Robot page about scratches, let it go, don't worry. It's just a tool to make coffee...

Worst case when it gets bad enough to you, reach out to Lagom to purchase a replacement. Once the first scratch is there it's over though. You won't care. You'll toss your PF into that sucker like it owes you money.
Once you have kids and/or animals, any need for perfection naturally goes out the window. I have both ;-0

To each their own. It's best effort for me on these types of things. It's really not a lot of effort to prevent a likely outcome that will occur over time on a very expensive piece of equipment. Like you, I have more important things in my life than marks on a grinder, but when I see a situation that I can avoid with a small investment of my time then I usually put the effort forward. This is not driven by OCD tendencies. At least not for me.

I actually had another goal behind wanting to protect the forks. James Hoffman's review of this grinder showed that, at least in some cases, a portafilter can vibrate right off the forks and fall when it is in operation. Not sure how many of you folks on here experience that? My thinking was that a rubber type protection solution could also aid in preventing this sort of issue, lead to less slippage, etc...

YeetSkeeterson

#1733: Post by YeetSkeeterson »

It's by far my least favorite part of the grinder even though I don't even use the fork since I have a Robot.

DCoffee

#1734: Post by DCoffee »

I've also watched videos where owners are able to be hands free on the portafilter and have it not fall off. Lot's of variables obviously...Fit, weight of the portafilter, etc

Newfie

#1735: Post by Newfie »

ActionMike wrote:Yes. I have a P64 shipped in May 2021with unimodal burrs. I cannot grind directly into my portafilter, because the coffee piles up on the right side. I would need to pause the grinder and redistribute the grinds, otherwise the coffee rises above the funnel and makes a mess on my counter. Thus, I need to grind into the tumbler and pour it from there into the portafilter.

I considered this lopsided distribution has something to do with statics, or burrs breaking in, but the problem persists with or without RDT and after more than 5 kilograms. I sent Option O an email and Hayden asked me to check whether the declumping screen was still intact. Unfortunately (or luckily?), my screen was still intact and skipping RDT did not help. Hayden offered to check with his engineer, but I haven't heared from them for two weeks.

What did you try to fix the lopsided distribution? Any recommendations? I still hope Haydens engineer comes up with an idea.
-Michael
Hi all,

Just received my new grinder today from Cafune with the HU SSP burrs. The grind quality seems great so far but I'm experiencing an issue mentioned ~20 pages ago and I didn't see any sort of resolution, so I'm thinking not everyone is experiencing this.

My grinds are mostly coming out on the right side and causing a bit of a distribution problem. I checked the declumper and it seems clear so I'm not sure what else could be the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions on what else I can check?

Thanks!

cypz

#1736: Post by cypz »

James Hoffman's review of this grinder showed that, at least in some cases, a portafilter can vibrate right off the forks and fall when it is in operation. Not sure how many of you folks on here experience that?
LM portafilter's handle are angled so it already happened to me too... not so often but I have taken the habit of holding it in place now. I have the silver version of the grinder so scratches aren't a thing, hence I didn't put any type of protection on the PF fork

heytchap

#1737: Post by heytchap »

I rest my portafilter handle on my tamper while the grinder is being used which keeps it locked in place and hands-free.

DCoffee

#1738: Post by DCoffee »

Newfie wrote:Hi all,

Just received my new grinder today from Cafune with the HU SSP burrs. The grind quality seems great so far but I'm experiencing an issue mentioned ~20 pages ago and I didn't see any sort of resolution, so I'm thinking not everyone is experiencing this.

My grinds are mostly coming out on the right side and causing a bit of a distribution problem. I checked the declumper and it seems clear so I'm not sure what else could be the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions on what else I can check?

Thanks!
Did you ask Cafune? In my dealings with them they seem pretty helpful.

You must have ordered just before me. I saw a silver there with the high uniformity SSPs just before I ordered, and then it was gone ;-0

I'm being told that the SSP burrs are coming on the side, and that there is a cheaper set of burrs already in the unit. I assume yours came the same? If so, it would be interesting to see it behaves the same with the original cheaper burrs put back in?

I hadn't come across this issue in my research. I will watch this with interest...

My grinder is set to arrive here today any time now.

ActionMike

#1739: Post by ActionMike »

Newfie wrote:Hi all,

Thanks!
Interesting to hear that you have the same problem with the HU burrs. Hayden sent me a newer more solid version of the declumper screen which helped a little. The first screen was super thin and Hayden told me they would try to bend it carefully. However, I read in a German coffee forum from one user that his thin screen got between the burrs and completely ruined the motor, thus I was afraid of bending it.
However, the new more solid screen produces less fluffy grinds so I ended up using the old thin screen and the WDT tool to redistribute while grinding. Works for me very well, because I use WDT anyway.
How does your screen look like? Is it the one I posted?

Newfie

#1740: Post by Newfie »

I got the black one! They e-mailed me since I was on the waitlist and have been really great to deal with so far.

I sent them with a different question a few hours ago, so I was waiting for their reply on that before asking about the distribution of grinds. I will update this though once asked and answered.

I read this entire thread before purchasing so I knew what to look out for. So many people seemed to comment on how great the grinder is without mentioning the problem, so I figured it was more of a rare occurrence and just hoped it wouldn't happen to me haha.

Another interesting thing to note is, I seem to have the declumper that is just two holes. Not sure if they went back to that design after the small bit of bad feedback about the other shape (post #1398 in this thread).

Edit: Hey ActionMike, glad to see you're still checking this thread and that you got a reply from Hayden after! I think I already answered your question that you asked while I was typing this up.