Lagom P64 Flat (Option-O) - Page 150

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Cortado125

#1491: Post by Cortado125 »

I recently received my P64 a week ago and I wanted to chime in with my experience as I have read most of this thread and had some hesitation before ordering. So far, I have to say I am VERY happy with it!

I know a lot of people go for this model so they can have the different burr sets and specifically use lighter roasts but that isn't really my thing. I wanted to replace my Sette 270 because while it does produce good grinds, the build quality just isn't good enough and I have been through 3 in almost 4-5 years. I really like medium to darker roasts and I wanted a grinder that would be built to last and had an efficient workflow for single dosing.

I really like the size of the grinder and it actually feels like it takes up less space than the Sette. The build quality was exactly what was hoping for too - It is heavy enough it will stay put and it isn't a hassle to move around. It is also just a beautiful piece of equipment! The workflow is one of my favourite parts of the grinder, with pre-dosed tubes ready to go, it makes the whole experience so much more pleasant.

I was hoping it would be quiet and I was still surprised by just how quiet it is, even while grinding, and the noise it makes isn't harsh-sounding. If you put your hand over the opening while it is grinding it is even quieter, so I might have to make a wooden lid as a cover in time.

As far as grind results go I have the stock standard stainless steel burrs and I am at a setting about 1 notch in from a full number away from 0. I feel like I have plenty of room to grind finer if I need to and only small adjustments are required. I am really only interested in grinding for Espresso with medium to darker roasts and I am completely happy with the grinds it is producing. I do give the beans a single spray and they have always come out light and fluffy but my wife said she used it a couple of times without a spray and it was still fine for her.

So I have nothing to contribute to the whole discussion about the SSP burrs and those issues - but as far as I am concerned it is an excellently built grinder that does everything I was hoping for and I hope to see it last for many years to come.

heytchap

#1492: Post by heytchap »

The silence from the grinder is easily my favorite part of it. I really love my P64.

iploya

#1493: Post by iploya »

I'm just catching up on this thread. I wanted a Monolith and a custom burr set but not sure I have the patience for the lotto approach to acquiring a gadget. Right now the Weber Key (conical) and P64 are somewhat obtainable (EDIT: when I posted this, I did not realize there was a waiting list of 1000 people via the sole US distributor), but I already have a conical in the Niche, so maybe P64 makes sense. If I got an Option-O, I'd probably go for the Unimodal burrs since I already have the High Uniformity ones and could potentially swap between.

.fess

#1494: Post by .fess »

This might have been answered before, but i am debating between Niche Zero, Eureka Oro Single Dose and Lagom P64. I currently have Baratza Sette 270Wi. Budget is somewhat of a concern, but I'm willing to spend more if that means I'm getting the best grinder that will last me 10+ years.

Things important to me: grind quality, build quality, consistency, no/low retention, ease of maintenance
Things NOT important to me: burr size, grinding speed, grinding sound/volume, looks

LObin

#1495: Post by LObin replying to .fess »

Espresso, pour overs or both?
Milk drinks or straight?
Ristretto, espresso or allongées?
Roast preferences? (Probably light/medium giving your favorite roasters in your signature)
LMWDP #592

iploya

#1496: Post by iploya »

EDIT: Nevermind. I finally decided to order this and then realized the issue of not being able to ship to USA. I guess I will strike this grinder off my list as well.

Entreri

#1497: Post by Entreri »

I think they have an exclusive distribution deal with Prima Coffee in the US?

Edit: Yes

https://www.option-o.com/news/2020/7/31 ... coffee-usa

.fess

#1498: Post by .fess »

LObin wrote:Espresso, pour overs or both?
Milk drinks or straight?
Ristretto, espresso or allongées?
Roast preferences? (Probably light/medium giving your favorite roasters in your signature)
- Only espresso drinks
- We only drink Americano and milk drinks; no straight espresso consumption
- Roast preference: medium mostly, rarely light/medium, rarely medium/dark

Entreri

#1499: Post by Entreri »

.fess wrote:This might have been answered before, but i am debating between Niche Zero, Eureka Oro Single Dose and Lagom P64. I currently have Baratza Sette 270Wi. Budget is somewhat of a concern, but I'm willing to spend more if that means I'm getting the best grinder that will last me 10+ years.

Things important to me: grind quality, build quality, consistency, no/low retention, ease of maintenance
Things NOT important to me: burr size, grinding speed, grinding sound/volume, looks
I honestly do not think you will be dissapointed with a Niche, but the P64 will for sure come out on top with respect to grind quality, build quality and consitency. It will most probably also be the best option when it comes to extraction and clarity of flavour, although the conical burrs on the Niche might provide a bit more body. Sounds to me like a P64 with HU burrs would be the way to go for you if you feel like treating yourself a little bit extra.

cypz

#1500: Post by cypz »

.fess wrote:This might have been answered before, but i am debating between Niche Zero, Eureka Oro Single Dose and Lagom P64. I currently have Baratza Sette 270Wi. Budget is somewhat of a concern, but I'm willing to spend more if that means I'm getting the best grinder that will last me 10+ years.

Last year I upgraded my NZ for a P64 Unimodal so I think I can answer this one. Both are great grinders and honestly the NZ is also built like a tank. It doesn't make sense to compare conical and flat burrs but basically if you don't drink straight espresso from light roasts and depending where you live the NZ will probably be a better bang for the buck. Yes, the P64 is better in terms of grind quality, but the price gap is pretty big.

In terms of extractions yield, I topped at about 22% with the NZ before tasting over-extraction. With the lagom it's more like 26-27%.

When it comes to consistency I would rate the NZ even better than the P64, but that's partially because of my Unimodal burrs (those are quite finicky let's face it). Although I would expect in general more consistency with conical burrs, that's the good thing of being "less precise", the margin of error is bigger.