Lagom P64 Flat (Option-O) - Page 157

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
SeattleCoffeeNerd

#1561: Post by SeattleCoffeeNerd »

Feca wrote:That's too bad. I would have jumped on this at the original price. At $2175 I can't justify it for a 64mm flat. This is for my personal, subjective value for the $, I'm sure it still checks many other folks boxes even at the higher price.
Yeah same... At $2175, the Monolith Titan Flat doesn't cost that much more

ebstmnt

#1562: Post by ebstmnt »

i just got the email too but $2175. No thanks, I will skip this grinder. A Kafatek Monolith Conical is better at that price point with much much higher tolerances, made in the USA, and all the testing they do before shipping it to you.

Rice Bowl

#1563: Post by Rice Bowl »

Right, P64 without SSP burrs now the same price as an MC4 pre-shipping, and within $500 of the P100. Seems like a pretty ridiculous price increase. Wonder what will happen when/if Prima no longer has exclusive rights to sell the P64

mralecthomas

#1564: Post by mralecthomas »

It would be one thing if the price listed on Option-O's website increased as well, but it hasn't and kind of feels like Prima is just gouging. Prima could have also done a better job by giving a breakdown of why the price increased as much as it did instead of being vague.

ShotClock
Supporter ♡

#1565: Post by ShotClock »

An interesting price increase, pretty much rules it out for me. Too close to the monoliths, p100 and lab sweet.

On the other hand, this is probably good business for prima. Maybe supply and demand will finally meet at this price, and there will be a high end single dosing grinder that people can just buy, rather than messing with pre-orders etc. I'll be interested to see how long it remains in stock...

SeattleCoffeeNerd

#1566: Post by SeattleCoffeeNerd »

I asked Prima about the price increases. They originally claimed it was because Option-O increased the price. When I noted that Option-O hasn't increased the price and asked for a break down the 50% markup, they backtracked and said:

"The price increase is simply because our costs have increased. We pay air-freight plus import/duty fees, which adds a substantial amount to the cost of the grinder."

But yeah. Probably good business for Prima. They have exclusive rights for North America, so they're in no rush to sell out immediately. Hopefully Option-O finds a distributor that's more transparent with their pricing

ebstmnt

#1567: Post by ebstmnt »

I emailed Option-O to see if I can order directly from them due to Prima Coffee's greedy markup. They said they were not even aware of such a big markup. It would be nice if Option-O allowed us to order directly from them instead at their price.

mbeck

#1568: Post by mbeck »

ebstmnt wrote:They said they were not even aware of such a big markup.
Well THAT'S interesting. I wonder if they have any influence over the pricing, or what the terms/length of their deal with Prima are. (FWIW, I'm feeling even happier about my decision to jump on Kafatek preorder a few months back.)

Ypuh

#1569: Post by Ypuh »

Considering the dollar is already 'strong' compared to the euro this year, there already was a price increase for European customers of about €120-130, or $150. That already pushes the price/value of this grinder for me. A plain $500 slap-on would be a clear no-no.

Don't take advice from me. My principles have led me to missing out before and might even have financially hurt me (i.e. housing market), however there are more/better alternatives available for a Lagom P64.
I don't want a Decent

malling

#1570: Post by malling replying to Ypuh »

There is 3% inflation in Australia, 2% in China and what 7% in USA, drastically increased shipping costs, chip shortages that has made especially older chips in short supply and made them more expensive due to demand, so there is allot of good reason why such products see a noticeable increase.

But yeah it's more expensive through Prima then if I where to get it. Not surprisingly as that's the effect of one more who needs to earn money on the product rather then buying directly, but does mean repair and guarantee service, something us europeans won't really have.