Lagom P64 Flat (Option-O) - Page 152

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
nyzt_98

#1511: Post by nyzt_98 »

Cast burrs would likely need shimming though - I would be curious if they still think alignment from machining tolerances would be perfect for these on P64

cjhacker23

#1512: Post by cjhacker23 »

Oooh these look exciting! I wonder if they'll fit my DF64? If so, I'll definitely try them.

iploya

#1513: Post by iploya »

I don't understand why cast burrs would be more desirable than machined burrs. Most articles can be manufactured more precisely by machining, and precision seems like an important aspect of good burrs. Maybe there is something else to these other than that they are cast?

level3ninja

#1514: Post by level3ninja »

They definitely don't look cast. They look like they've been machined in a similar way to the Mahlkoenig EK cast burrs, which have a cult following. Cast inspired burrs would likely be more accurate.

EDIT: on closer inspection I am wrong

mmntip

#1515: Post by mmntip »

They're cast, then machined for the burr edges. If you look at the center ring you still see the less accurate casting finish.

I suspect these to be closer to conicals, looking at the lab sweet burrs as a reference? Anyone here with experience with this type of burr who can chip in on this?

malling

#1516: Post by malling »

iploya wrote:I don't understand why cast burrs would be more desirable than machined burrs. Most articles can be manufactured more precisely by machining, and precision seems like an important aspect of good burrs. Maybe there is something else to these other than that they are cast?
Machined burrs are often way too clinical in its profile for brewed, allot of light just lack character and can be quite clean, thin and fragile, work perfect for spro though.

Cast on the other hand keep allot of those abilities of producing clean brews but still have good sweetness, flavour separation and an overall balance. In other words these are not as one dimensional as machined can be, I tried allot of burrs and never experienced a machined burr that got close to the performance of cast.

I suspect it would need shimming as these typically are not that precise, but depends on the precision of machining afterwords.

I will definitely get these burrs, when these are available.

iploya

#1517: Post by iploya »

That is fascinating to me, and completely counterintuitive. Thanks for the explanation.

malling

#1518: Post by malling replying to iploya »

I think it has to do with at least that SSP is so much more unimodal , I sieved it many times and never seen other burrs get anything near to the same unimodal grind in the finer drip range and I never experienced other burrs deliver such an extreme clean brew either, I'm sure some like that clinical taste, I just personally think it is a bit too much especially the once I had on my EK where rather extreme I even blind cupped it.

The EK burrs and Ditting burrs I tested also showed to have a high degree of unimodal grind, or well certainly more then any Conical or more traditional espresso flat burrs I tested, but just not nearly to the same degree as the one above, and I think this less unimodal grind in the drip range in comparison and perhaps how every particle is cut/crushed means you get other things in the cup then this clean clinical taste. Some of the sweetest results and great flavour separation I ever tried have come from EK43 original Coffee burrs and the Lab Sweet burrs.

timothyp

#1519: Post by timothyp »

Option O announce these a week after I source a cheap Ditting and spent $700AUD+ on LS/Peak burrs :roll:

I haven't tried them for filter but love the LS burrs for espresso. Will be interesting to see if they scale well down to the 64mm sizing.

Entreri

#1520: Post by Entreri »

malling wrote:I think it has to do with at least that SSP is so much more unimodal , I sieved it many times and never seen other burrs get anything near to the same unimodal grind in the finer drip range and I never experienced other burrs deliver such an extreme clean brew either, I'm sure some like that clinical taste, I just personally think it is a bit too much especially the once I had on my EK where rather extreme I even blind cupped it.

The EK burrs and Ditting burrs I tested also showed to have a high degree of unimodal grind, or well certainly more then any Conical or more traditional espresso flat burrs I tested, but just not nearly to the same degree as the one above, and I think this less unimodal grind in the drip range in comparison and perhaps how every particle is cut/crushed means you get other things in the cup then this clean clinical taste. Some of the sweetest results and great flavour separation I ever tried have come from EK43 original Coffee burrs and the Lab Sweet burrs.
So you expect these burrs to sit somewhere between the SSP HU and SSP MP-burrs with respect to grind distribution? Sounds quite interesting..