Lagom P64 Flat (Option-O) - Page 142

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
fruitfly
Supporter ♡

#1411: Post by fruitfly »

Jackie, I went through the same thing you did, but ordered one anyway because the Canadian distributor had an estimated delivery date (which turned out to be accurate), and because if there were issues I could go through them.. The competition costs more, and is hard to very hard to get. I like the size, form-factor, ease of changing burrs if my tastes change, and design with easy to access burrs. Mine is supposed to arrive next week, so I can't offer any concrete comments, so I am just explaining why I ordered one.

Parenthetically, my experience from other technically oriented forums is that those who write to forums tend to be those who worry or are unhappy, which leaves a new reader (like me to coffee forums) with the impression that things are worse than they actually are. End of day, the p64 is in high demand and has high resale value, so if I have buyers remorse, I will sell it on for little loss.

Moeram

#1412: Post by Moeram »

I just got my lagom yesterday
It was meant to be dispatched mid august but got it early
When I ordered I said that I'm only interested in pour over and not espresso so Sam told me he can change my burr set to the original unimodal "brew burrs" which I agreed to
I've made around 8 brews so far and man it's different
I'm coming from a WILFA uniform with upgraded SSP burrs and it's night and day, every cup was much better than what I was brewing on the WILFA, I used red borboun Colombian beans, anaerobic Ethiopian beans, Panama geisha beans and sugar cane Colombian decaf beans, and every one was delicious.
I used kalita and v60 to brew them, the complexity acidity and sweetness were far more pronounced than the WILFA , I used Scott rao recipe for the kalita and the v60 an tried tatsu one pour recipe for v60 as well, comparing the ground visually between the WILFA and the lagom you'd think the lagom are too fine but the brew times are way shorter than the WILFA meaning WAY less fines than before, the one pour took less than 55 seconds it used to take around 2:35 on the WILFA, which means I can go finer for higher extraction, most importantly for me the bitterness and astringency were
Completely gone even on really stale darker roasted Costa Rica beans I've tried
The build quality is amazing , and it's incredibly silent and fast when you grind
So I do recommend it for pour over for sure

Flair Espresso: handcrafted espresso. cafe-quality shots, anytime, anywhere
Sponsored by Flair Espresso
Jimjam168
Supporter ♡

#1413: Post by Jimjam168 »

Update: As I mentioned earlier, my Lagom (ordered Jan, delivered May from Prima), delivered extremely frustrating results with horrible channeling and bad flash blonding- All shots were very imbalanced and it wound up being impossible to refine and experiment to get something reflective of the effort put into the process. After some back and forth and some videos of my prep and shot, Prima decided my grinder likely came with the problematic SSP burrs and sent me out a replacement set of burrs.

After a couple of days with the new burrs, it does seem to have fixed the major issue I was having- My shots are much better defined and I seem to have the control back to mess with various inputs and outputs. I'm continuing to experiment, but I am thus far extremely relieved that my high end grinder is at last seeming able to deliver results that are worthy of the significant grinder upgrade.

As an aside- working with the HU burrs, my V60's have been INCREDIBLE. Even with the bad burr set, my pour overs were a wild improvement in every respect over my Encore with M2 burrs.
James

VoidedTea

#1414: Post by VoidedTea »

fruitfly wrote: I went through the same thing you did, but ordered one anyway because the Canadian distributor had an estimated delivery date (which turned out to be accurate), and because if there were issues I could go through them.. The competition costs more, and is hard to very hard to get. I like the size, form-factor, ease of changing burrs if my tastes change, and design with easy to access burrs. Mine is supposed to arrive next week, so I can't offer any concrete comments, so I am just explaining why I ordered one.

Parenthetically, my experience from other technically oriented forums is that those who write to forums tend to be those who worry or are unhappy, which leaves a new reader (like me to coffee forums) with the impression that things are worse than they actually are. End of day, the p64 is in high demand and has high resale value, so if I have buyers remorse, I will sell it on for little loss.
Yes, after some hesitation I decided not to delay my order and placed it last week from a Canadian distributor as well. Expecting delivery sometime this week. According to the distributor the issue was most likely attributed to some quality issues with SSP burrs and Option-O now ships P64 with their standard burrs pre-installed (no extra charge) with SSP burrs that I paid for included in the package. Not sure if it's good or bad but will see. I will run it with standard burrs first but probably need to switch to SSP burrs sooner than later to be able to return/exchange them if needed. On a plus side, so far we have only seen a couple of reports with this issue, so chances are the majority of customers are not affected.

VoidedTea

#1415: Post by VoidedTea »

Well, my unit arrived yesterday and, unfortunately, I will start working on return with the distributor first thing Monday morning. Like other affected units, I was not able to grind fine enough even at the point of touching. I checked the touching point like on the video from Option-O website and noticed that the touching sound was not nearly the same as in the video. Mine was more of a knocking sound as opposed to a high pitched sound in the video. And by the way, this is all with standard burrs installed (SSP HU came in the package separately and I didn't install them). So decided to take a look at what might be causing the knocking sound and removed the top housing. What I found is shown on the pictures below. Apparently one of the legs of the bottom housing comes in touch with the upper housing causing noticeable scuff marks on both parts, the burrs seems to be not even touching at this point, which is why I am not able to grind fine enough. So to me, this is anything but "just right" when it comes to operation of the grinder out of the box. There are way too many reasons why the housing could be misaligned, and I didn't pay a premium price to become an expert in grinder mechanics. So I have to send it back.

