Lagom P64 Flat (Option-O) - Page 148

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
YeetSkeeterson

#1471: Post by YeetSkeeterson »

That is what I would do. I will basically never use anything but Comandante for non-espresso drinks. I just love it. Although 30-40g for pourover is too much. I'm the only one that drinks my coffee usually so I don't make pourover anymore to reduce waste. Our use cases are slightly different, but if I were to get an electric grinder, it would be heavily geared towards being an espresso only grinder.

Rorouni

#1472: Post by Rorouni »

Hi! I have ordered the P64 with MP burrs too. I am in a similar situation to yours since my espresso and pour over consumption is also similar.
What ratios are you brewing espresso? I think that if you move in ratios around 1:2.5 or above, MP burrs are the right choice.
I hope that these burrs will make me to fully enjoy beans from roasters like La Cabra, Gardelli or Nomad both espresso and pour over.

Greetings!

Jonk

#1473: Post by Jonk »

Entreri wrote:Alright guys, I have ordered the P64 with the new SSP MP burrs. I live in Scandinavia, so most of my speciality coffee is probably considered fairly light. I am currently drinking espresso:pour-over in a 2:1 ratio, sometimes 3:1.
I think you'll find the SSP MP or "brew/unimodal" excellent for your use case, with no need for HU or a C40. Of course it's sometimes nice to have a different burr or grinder to mix things up if you're not finding the flavor you're looking for.. but I'd wager it'll be the pour overs that could be an issue sometimes, not the espresso.

Flying-Cheetah

#1474: Post by Flying-Cheetah »

I installed SSP Unimodal/MP burrs in my P64 and they are more than capable to deliver excellent espresso, especially for light, medium-light, and medium roasts. For anything else, I would use my Niche Zero... but even for those beans the difference is not dramatic.

heytchap

#1475: Post by heytchap »

What RPM settings are people using for espresso, pours, etc?

Gimel

#1476: Post by Gimel »

YeetSkeeterson wrote:That is what I would do. I will basically never use anything but Comandante for non-espresso drinks. I just love it. Although 30-40g for pourover is too much. I'm the only one that drinks my coffee usually so I don't make pourover anymore to reduce waste. Our use cases are slightly different, but if I were to get an electric grinder, it would be heavily geared towards being an espresso only grinder.
Just a comment on this: I love my C40. But the P64 with MP burrs is just (so much) better for pour-over. Much more clarity. I also got the HU and the original brew burrs, but I have not tried either.
I am not a big espresso drinker, but when I do, I like the MP burrs as well (but I really have no good reference).

YeetSkeeterson

#1477: Post by YeetSkeeterson »

That is interesting, I have yet to try flat burrs, that's why I don't own a Niche. It's great but I'm not interested. Whenever I can get a P64 I think I will. Kafatek if I have the funds available when they release a batch!

Ypuh

#1478: Post by Ypuh »

Anyone else faced problems with cheap bearings in the Lagom P64?

Someone on Reddit took it apart and posted a few videos. I hate cheap bearings, especially on expensive equipment like these and am searching for reasons not to buy the Lagom.

It seems to be related to a first batch using unsealed bearing in combination with using a bellows. They did replace it for sealed bearings, but why would anyone safe $10 on cheaper bearings and does this mean there's still some room for those nasty grinds to creep through?
I don't want a Decent

timothyp

#1479: Post by timothyp »

I agree the use of unsealed bearings in a grinder is somewhat worrying, particularly as I vacuum mine out to clean the chamber. That being said I'm yet to experience any bearing issues with my unit that was sent in the second batch after announcement.

The user complains about their grind alignment however in a video bashes the top on a carrier spring tension style set up with the motor running..
If beans are spilling when you pour them either change the speed at which your pouring or the angle. I have never lost a bean while feeding the grinder.

While the user has a fair point regarding the unsealed bearings it really makes it hard to take them seriously after watching the video. :?

robeambro

#1480: Post by robeambro »

I mean it seems like it's a very well known guy in the space, and I wouldn't expect anything serious from that person. He's clearly poured beans like that on purpose.