Lagom P64 Flat (Option-O) - Page 151

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
LObin

#1501: Post by LObin »

.fess wrote:- Only espresso drinks
- We only drink Americano and milk drinks; no straight espresso consumption
- Roast preference: medium mostly, rarely light/medium, rarely medium/dark
I agree with the comments of Entreri and cypz.
You would likely be very happy with a Niche Zero. The 63mm Kony burrs are very forgiving and produce a nice espresso with a good balance of flavors, sweetness and mouthfeel.

If you go with a Lagom P64, the High Uniformity burrs seem like a good fit. Side by side, you might perceived extra sweetness and clarity vs the NZ with slightly less mouthfeel. Check J. Hoffman's showdown finale for his impression and scores on the NZ vs P64 (test done with HU burrs even though he mixes them up in the review). Mind you, the coffee he's using seems to be roasted pretty light which doesn't necessarily favor the NZ burr set when compared to the other more "unimodal" grinders.

The Eureka Oro is intriguing. Construction is going to be very similar to the Mignon XL which is well perceived. Same burr set. Nothing wrong with that although I would've preferred if Eureka made the burr carrier so it would accommodate SSP burrs. What we don't know yet is total retention, workflow, adjustment and the other variables like grind exchange, dose consistency, popcorning, noise level, etc.
The big advantages over the other two would be price (even cheaper than the NZ in Canada) and availability. First reviews should be out soon hopefully.

So yeah, I believe all three grinders (may) check all your boxes... Sorry I couldn't be of better help ;)

Cheers!
LMWDP #592

.fess

#1502: Post by .fess »

Wow, very good responses. Thank you everyone!

BPlus: turning your coffee spirit
Sponsored by BPlus
Lowgroove

#1503: Post by Lowgroove »

LObin wrote:The big advantages over the other two would be price (even cheaper than the NZ in Canada) and availability.
Depending on where you live the price comparisons vary significantly. This is due to the limited availability of the NZ and the direct marketing of the P64.

For example in Australia it is very hard, if not impossible to get the NZ and if you can it is about 80% of the price of the P64 through the direct purchase arrangement.

The Eureka is likely to be about 60% of the P64 price here.

Makes the P64 more attractive for me.

buckersss

#1504: Post by buckersss » replying to Lowgroove »

p64 is a slam dunk if you live down under mate. its $1500 australian dollars + tax/vat, correct?
after taxes and vat its $2375 australian dollars in canada.

to me, it seems exceptional - but it does seem overpriced here in canada, which gives me pause. situation seems slightly better, but more or less the same when evaluating it from a USA vs australia standpoint.

level3ninja

#1505: Post by level3ninja »

buckersss wrote:p64 is a slam dunk if you live down under mate. its $1500 australian dollars + tax/vat, correct?
after taxes and vat its $2375 australian dollars in canada.
With the standard burrs its US$1475 plus shipping, plus 10% GST on import if customs happen to catch it (50/50). Shipping is around US$50 from memory. So without GST we're looking at around AU$2050, with GST around AU$2255.

buckersss

#1506: Post by buckersss » replying to level3ninja »

are the prices on their website in USD even if they dont sell to us customers? i expected their prices to be in aud. they say they ship from melbourne.

edit: ya i just saw prices are in usd on their website.

level3ninja

#1507: Post by level3ninja »

From just below the order button:
"Please Note: Price quoted is in US Dollar."

From the bottom of the page:
"Australia: For our Australian customers, unfortunately Paypal payment is currently not available. You can check out directly using our webshop (the charge is in USD as stated but most banks do allow international transaction and the charges usually come out to be more competitive than with Paypal). If USD payment is not possible, bank transfer can be an option too - please email us for more details."

Espresso Forge: brew truly incredible espresso at home
Sponsored by Espresso Forge
malling

#1508: Post by malling »

Intriguing with the new cast burrs... might be a bit of a ground breaker for 64mm burrs and might reduce any gain for larger burrs.

Eiern

#1509: Post by Eiern »

Yes, new 64mm Ditting Lab Sweet/MK E80 Supreme inspired burrs due early 2022 8) Very curious to how they perform, I've been very interested in Lab Sweet style burr but not interested in yet another huge commercial box in my kitxhen.

Entreri

#1510: Post by Entreri »

I'm not familiar with those; what kind of results/profile would one expect from these new burrs potentially?