Lagom P64 Flat (Option-O) - Page 149

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Ypuh

#1481: Post by Ypuh »

He seems both annoying as well as 'right', like many (if not all) engineers in this world. That makes it a bit of tricky to judge, but as someone who works with engineers you have to listen to what they're trying to say through the act of cockyness (separate the person from the findings). In that case I see a grinder that allows coffeegrinds to float through the cracks into a bearing and the engine room.

A sealed bearing will solve a lot, as well as not using a bellows to push grinds into places they shouldn't be. However it won't resolve problems, just delay them. It might take years, but I want to know if the grinder is still serviceable in 5 and 15 years. I don't mind replacing a stock bearing every now and then (I even enjoy a 'simple task' like that), but don't want to depend on special tools to do so.

Same as you guys state with the bean spilling example, I have similar issues with a company putting Chinese unsealed bearings in a $1.500 premium device.
I don't want a Decent

Entreri

#1482: Post by Entreri »

Flying-Cheetah wrote:I installed SSP Unimodal/MP burrs in my P64 and they are more than capable to deliver excellent espresso, especially for light, medium-light, and medium roasts. For anything else, I would use my Niche Zero... but even for those beans the difference is not dramatic.
I have been pairing an Eureka Mignon Specialita with my Bianca so far, and even though I do play around with grind and flow profiling a little, I do usually dial in new coffee beans to somewhere around 1:2.5 in around 30 sek.

I understand that this isn't necessarily the case with MP burrs, and that they do run a bit faster? How does your "normal" profile look like?

jrham12

#1483: Post by jrham12 »

Ypuh wrote:Anyone else faced problems with cheap bearings in the Lagom P64?

Someone on Reddit took it apart and posted a few videos. I hate cheap bearings, especially on expensive equipment like these and am searching for reasons not to buy the Lagom.

It seems to be related to a first batch using unsealed bearing in combination with using a bellows. They did replace it for sealed bearings, but why would anyone safe $10 on cheaper bearings and does this mean there's still some room for those nasty grinds to creep through?
Looks like he removed his original post and also took down the pictures and videos...

Ypuh

#1484: Post by Ypuh replying to jrham12 »

That's weird. Anyone here threatened him ;)?

Anyhow, I'm looking for reasons not to buy this. After searching all the internet, contacting a few owners, this unsealed bearing which seems limited to the first batch was the only thing I could find to fault this machine. I think I'm almost there and ready to order.

Might wait a few more months on the next batch to buy it as a graduation gift for myself (went back to studying this year), allowing me some time to also wait for the Weber Key comparison or choose between a black or silver P64. Which color do you think would look best?

The XL needs to make place then (no point in keeping a hopper fed grinder if 'fresh beans' is one of the main purposes of buying the Lagom).
I don't want a Decent

Flying-Cheetah

#1485: Post by Flying-Cheetah »

Entreri wrote:I have been pairing an Eureka Mignon Specialita with my Bianca so far, and even though I do play around with grind and flow profiling a little, I do usually dial in new coffee beans to somewhere around 1:2.5 in around 30 sek.

I understand that this isn't necessarily the case with MP burrs, and that they do run a bit faster? How does your "normal" profile look like?
I'm not sure I understand your question correctly. But I can perfectly pull a 1:2.5 ratio in around 30 sec with the P64, especially for any medium-light, medium, and medium dark coffee. Paradoxically, the new SSP MP burrs are designed to produce some fines, so they work much better for espresso than the original brew burrs (which can still be purchased with a P64 if that's the buyer's preference).

Put in a different way, I can achieve similar ratios and pulling times with my P64 and my NZ. What's different is the flavor and the mouth feel.

Entreri

#1486: Post by Entreri »

Thank you for clarifying what I was wondering about, even without quite understanding my clumsy question :)

cypz

#1487: Post by cypz »

Just to add on top of that :
Flying-Cheetah wrote:... I can perfectly pull a 1:2.5 ratio in around 30 sec with the P64, especially for any medium-light, medium, and medium dark coffee. Paradoxically, the new SSP MP burrs are designed to produce some fines, so they work much better for espresso than the original brew burrs (which can still be purchased with a P64 if that's the buyer's preference).
You can indeed brew say 20g-50g in 30s. But on my P64 Unimodal (now rebranded Unimodal Espresso as opposed to the original Unimodal Brew) I find almost all coffees (from ultra light to medium, I don't drink darker than that, for those the SSP HU burrs are a better choice) better when extracted in 22-23s (yes, it's weird but that's it) and I've reduce the pump pressure of my GS3 AV to ~6bars.

My explanation would be : indeed the Unimodal Espresso produce slightly more fine than the Unimodal brew because those are necessary to maintain puck integrity. However there are also the first particles to over extract. This grinder/burrs setup is already an extraction monster and 30s is just too much as I found out. I'm talking extractions in the 25% - 29% range that are easily reachable. The question is if these taste over-extracted or not.

Jonk

#1488: Post by Jonk »

cypz wrote:(from ultra light to medium, I don't drink darker than that, for those the SSP MP burrs are a better choice)
I believe you meant to write SSP HU?

My experience with the SSP unimodal brew (or v1 as they're now labeled by Option-O) is similar. I find them very easy to dial in, because slightly too fine will quickly taste overextracted. Slightly too coarse and it's underwhelming. More an on-off experience than other burrs I have used, that tend to have a much more gradual change.

I'm using a lever and longer shot times, but I shy away from both ristretto and 'turbo' extremes.

cypz

#1489: Post by cypz »

That's right I meant HU, I edited the post.

Indeed with the lever one can extend shot time by reducing (average) pressure or more precisely adjusting it down the road.

I second the on/off experience even with the Unimodal espresso (new Unimodal), even though theoretically it should be slightly better than with the Unimodal v1 burrs. Finding the sweet spot it's quite finicky and won't be even possible with certain beans (at least without pressure profiling like in my case)

boshk

#1490: Post by boshk »

P64 unboxing video with ssp burrs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IDGQP_Uh6g