And one more thing - take a look at the burrs, looks like someone was grinding nails with them. Are they supposed to be that rough with deep dings and chips? I put the top burr on the glass and was able to see with a naked eye gaps between the glass and the grinding surface. Quite disappointing I would say. Almost feels like a knockout.

One positive note at the end - even with a not perfect pull I managed to get at the touching point, the boost in flavour in the cup was quite noticeable comparing to my Breville. So definitely will be looking for an upgrade. Would be willing to give Lagom another shot because I really like the design and a single dose operation, but only if the issue with housing misalignment is fully resolved.

Eiern

#1416: Post by Eiern »

Sorry to hear about that, I would be bummed myself.

Expect the stock burrs to have way more imperfections than SSP. There is a price difference for a reason.

fruitfly
Supporter ♡

#1417: Post by fruitfly »

Voided tea, I am sorry to hear of you experience and hope that you get it resolved quickly. It is odd when the grinder comes with some coffee in it, ostensibly because each grinder is tested before shipping, that you got one that made a knocking sound immediately. Not a good look for the QC claims.

Mine arrived yesterday, and has stock burrs installed, plus SSP multipurpose burrs. For me, the chirp sounded as expected, and I get the required fineness at 1.0 large division above the chirping point with the stock burrs. I will try several coffees so that my wife and I can get a reference for the stock burrs, and then switch to the SSP and compare.

I started out using low RPM (4 on dial), but will increase RPM tomorrow with hope of getting some more fine and more body. I am pleased with the design, but will probably switch to using the cup instead of dosing into the portafilter because there seems to be a gap between the funnel and the portafilter where grounds can escape. Probably need to spritz before grinding too.

CafelatStore: home of Cafelat products online
Sponsored by CafelatStore
VoidedTea

#1418: Post by VoidedTea »

fruitfly wrote:Voided tea, I am sorry to hear of you experience and hope that you get it resolved quickly. It is odd when the grinder comes with some coffee in it, ostensibly because each grinder is tested before shipping, that you got one that made a knocking sound immediately. Not a good look for the QC claims.

Mine arrived yesterday, and has stock burrs installed, plus SSP multipurpose burrs. For me, the chirp sounded as expected, and I get the required fineness at 1.0 large division above the chirping point with the stock burrs. I will try several coffees so that my wife and I can get a reference for the stock burrs, and then switch to the SSP and compare.
Yes, it is strange that the company reassures us that they test every unit and yet they give it a pass even when the touching noise sounds nothing like normal. Instead of being concerned about knocking noise, they just slap the zero point sticker at that mark and let it go as usual. Very frustrating. Now I have to ship it back across Canada and it is a very heavy box, might cost me quite a bit.

I am glad your grinder works as expected. I don't really know what to do next. Take another chance and wait in line again for another unit hoping it will be fine this time? Or wait until we hear some confirmation from the company that the issue was identified and resolved? Last we heard they blamed the issue on SSP burrs, but in my case it is clearly the build issue. My guess would be that the entire motor assembly was shifted just slightly somehow, because the knocking noise could be replicated periodically even when the top burrs were removed (not as loud but still noticeable). To me it sounds like the motor itself was slightly off center causing lower fork mounted on its shaft gently hitting the wall, especially when I was changing RPMs.

Anyhow, will see what my dealer (which is probably the same as yours) will recommend. Having seen the look of the grinder in my kitchen only made me want it even more. I hate the design of Specialita, even the new single dosing one, and every other grinder at lower or even the same price as Lagom looks like an appliance from the 90th. And to be honest, everything way above this price range surprisingly looks like an appliance from the 70th. So Lagom is truly a "just right" grinder for me on paper, too bad I have to deal with quality issues though.

JAMESE

#1419: Post by JAMESE »

I am also having the issue where I have to grind just off the chirping point to get close to a 1 to 2 ratio at 25 seconds for espresso. I suspect I have one of the faulty units?

Also, the new de-clumper screen doesn't seem to be a very good design and after a few espressos, it will start distributing the grinds to the right of the portafilter.

I cleaned the de-clumper screen and then after 2 espressos, this is how clogged it got. I am doing 2 sprays of the beans before grinding.

Out of the box, my grinder was full of grinds and making a clicking sound. I contacted Option O and they said to adjust the de-clumper screen as it was touching the sweeper. I did this and thankfully it fixed the horrible sound.

I have contacted Option O and waiting for their reply. I would assume if they have identified a faulty batch of SSP burrs they would have contacted everyone directly with a fix.

Purchased directly from Option O's website and shipped from Shenzhen, China

VoidedTea

#1420: Post by VoidedTea »

fruitfly wrote: Mine arrived yesterday, and has stock burrs installed, plus SSP multipurpose burrs. For me, the chirp sounded as expected, and I get the required fineness at 1.0 large division above the chirping point with the stock burrs. I will try several coffees so that my wife and I can get a reference for the stock burrs, and then switch to the SSP and compare.
By the way, could you share what is your serial number at the bottom of the grinder? It is the large one under the bar code.