Lagom P64 Flat (Option-O) - Page 173

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
DCoffee

#1721: Post by DCoffee »

Appreciate the quick thoughts. I had to move reasonably fast. There were 2 on cafune.ca with the burrs I was after. Silver and a Black. The Silver sold today, so I just snagged the remaining Black one a couple minutes ago.

Given that these things do not sit around very long I assume it is newer stock that I will be receiving. There's still a black one there with the unimodal burrs in case anyone is interested.

Cheers

heytchap

#1722: Post by heytchap »

ak_brian wrote:I went looking to buy an Lagom 64 and saw that Prima is their sole distributor, and that they slapped a big price increase on it. It's too bad, I guess I'll have to consider my options. It's now expensive enough to say "well, maybe I'll just save the difference for an EG1" or something. Not that I would personally, but maybe? The price now is enough to consider going for something more expensive or just drop the idea of a higher end flat burr entirely ><
The price is back where it was before.

ak_brian

#1723: Post by ak_brian replying to heytchap »

Hey thanks for the heads up!

DCoffee

#1724: Post by DCoffee »

Hello again,

A few more questions for you P64 owners out there...

1) I caught mention, about a thousand pages back, concerning potential for portafilter fork wear? ;-0 Is it pretty bad over time without some form of reasonable protection on there? Curious if a lot of owners are experiencing those issues.

2) I saw mention in this thread about using helicopter tape for protection on the fork. I searched for potential readily available 3D printed options out there for protection, either a product or plans, and I can't seem to find any. You guys aware of anything like that out there for dealing with this apparent fork wear issue on these P64 units?

3) Is it really common for these P64 units to show up with evidence of coffee grinds having gone through them? Is this really a thing? Did a lot of you guys have that experience? It just strikes me odd on a device this expensive. Caught references out there here and there that it might be tied to testing performed by the manufacturer? Is this a known and established expectation? Does this make sense?

Thanks very much

TenLayers
Supporter ♡

#1725: Post by TenLayers »

I can answer number one. I have had the grinder since second offering so it's the group of the first units. Have used it every single day with a portafilter as the catching device for the grinds. Zero evidence of wear with the most mild of scuffing from where the rim of the portafilter hits the back of the fork.
In my case your number one is a total non-issue. Maybe others have had a different wear pattern but I have not.

QuareCrack

#1726: Post by QuareCrack »

DCoffee wrote:Hello again,

A few more questions for you P64 owners out there...

1) I caught mention, about a thousand pages back, concerning potential for portafilter fork wear? ;-0 Is it pretty bad over time without some form of reasonable protection on there? Curious if a lot of owners are experiencing those issues.

2) I saw mention in this thread about using helicopter tape for protection on the fork. I searched for potential readily available 3D printed options out there for protection, either a product or plans, and I can't seem to find any. You guys aware of anything like that out there for dealing with this apparent fork wear issue on these P64 units?

3) Is it really common for these P64 units to show up with evidence of coffee grinds having gone through them? Is this really a thing? Did a lot of you guys have that experience? It just strikes me odd on a device this expensive. Caught references out there here and there that it might be tied to testing performed by the manufacturer? Is this a known and established expectation? Does this make sense?

Thanks very much
I received my P64 last week so I cannot comment on question 1 or 2 but for 3, yes there was some retained coffee grinds. I don't mind this, in fact it gives me confidence that the grinder has been tested and was deemed acceptable to be passed on to me, the customer.

Peter_SVK

#1727: Post by Peter_SVK »

DCoffee wrote:...
2) I saw mention in this thread about using helicopter tape for protection on the fork. I searched for potential readily available 3D printed options out there for protection, either a product or plans, and I can't seem to find any. You guys aware of anything like that out there for dealing with this apparent fork wear issue on these P64 units?...
That's me (maybe also somebody else), I put the tape preventively because of black anodising, so absolutely no wear. :D

mmntip

#1728: Post by mmntip »

DCoffee wrote: 3) Is it really common for these P64 units to show up with evidence of coffee grinds having gone through them? Is this really a thing? Did a lot of you guys have that experience? It just strikes me odd on a device this expensive. Caught references out there here and there that it might be tied to testing performed by the manufacturer? Is this a known and established expectation? Does this make sense?
I would be more worried if they DIDN'T test it out before shipping it out.

DCoffee

#1729: Post by DCoffee »

Thanks for the responses guys. I really appreciate it.

Yeah, in regards to the grinds. I'm just trying to get the lay of the land is all. Without hearing officially that it's a thing and expected, my mind goes in the direction of...Hmmm...lol...Without such legit knowledge, for all I know this thing was sent out and used by multiple customers, returned, re-shipped, etc...Sure you know what I mean...I've dealt with that sort of thing with other products.

As for the wear of the fork, that possible "concern" entered my mind as well before I even read this thread. Just looking at the product I had assumed the same potential problem. I don't have a lot of data to go on, but it sounds like in reality it may or may not be an issue. That said, I may attempt to put some clear film as has been suggested. I see some 3M stuff on Amazon for a reasonable cost that should do the trick. If anyone has any tips for putting it on clean I'm all ears ;-0. Seems like it could be a bit tricky.

My P64 arrives today apparently. The Canadian distributor seems pretty fast in getting these units out to the customer.

Cheers

YeetSkeeterson

#1730: Post by YeetSkeeterson »

Anyone have a 3D print insert so I can fit the Robot's PF into the holder?

As for the wear of the fork, I was concerned, I am OCD, legitimately diagnosed. I've gotten over it mostly by reducing my fear of death. I don't think we actually care about such irrelevant things like the wear of a portafilter fork, but the inevitability of death and that we can't take these things with us no matter how pristine we try to keep them.

Just my 2 cents. As Paul says on the actual Robot page about scratches, let it go, don't worry. It's just a tool to make coffee...

Worst case when it gets bad enough to you, reach out to Lagom to purchase a replacement. Once the first scratch is there it's over though. You won't care. You'll toss your PF into that sucker like it owes you money.