Lagom P64 Flat (Option-O) - Page 146

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Eiern

#1451: Post by Eiern »

With burrs that has flat parts finishing section this will happen. Coffee caked on the flat parts rubbing against each other. This did not happen with original Unimodal/Brew as they did not have flat spots, but the new Multi Purpose have small flat spots, and of course High Uniformity and basic burrs has too. Also EK 43 burrs and 98mm High and Low Uniformity burrs. My 98mm Ultra Low Fines burrs has very small flat spots so does this to a less degree.

choroidalfusion

#1452: Post by choroidalfusion »

Thanks Eiern, that's helpful insight. Reassuring that this sound is normal for the MP burrs.

Still getting to know the grinder. Still comparing to my comandante. I'm getting great in-the-cup results. Though I do note that, at similar grind sizes (approximate equivalence as best as I can tell) that my resulting brew bed (Moccamaster, Kalita) just seems a little muddier with my Lagom then my comandante. Assuming from more fines? But could be that I'm starting with a smaller grind size on the Lagom. I'd usually associate a muddy bed with over extraction, but the extraction seems balanced. Again, only about a kilo or so has gone through the Lagom. So maybe just needs more time. All this is probably some over analysis on my end...but when you've paid almost 2K for an appliance, some over analysis is inevitable I think.

And I will say that my "begin to chirp" point and my "hard stop" point are only about one small notch away from each other. So if that's any rough indication of alignment, then the thing would appear to be well aligned.

Jonk

#1453: Post by Jonk »

choroidalfusion wrote:I'd usually associate a muddy bed with over extraction, but the extraction seems balanced.
I believe muddiness is not a good indicator of flavor, just an oversimplification in an effort to communicate grind size. Grind quality will have some influence of course, but so will fineness and even the way water is poured.

VoidedTea

#1454: Post by VoidedTea »

It has been a couple of weeks with my P64. I started with standard burrs the grinder came with and about a week later swapped to SSP HU burrs. Surprisingly, I noted that I prefer the taste profile of the standard burrs over the SSP HU. The latter reminded me of my previous conical burr grinder, while standard burrs produced a more smooth and clear taste, less body and sharpness but more flavour. To make an analogy with music sound, standard burrs made accent on "mids" (floral flavours),while SSP burrs accentuate "highs" (sweetness) and "lows" (bitterness and body) of the spectrum. My wife noticed the same thing.

Anybody else experienced similar results? I was expecting SSP burrs to outperform the no-name burrs in taste profile. Should I give SSP burrs more time to season before judging the output? Does seasoning overall lead to a more mellow taste? Appreciate any feedback.

level3ninja

#1455: Post by level3ninja »

Are you using lighter or darker roasted coffee?

mdreuben
Supporter ❤

#1456: Post by mdreuben »

Mostly medium, thus the desire for a conical.

coffeemerchant

#1457: Post by coffeemerchant »

What's a suggested starting range for V60/pourovers from zero point?

Just got my P64 with brew burrs delivered and keen to get brewing!
60 percent of the time, it works every time.

SteveRhinehart

#1458: Post by SteveRhinehart »

I start my pour over grinding about one turn of the dial from touch point, and adjust according to brewer, recipe, and coffee.

YeetSkeeterson

#1459: Post by YeetSkeeterson »

What would happen if I ordered a United States-bound P64 directly from their website instead of upcharged from Prima?

TenLayers
Supporter ♡

#1460: Post by TenLayers »

It states on their website from here on out, US peoples need to order from Prima.